New animal: Lynx | Wolf packs

SDStasis

Often when you roam around in the game right now you find lone wolves. For me I see lone wolves tons more than when I see them in a pack, and I find that quite weird considering wolves are pack animals that most often roam in packs. So my idea was, we add a new animal the Lynx. Lynx are catlike solitary animals, meaning they hunt for prey alone. Even though Lynx generally don't hunt humans they can get up to the size of a small mountain lion, and they can definitely be dangerous. So instead of having these lone wolves we replace them with Lynx, I imagine Lynx would also try to be more quiet and sneaky than what wolves currently are.

Then we change wolves so you almost always see them in packs. (And because of this, they should probably be more rare.) I imagine wolf packs in The Long Dark would be quite audible at distance with their howling, so you get almost like a warning where you better run to shelter before they catch up to you. 

I also imagine wolf packs having much longer detection radius than what they currently have, they're wolves goddamnit. (And once again to balance this out, you can hear them at distance before they charge at you).

Summary:

New animal: Lynx

Lynx replaces lone wolves

Wolves no longer roam alone, they always run in packs

Wolf packs are quite audible at distance which gives you a clear warning that you should get away before they chase you down

1280px-Canadian_lynx_by_Keith_Williams.jpg

There is mention of wolfpacks in the roadmap, but is obviously not a guarantee. They would be very overpowered in the sense that if you ended up running into a pack, it would mean death for you. I would like to see realism, but again, realism isn't THE goal of the game. In real life, wolves generally try to avoid humans, not hunt them down and viciously tear them to pieces. That's where the problem of having wolfpacks in game comes into play. If a pack of wolves that behave like the lone wolves right now, you would have no chance of survival. So as much as I would like to see realism, I don't know how healthy it would really be for the game.

As for the lynx, I love the idea, have even suggested it once myself, but instead of replacing the lone wolves, just add them to the game as is. The game strongly lacks wildlife activity, even for a post-apocalyptic game. When the only animals are bears, wolves, deer, and rabbits (crows don't count because you can't interact with them), you really find something lacking in the hustle-and-bustle of a normal forest. I do think they should be hostile if provoked (more likely injured or cornered than anything else), but the question arises as to what they would do to you. Surely it wouldn't queue in a melee scene in which you beat it off, they're much too small (small-mountain lion size is probably accurate, but is also an outlier-not a normal size for a lynx). I can't think of what would happen, so does anyone have ideas?

47 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

There is mention of wolfpacks in the roadmap, but is obviously not a guarantee. They would be very overpowered in the sense that if you ended up running into a pack, it would mean death for you. I would like to see realism, but again, realism isn't THE goal of the game. In real life, wolves generally try to avoid humans, not hunt them down and viciously tear them to pieces. That's where the problem of having wolfpacks in game comes into play. If a pack of wolves that behave like the lone wolves right now, you would have no chance of survival. So as much as I would like to see realism, I don't know how healthy it would really be for the game.

As for the lynx, I love the idea, have even suggested it once myself, but instead of replacing the lone wolves, just add them to the game as is. The game strongly lacks wildlife activity, even for a post-apocalyptic game. When the only animals are bears, wolves, deer, and rabbits (crows don't count because you can't interact with them), you really find something lacking in the hustle-and-bustle of a normal forest. I do think they should be hostile if provoked (more likely injured or cornered than anything else), but the question arises as to what they would do to you. Surely it wouldn't queue in a melee scene in which you beat it off, they're much too small (small-mountain lion size is probably accurate, but is also an outlier-not a normal size for a lynx). I can't think of what would happen, so does anyone have ideas?

To be honest, I don't really care if lone wolves are kept or removed. I just want some kind of cat added to TLD. Lynx aren't like wolves, so there would need to be a new a unique fighting seen. I was thinking maybe the Lynx doesn't pounce but instead it comes of and bites your leg (considering the lynx is more similar to a domestic house cat than a cougar). It wouldn't hurt you as much as a wolf but could maybe cause clothing tear (because of claws) and infection.

My idea as a whole with the wolves are that we make them more rare, and to compensate for it we add other wildlife that roam alone. The first thing that came to my mind was the Lynx, and yeah I think you're right. Lynx shouldn't be as dangerous as a wolf, and there'd have to be some new fighting style for the Lynx. I think maybe a sort of Hit & Run thing could work? Quite like you said yourself, they run in, get a bite off your leg, makes quite a decent wound, with the risk of infection, then they'd run off again.

(I'm also trying to come up with other ideas of wildlife that could take the place of lone wolves now, in the scenario that they get changed the way I think they should.)

Archived