More Efficient Ways to Transport goods

furball444

1 hour ago, Richt3a said:

We're obviously thinking  further down the line than you are fella , much like hinterland has as their long term roadmap mentions ways to travel .. Canoe , horses and maybe the odd husky and the possibilities of  long distance travel .. Both would  probably require a partnership with an animal ? Just like man has done for hundreds of years !! .. I'll wave at you while your dragging your sled through the thick snow as I zip on by discovering new adventures .. Zoo? , a few tame animals wouldn't spoil it and of course You have  choices in the game to do either .. Maybe just kill everything and eat it then pop back to your cave ..haha 

I'm simply telling you that deer are NOT domesticatable, and if you're gonna add tameable wolves, just add some freaking dogs instead.

1 hour ago, furball444 said:

I like the idea of domesticating wolves, but this is a little far-fetched. It's possible but takes hundreds and hundreds of years to fully domesticate an animal. It's not as easy as taking a pup out of the pup's den and expecting it to grow up into a normal domesticated dog. However, I would like to see some kind of animal companion (something that is already domesticated or is close to domestication such as a wild horse or stray dog). 

This is what quite a few people on this thread are trying to get to. Thank you for also being sensible.

P.S. To anyone I may have angered, I apologize. I really love this game and don't want it to go to heck. Most ideas are very good. Some are just not going to further improve the quality of the game. As Kaisentlaia said, it would take in-game YEARS to "tame" a wolf pup into something semi-useful. The developers aren't exactly planning for you to survive for years in-game. It's just not practical to add tameable animals besides stray dogs.

22 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I'm simply telling you that deer are NOT domesticatable, and if you're gonna add tameable wolves, just add some freaking dogs instead.

This is what quite a few people on this thread are trying to get to. Thank you for also being sensible.

P.S. To anyone I may have angered, I apologize. I really love this game and don't want it to go to heck. Most ideas are very good. Some are just not going to further improve the quality of the game. As Kaisentlaia said, it would take in-game YEARS to "tame" a wolf pup into something semi-useful. The developers aren't exactly planning for you to survive for years in-game. It's just not practical to add tameable animals besides stray dogs.

Taming is the process of habituating an animal to humans , it has been done with deer thou there skittish nature and very aggressive behaviours when older isnt the perfect candidate.. Maybe reindeer instead , well it works for Santa 

On 6.1.2017 at 2:23 AM, furball444 said:

Just yesterday I was playing the Long Dark. I just got done looting all of mystery lake. It's day twenty-five and I'm getting low on food, and decided that it's probably best to travel to a different region. But there's one problem, I have 60 Kilograms worth of goodies. Now I can only carry 35 with still being able to run. I decided to take 45 kilograms with me and had to sacrifice my ability to run. I had to sacrifice the other 15 kilograms worth of supplies which included a mountaineering rope, pry bar, and a lot of antiseptic.  

This is a problem for me and I'm guessing a lot of other people, so I think we need some more efficient ways to transport stuffs. These are some ideas I have;

Backpacks Expanded: You don't start out with a backpack and you can find different sizes to store more items. 

Sled: You can load items onto the sled and pull it on the snow. 

Duffle bags: Can hold more items than a backpack, but requires a hand to carry.

What do you guys think?

I think that you are ready to play at the next difficulty LVL :) 

I do like the idea of finding bigger backpacks but I suppose we can't go to much with the weight to keep it realistic .ive had the same problem on most maps including timberwolf mountain. I moved everything down to pleasant valley , I mean everything!! Haha , it took several trips back and fourth. I really can't leave anything behind .. 435 days in and going strong ?

Just make two trips.

If you are actually trying to see how long you can survive, making a second trip gives you something to do. What else will you do? If like me you get bored and continually start new games on a whim, you will not need all that stuff you left behind.

18 hours ago, SteelFire said:

How quickly do you think this pup is going to grow up and become useful? You're going to need a good in-game year before that pup is big enough, strong enough, and well trained enough to be of assistance in taking down game, and especially in your above scenario of helping to haul a sled.

As to this a realistic time would be around 190-230 days after obtaining said cub.

The idea is to make it hard enough for 1 to be all you could feasibly take care of. Not push button get bacon.

I have no idea why everyone assumes I'm inferring that it would be a simple feat or that it wouldn't take a monumental effort to attain look at the ordeal you have to go through just to make improvised knives and axes... This would be no different.  During the training phase and ageing your pup would be more likely to die kill you or cause you to starve should you choose to feed it and forget yourself.

The reality is this is in fact a practice in many of the nomadic tribes who have the same amount (realistically speaking) of gear and technology available.

It's difficulty curve would run as such to further put you off balance until late game (300+ days) at which point you would only get a slight gain of faster travel and a distraction proc at a wolf or bear attack and likely lose the pup anyway.

Would it not be more of an authentic challenge to try to improve your available technology and mobility than to just amble about alone?  Surely at some point from a realistic stand point you'd go completely insane from the lonleynes.  So then does it turn into survival until you're insane with ample resources at hand and little to do but walk... For crying out loud Tom Hanks had Wilson... Why not a Wolfson to paraphrase.

Yeah a person isn't taming a wolf. While dogs came to be domesticated from wolfs, it's a process that happened over thousands of years with selective breeding. You aren't just picking a wolf cub up at the nearest den and having a companion. You would be just as likely to do it with a lion cub. 

If if people want a companion animal, it would be better if it was a lost dog that you found. That said - I friggen HATE where we currently are at with companion AI. It's completely unconvincing. I mean the wild animals in game already act weird as hell and all they have to do is run away from you.

Archived