Items to be able to craft or create

Selenologist

I'd like to see the option to create a spear by using a hunting knife, leather, and a fir or cedar branch.

You would need a hatchet to collect and put a split in the branch, next you cut the leather into strips, boil them to make it stretch then you put the knife in the split and braid around the handle with the leather, when it dries it will shrink and hold the knife fast in the end of the branch. Thus giving the game a weapon that need not be reloaded and allowing safer travels in or around wolves, it would need to be hard to make and maintain, but worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, but I'd rather use something else for the spear point. I don't want to waste a perfectly good knife for this. With the knife, you could easily carve a spear point out of bone (from a dead deer/ wolf) and use that. You could also use the knife to split the wood, so you don't need a hatchet to make the spear.

True that, also a knife on top of your creation would be too heavy at the tip to use it effectively as a spear, the tip would continually slant downwards when you throw it. you want your tip to have the same or lower average weight per centimeter as the rest of the branch.

If you used a kitchen knife instead, we could talk about that, but again, creating a tip out of bone or stone is more effective.

Unless you want to use the spear as a long-ranged hand-combat weapon, in which case a hunting knife will do just fine.

Archived