More Efficient Ways to Transport goods

furball444

Just yesterday I was playing the Long Dark. I just got done looting all of mystery lake. It's day twenty-five and I'm getting low on food, and decided that it's probably best to travel to a different region. But there's one problem, I have 60 Kilograms worth of goodies. Now I can only carry 35 with still being able to run. I decided to take 45 kilograms with me and had to sacrifice my ability to run. I had to sacrifice the other 15 kilograms worth of supplies which included a mountaineering rope, pry bar, and a lot of antiseptic.  

This is a problem for me and I'm guessing a lot of other people, so I think we need some more efficient ways to transport stuffs. These are some ideas I have;

Backpacks Expanded: You don't start out with a backpack and you can find different sizes to store more items. 

Sled: You can load items onto the sled and pull it on the snow. 

Duffle bags: Can hold more items than a backpack, but requires a hand to carry.

What do you guys think?

A craftable sled would be awesome.  I've got 120 pounds in meat/food/drinks alone at my cabin on Coastal Highway right now.  About day 30.  Need to head back from the Rikken forge with my 30 arrowheads and a bunch of other stuff I left behind when I moved from Hibernia to Coastal Highway.

The only issue I have with these types of things would be them 'making the game too easy'.  I don't want to start the argument, but part of what makes TLD a blast to play is all of the constant struggles between resources.  How much food do you bring for a three hour walk?  It's warm out right now, should I leave this heavy coat here so I can carry more stuff back?  All of that makes the game awesome (to me).  

If I could toss 100 pounds of gear on a sled and drag it behind me I have to make a lot less decisions.  BUT... that would/could make for some really interesting deep runs and other play styles (like never staying "indoors").  Of course if someone didn't want to use it they could just... not use it.  That's another nice part about TLD. :)

Chance to lose times out the back?

Honestly tho - I think the best option would be 'spreading out' the maps a little. Basically make them like....x1.5-2? the size they currently are, but keep the same amount of locations. Just make the distances between some of the places further. I think the game world seems a little 'small' at the moment.....

Sleds.....that perhaps cannot go thru the mines? Some of the mines have only crawl spaces to navigate thru, some have narrow ledges..... some like the railroad bridge or the damn would not be possible to move the sled over anyhow (which is a good thing in my opinion) So maybe sleds can't cross maps? then again, maybe it is certain maps.... from ML to FM you could go thru the tunnel, as it is currently, with a sled, however they could re-model that tunnel with rocks to prevent that (climb up and over or crawl thru....)

In reality the only use for sleds is to move a lot of stuff or very heavy stuff (moose, bear) a great distance and still keep your protection (gun, clothing, etc) with you. In a survival situation, unless you are Les Stroud and moving your cameras back and forth, you would likely find a way to take as much as you could if you had to move as resources became scarce. 

2 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

some like the railroad bridge or the damn would not be possible to move the sled over anyhow (which is a good thing in my opinion) So maybe sleds can't cross maps?

I agree there should be restrictions if sleds are ever introduced.  And I wouldn't mind seeing random problems with the sled occur, as well.  Snag a piece of it on a rock, get it stuck somehow, part or all of you and/or the sled fall into a hole, etc.  Maybe something like what used to happen to the wagon in the Oregon Trail game - broken axle or wheel.

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

I agree there should be restrictions if sleds are ever introduced.  And I wouldn't mind seeing random problems with the sled occur, as well.  Snag a piece of it on a rock, get it stuck somehow, part or all of you and/or the sled fall into a hole, etc.  Maybe something like what used to happen to the wagon in the Oregon Trail game - broken axle or wheel.

yeah, fall thru the ice and lose all your stuff! fall down a steep incline and stuff gets lost or buried in the snow etc.

1 minute ago, AZHockeyNut said:

yeah, fall thru the ice and lose all your stuff!

Oh man!  Can you imagine how it would feel if you pulled all your stuff a really long way and then just as you're about to get there you cross a river or something and splash!  All your stuff is wet and some of it lost! 

Agreed.  It would then stand to reason the taming wolf cub idea I posted in wishes. You could then have the wolf or pair of wolves (limit 2 as in all reality this game is about struggle)  and get on the sled. 1 wolf would be you plus 15kg of gear 2 would be you plus 25kg (assuming you're carrying 25kg of gear).

2 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Nice ideas!  Something else that can add balance is when a sled is pulled over something other than snow, it is damaged and the player has to repair it.

2 hours ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

Agreed.  It would then stand to reason the taming wolf cub idea I posted in wishes. You could then have the wolf or pair of wolves (limit 2 as in all reality this game is about struggle)  and get on the sled. 1 wolf would be you plus 15kg of gear 2 would be you plus 25kg (assuming you're carrying 25kg of gear).

That's starting to push it a bit.  Whispering wild wolves to pull as pack animals is starting to get pretty fanciful.

22 hours ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

Not the adults but have a wolf den with pups. You steal a pup while the mom is out or kill her outright and raise the cub. The practice has been done for centuries and still continues today.

Probably not by random pilot who crashed in the wilderness. I figure, bare minimum you would need some experience with dogs. 

On 1/6/2017 at 9:23 AM, AZHockeyNut said:

Sleds.....that perhaps cannot go thru the mines? Some of the mines have only crawl spaces to navigate thru, some have narrow ledges..... some like the railroad bridge or the damn would not be possible to move the sled over anyhow (which is a good thing in my opinion) So maybe sleds can't cross maps? then again, maybe it is certain maps.... from ML to FM you could go thru the tunnel, as it is currently, with a sled, however they could re-model that tunnel with rocks to prevent that (climb up and over or crawl thru....)

In reality the only use for sleds is to move a lot of stuff or very heavy stuff (moose, bear) a great distance and still keep your protection (gun, clothing, etc) with you. In a survival situation, unless you are Les Stroud and moving your cameras back and forth, you would likely find a way to take as much as you could if you had to move as resources became scarce. 

Agreed, this is a great solution. It should definitely remain that if you want to haul a bunch of stuff from point A to point B, you're still going to have to carry most of it on your back and make multiple trips, or give in to leaving stuff behind. Heck, the biggest single loot haul in the game is TWM, and the reality is that a sled is going to have ridiculously limited use on that map and in getting loot off that map, with all the rope climbing/descending. But, yeah, if a player wants to invest time and resources into making multiple sleds and leaving them in different territories for use, they can definitely be made to have valid pros/cons to balance them.

On 1/6/2017 at 2:27 PM, Timber Wolf said:Oh man!  Can you imagine how it would feel if you pulled all your stuff a really long way and then just as you're about to get there you cross a river or something and splash!  All your stuff is wet and some of it lost! 

And think, if your gun and bullets get wet, they're practically rendered absolutely useless!

On 1/6/2017 at 3:01 PM, Rolandtigerfish said:

23 hours ago, Rolandtigerfish said:

Not the adults but have a wolf den with pups. You steal a pup while the mom is out or kill her outright and raise the cub. The practice has been done for centuries and still continues today.

As for this, I strongly advise against it. It seems really unnecessary to go about training baby wolves. I could see someone finding a dog and befriending it, but this also pushes it. The wolves are really supposed to be a threat and not a potential friend. If the developers want to allow game wolves, they might want to just add dogs, or jackalopes for that matter.

4 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

Probably not by random pilot who crashed in the wilderness. I figure, bare minimum you would need some experience with dogs. 

I didn't mean to suggest that a wolf cub would make life easy in tld. Keep in mind that the practice of domestication has been around since about the discovery of fire. So to say it requires much study would be as far of a stretch as adding space aliens or zombies into tld. Young wildlife of all sizes have 3 needs; food, water, warmth; and they carry the instinctual ability to be impressed into a social unit by whatever provides these be it their own kind or another. Dependency impression (the nurture part of any parenting) is hard wired into every mamal on the planet. You follow what feeds you and keeps you alive and warm.

I'm not implying that it would be an easy task either.  Rather the cub would have a better chance of turning on you or dieing.

The captured and slightly (overly stressed) tamed wolf cub would have the same survival needs as your toon and if it's needs were not met it would run off, attack you, or die. True to life and completely possible. Google any reputable deep woods survival guide and you will no doubt find mention of wildlife domestication.  Most will warn you from even trying but state it is possible.

3 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

for this, I strongly advise against it. It seems really unnecessary to go about training baby wolves. I could see someone finding a dog and befriending it, but this also pushes it. The wolves are really supposed to be a threat and not a potential friend. If the developers want to allow game wolves, they might want to just add dogs, or jackalopes for that matter.

Unless you would have me believe domestic dogs just appear from magical unicorns that spawned all animals instantly into the state we know them to be today.

Let's just play devil's advocate to this whole wolf pup 'domestication' thing... and I use that word lightly, because you can never domesticate a wild animal...

Let's just ignore any realistic pack mechanics, since we don't have them in-game anyway, which would mean you'd have to wipe out most, or all, of the pack before you could walk off with a pup.

Let's also ignore the massive socialization mechanics needed, because it's not anywhere near as simple as just providing basic physical needs. Nor does that just apply to a pup, but needs constant reinforcement.

How quickly do you think this pup is going to grow up and become useful? You're going to need a good in-game year before that pup is big enough, strong enough, and well trained enough to be of assistance in taking down game, and especially in your above scenario of helping to haul a sled.

I must agree with @SteelFire on this. Even if the game was so far from reality to allow you to tame and train a wolf pup, it would take an insanely long time for it to grow up enough to be of any use. Finding an adult dog could be more believable but still, it being immediately useful would require a big suspension of disbelief (for me at least) since dog training requires a long time and not all dogs are easy to train.

I think the sled idea is excellent, it wouldn't  take much crafting skills but would really help ... Now my minds getting really carried away , of course far down the line with this one but the possibilities of making traps to catch Deers or stags or some other animal they could maybe introduce??  then crafting a crude fence around them , feed them and eventually tame them . I could just see myself driving a sled with 2 stag ahead .. This would allow you to cover NEW baron land which you would normally die trying to cross on foot ? Very exciting 

Well the plane wing hollowed out with the hacksaw and using a mountaineering rope....That makes a sled...A freaking heavy one....

Maybe a door from a cargo container, tools, a couple crates lashed together? Smaller and more primitive but more in line with what our characters can do.

It could be dragged but what about ridden down hill? Wheeeeee! A high probability of injury or breakage? 

3 hours ago, Richt3a said:

I think the sled idea is excellent, it wouldn't  take much crafting skills but would really help ... Now my minds getting really carried away , of course far down the line with this one but the possibilities of making traps to catch Deers or stags or some other animal they could maybe introduce??  then crafting a crude fence around them , feed them and eventually tame them . I could just see myself driving a sled with 2 stag ahead .. This would allow you to cover NEW baron land which you would normally die trying to cross on foot ? Very exciting 

I'm sorry to say, but the wolf domestication idea is more likely to be inputted than the domestication of deer. Full grown deer cannot be tamed. They can also jump upwards of 8 feet in the air, so no crude fence would hold them in, unless you build one nine feet high... I would not go through that work.

The original idea was simple: craft a sled that YOU can drag around and carry lots more stuff on, and maybe, based on other threads, you could let it go if you need to run away.

Look, the ideas are authentic, but it would just turn tld into zoo tycoon in a matter of seconds. If you guys wanna go tame wolves and deer, go right ahead. I'll make an army of domesticated rabbits and ride off into the sunset like Radagast the Brown.

31 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I'm sorry to say, but the wolf domestication idea is more likely to be inputted than the domestication of deer. Full grown deer cannot be tamed. They can also jump upwards of 8 feet in the air, so no crude fence would hold them in, unless you build one nine feet high... I would not go through that work.

The original idea was simple: craft a sled that YOU can drag around and carry lots more stuff on, and maybe, based on other threads, you could let it go if you need to run away.

Look, the ideas are authentic, but it would just turn tld into zoo tycoon in a matter of seconds. If you guys wanna go tame wolves and deer, go right ahead. I'll make an army of domesticated rabbits and ride off into the sunset like Radagast the Brown.

We're obviously thinking  further down the line than you are fella , much like hinterland has as their long term roadmap mentions ways to travel .. Canoe , horses and maybe the odd husky and the possibilities of  long distance travel .. Both would  probably require a partnership with an animal ? Just like man has done for hundreds of years !! .. I'll wave at you while your dragging your sled through the thick snow as I zip on by discovering new adventures .. Zoo? , a few tame animals wouldn't spoil it and of course You have  choices in the game to do either .. Maybe just kill everything and eat it then pop back to your cave ..haha 

I like the idea of domesticating wolves, but this is a little far-fetched. It's possible but takes hundreds and hundreds of years to fully domesticate an animal. It's not as easy as taking a pup out of the pup's den and expecting it to grow up into a normal domesticated dog. However, I would like to see some kind of animal companion (something that is already domesticated or is close to domestication such as a wild horse or stray dog). 

Archived