New weapon: Shotgun

SDStasis

An idea I had.. A new weapon: Shotgun.. So just as the rifle we have in game this is rare loot you can find in some random locations, and you have to find ammo for it just like the rifle.

What separates this from the rifle however, I was thinking maybe the shotgun could be a defensive weapon, when a wolf's in your face or a bear aiming with a rifle is kinda eh. A shotgun could be much easier to hit with and pack more of a punch at point blank.

The downsides: As for the downsides to not make this weapon too op I was thinking it could be quite a loud weapon, and that maybe it'd spark the interest of other wolves or dangerous wildflife.

To summarize a defensive weapon with a high damage output at point blank, maybe the ammo should be even more rare for the shotgun, and the downsides is the weapon itself being really loud so other wildlife might investigate, meaning you might be saved from an immediate danger, but you have to get to shelter quickly in case other animals come.

How would a shotgun be any easier to hit a wolf in ya face with, then a rifle? The guns are roughly the same length and weight.

ohhhhh wait you mean like 'video game shotguns' that spread 4 feet an inch out of the barrel (so you hit pretty much everything on screen) , and stop working entirely another 5 feet after that, don't ya? 

Also shotgun ammo would be the least rare ammo - like as long as you had powder/primers you could almost repack ya shells by hand. Also the bright red spent casing of a shotgun are SO much easiler to find then the little brass ones from a rifles. If you bolted the rifle too soon they would melt into the snow and you would never see them - shotgun shells just sit on top because they are mostly plastic.

To be honest, I think the flare gun already does this job.

I'm not opposed in principle to shotguns being added, but I don't think they're particularly necessary. In an average in-game month, I might fire the gun maybe 5 or 6 times? This doesn't lead me to think that I need more firearms options, personally. 

I think shotguns and Canada geese should be added at the same time. Bird Hunter anyone?

As far as shooting the bear with a shotgun, i think you would basically guarantee your own death... haha! i.e. Shotguns aren't very effective against large predators.

But I do support the addition of shotguns, especially if bird hunting was added at the same time.

On 1/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, GiantAntCowboy said:

I think shotguns and Canada geese should be added at the same time. Bird Hunter anyone?

As far as shooting the bear with a shotgun, i think you would basically guarantee your own death... haha! i.e. Shotguns aren't very effective against large predators.

But I do support the addition of shotguns, especially if bird hunting was added at the same time.

I'd beg to differ on that, a 12 gauge rifled slug, or one loaded with 00Buck at close range would definitely ruin Yogi's day.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:19 AM, Mikhail_Reign said:

ohhhhh wait you mean like 'video game shotguns' that spread 4 feet an inch out of the barrel (so you hit pretty much everything on screen) , and stop working entirely another 5 feet after that, don't ya? 

I'm not an expert on shotguns, but really though. Aren't these double barreled shotguns that shoot large slugs or whatever they're called easier to hit with point blank than a rifle? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. It's still a small projectile coming out the end of a gun.  End of the gun still has to be facing the target. A slug isn't that much bigger then a bullet.

think of it this way - you are drawing a line from the end of the gun to whatever you want dead. The line is only as thick as the barrel of the gun. 

Buckshot at a couple feet is going to take care of the job on a wolf that's for sure.  Now, talking just slugs is a different story.  It really depends on the ammo and if 'birdshot', the choke.  If I had to pick which to try to hit a wild animal with when it's charging me at close range I'd take the shotgun every time.  At about 15 feet you're talking a roughly 10" pattern with a cylinder choke.  Down to about half that with more restrictive chokes.

A shotgun would fit when it comes to hunting. But the killing power should be very depended on the distance. Taking a shotgun blast in a bears face would perhaps kill it in one shot (blinded), but in real life it would definitely get a bite out of you before it would bleed out. Small game like rabbits and birds it would be ideal (real life usage). Lesser presicion needed to hit your prey.

That doubble barrel shotgun sounds good. A long reload time would perhaps balance it out a bit against a rabid wolfpack.

Perhaps a none lethal hit would put the animal in a fight mode instead of flight. Even a hurt deer is very dangerous in real life if it feels cornered.

On 07/01/2017 at 9:18 AM, SDStasis said:

Buckshot? Slugs? Maybe some shotgun expert can tell me the difference of these shotgun ammos?

Buckshot uses a small amount of little projectiles. Imagine a small handful of little ball bearings. The size of the little balls is another variable - eg: birdshot.
Slugs turn the shotgun into basically a big rifle, shooting a relatively large 'slug'.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:18 PM, SDStasis said:

Buckshot? Slugs? Maybe some shotgun expert can tell me the difference of these shotgun ammos?

Buckshot and bird shot are different sizes of pellets, the higher the number, the smaller the shot size.

A slug is a solid piece of lead which is about .70 calibre in 12 gauge and weighs an ounce or so

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html#shotgraphic

When I think shotgun I picture spread, multiple small projectiles as apposed to one single bullet. I think that should be the difference, if shotguns are introduced. A spread of pellets would make hunting birds and rabbits easier, but much less effective against larger targets like the bear or even a deer. I would imagine that what would be a safe killshot distance for a rifle would, with a shotgun, do little but enrage a bear.

Archived