Wendigo Idea (Warning: Really creepy)

furball444

The Wendigo is super-interesting, if also a bit too supernatural for our vision of Mother Nature in the game. 

As far as a more extensive "stress" or mental health system in The Long Dark, we touch on that just a little with Cabin Fever. But responses to this approach have been controversial, for sure, and we continue to evaluate whether these kinds of gameplay systems would be right for the world we're building. It's a delicate balance we're well-aware of. :)

22 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

The Wendigo is super-interesting, if also a bit too supernatural for our vision of Mother Nature in the game. 

As far as a more extensive "stress" or mental health system in The Long Dark, we touch on that just a little with Cabin Fever. But responses to this approach have been controversial, for sure, and we continue to evaluate whether these kinds of gameplay systems would be right for the world we're building. It's a delicate balance we're well-aware of. :)

Yeah, I originally wanted it because i felt the Wendigo would be perfect for the Long Dark's setting and atmosphere. When stories are told of the Wendigo, they are usually in a rural place up North (Northern united states and Cananda) during a harsh winter. In fact the harsh winter is actually what forces a person to become a Wendigo. The other thing is you almost always know what to expect after playing awhile (After you have mastered survival) in TLD. I thought adding a Wendigo would cause some unexpected things to happen. But now I understand, adding a Wendigo would not be a good idea. This whole idea of realism would be removed from the game. Bad suggestion if the game is based off of realism. 

I feel that some people have the wrong idea of what it is. There are many versions, but realistically, a wendigo can simply be a normal person (that as gone insane) who hunts and eats others to survive. People thinks it's some kind of "monster", well it can be, but it can also be a normal person who is just suffering from a mental disease. 

I still want the Wendigo to be added, just not to the official game. It would be an awesome Mod or Halloween easter egg.  

I'm of Native descent and I have heard of the Wendigo countless times even though my tribe is in the south-eastern United States.

I'm not a superstitious individual so I just thought it was some old bogeyman line of horse sh*t which was a common story often told to teach children not to be greedy and more times than not, to "Behave or the Wendigo will come eat you."

But to clarify the confusion, if I may, the Wendigo does not look like those pictures.

It is considered tall, skinny, and lanky with pale fur covering yellowish and jaundice colored skin. It's supposed to have large sharp canine teeth with a gaping maul whom of which craves human flesh and in itself is very feral like. It is said to have razor sharp talons and coal black eyes with ribs that protrude from it's sagging skin.

The legend goes as this:

During the harshest of winters there would be a lack of food in the tribe.

Hunting would be sparse for that particular winter or there would be a lack of crops to eat due to an early winter.

People would get hungry and be tempted by the Wendigo (as a demonic spirit which you sometimes cannot see) to prey on your own tribesmen.

Once you succumb to it's evil and you have eaten an individual, the Wendigo's evil spirit now possesses you and you continue to eat other tribesmen ravenously until no one in the tribe remains.

Hence it stopped people from being greedy by taking more from the land than they should as there could be a shortage during the next winter and your tribe would not exist because someone had invited evil into your camp by consuming a human due to starvation.

But it is said that when you are on your own in the wilderness during a harsh winter, away from your fellow friends and family, that the Wendigo (As a demonic spirit or an actual person who has become one due to eating people) stalks you just beyond sight.

If you hear a noise just outside the campfire, or if you catch a glimpse of a branch swaying for no reason as if someone moved through the trees, it could be a Wendigo as you never see them until your ultimate demise as the Wendigo is picking the meat from your ribs often while you're still alive.

People who disappear into the wilderness during winter are often said to have been eaten by a Wendigo.

But, in my opinion, it's just a bunch of hocus-pocus that originated a long time ago. Could it exist? Maybe. But I doubt it.

I don't think it should be in TLD as you cannot shoot and kill an evil entity.

In real life (for lack of a better term) the Wendigo's malevolent spirit would just move on and possess the next weakest individual in your camp who would then be tempted to kill and eat someone.

It's a vicious cycle that Native Americans and First Nations People are said to have endured.

"Eat up kiddos, that "Three Sisters Stew" is going to get cold. We don't want that awful Wendigo to come knocking this winter when there is no more to eat."

That's what the elderly ladies in my tribe would tell us kids way back in the day.

It worked well, it scared us into eating our food. Haha. :D

Perhaps some realistic kind of hallucinations on very rare occasions if your character's sanity starts to be really affected for whatever reason, like a blur of something past your eye for a moment that looks like an animal or person, but you quickly realize that it isn't. This is the closest I'd go with this sort of thing - Mods should be satisfactory otherwise. Could add some creepiness to the game while remaining realistic to true to life.

Archived