Animal suggestion

Dandy Platypus

Okay, i was watching a national geographic film in class and it briefly mentioned mountain goats which started a train of thought on snowy goats after me and my close friend talked about it, i went home and did a few moments of research and found an animal similar to a goat does very much exist and thrives in the conditions we are exposed to in "The Long Dark"

Its called a Muskoxen and seems formidable enough to be added in the game (preferably scarce and a pain in the ass if they attack you) and it seems from a little research that against a human it could hold its ground and wouldn't back down from a challenge if you step unto its territory.

I think if one catches you, it'll charge faster than you can run when encumbered by 35+ kilograms, and it'll knock you down forcing a quick time event that isn't very difficult and less damage than a wolf attack, but only if you fight it off properly by clicking your mouse key (or "A" button) while occasionally using  A and D (or joysticks) to dodge it's sharp horns witch would do a lot of damage, after each charge it will back up, regain it's posture, grunt loudly, before pawing the ground and charging once more. this will keep you on edge and scared between moments of running away but it'll old because it will continue to charge you until: it dies, you die, or you leave its territory. 

The territory it holds shouldn't be easy to avoid or staying in one place. Every few days it will switch to where ever the NPC roams and then it will settle down and guard its land. This way they might catch you by surprise and spice up game play.

They might have a group of 2-3 but only one, the alpha, will attack you. If you kill the alpha the other 1-2 muskoxen will flee and will be difficult to catch up to but possible to kill if you line up he shot quick enough. 

Another Idea is that they'll only attack if you get too close or you if shot at, unless, its their mating season (which is summer but spring would work fine for in game)

I'll add a picture of them so you have a better idea of what i'm talking about, thanks for reading!Image result for muskoxen

20 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

The Long Dark seems to be located on the British Columbia coast, which is quite a ways southwest of Muskoxen territory, and as they are adding Moose ( to the best of my knowledge) they would be redundant anyway.

yeah actually i forgot about that, youre right. And ill keep that in mind, thank you

A bit more diversity of wildlife would be nice. I was thinking about this not long ago (not specifically about musk ox, but animals in general), and I thought that adding foxes and/or lynx into the game could work. They could be both pray animals and predators, hunting rabbits, but hunted by wolves. They could also add squirrels or mice or something else that is small that foxes and lynx hunt, and if you caught one of these animals it would only give you a little meat, and nothing else, so you would have to hunt a lot of them to make a difference. Just some ideas, but will wait and see, as I'm sure they have thought of this too.

6 minutes ago, Bjern said:

A bit more diversity of wildlife would be nice. I was thinking about this not long ago (not specifically about musk ox, but animals in general), and I thought that adding foxes and/or lynx into the game could work. They could be both pray animals and predators, hunting rabbits, but hunted by wolves. They could also add squirrels or mice or something else that is small that foxes and lynx hunt, and if you caught one of these animals it would only give you a little meat, and nothing else, so you would have to hunt a lot of them to make a difference. Just some ideas, but will wait and see, as I'm sure they have thought of this too.

I like the fox idea...something else to catch in your snare and possibly fox skin scarf??

3 minutes ago, JimmyPL56 said:

I like the fox idea...something else to catch in your snare and possibly fox skin scarf??

Indeed.

Also perhaps raccoons as another animal that you could skin. You could make fur hats with those coon tails.

Archived