Are bear/wolf attacks random when you sleep

Fluffy23

Attacks aren't really scripted, but rather depend on the location where you sleep. Some regions are always safe no matter what, simply because they aren't inhabited by bears or wolves in general. Other locations - if at this point of time inhabited by wolves or bears, that is - come with a risk that you might be attacked while sleeping there (unless you have a bearskin bedroll).

It's hard to tell whether this is a purely statistical risk or if the game really simulates animal movement patterns while you sleep - I guess only the Devs can tell that for sure. What I do know, however, are the following details:

- Bears are not meant to attack you if you sleep on ledges while climbing ropes. If this happens, please report it as a bug.

- Sleeping next to a fire should prevent wolf attacks. Not sure about bears (as I generally avoid sleeping in bear territories alltogether while the bear is still alive), but at least I've never been attacked by a wolf while sleeping next to a fire.

- Sleeping inside a bearskin bedroll prevents wolf attacks very reliably. I haven't been attacked a single time inside a bear bedroll yet.

- Snow shelters do (afaik) not generally count as safe locations, but rather work like the crouching mechanics. Meaning a wolf or bear can wander nearby without noticing you, but IF it becomes aware of you, you will be attacked. So I generally wouldn't recommend sleeping in such situations where a predator is nearby.^^

I hope this answers some of your questions. ;)

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Attacks aren't really scripted, but rather depend on the location where you sleep.

are you sure about that? Way way back around v180 I was sleeping once in the old Ravine and got attacked by a wolf, never ever did I encounter a wolf before or after in the Ravine. Yes it's many versions ago but I haven't read something in the changelist that suggested they have worked on that, other than "tuned wildlife behaviour".

59 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

are you sure about that? Way way back around v180 I was sleeping once in the old Ravine and got attacked by a wolf, never ever did I encounter a wolf before or after in the Ravine. Yes it's many versions ago but I haven't read something in the changelist that suggested they have worked on that, other than "tuned wildlife behaviour".

Hum. It's just a guess of mine, but that probably happened because the old Ravine (at the time when it consisted solely of the rail bridge) wasn't marked as wolf-free region back then. And about being sure... well, not 100% of course, how could I?^^

It's just that my previous experiences make me believe that predator attacks (while you're sleeping) don't just "happen" by default, but can be entirely avoided if you choose your sleeping place carefully (= neither in a bear, nor in a wolf territory). At least I haven't been attacked a single time in my sleep during the last year.

Archived