Moose and your ideas?

AZHockeyNut

Sooner or later we will get Moose, most likely in FM I believe. So, given that those great animals produce a lot of meat, what do you think your strategy will be to pack all of that out?

We don't have sleds, there are no great shelters to camp out at, it can be along hike to get the food to a base camp, so I was curious.

Since none of the animals steal food currently, you could cook it all and leave it there coming back as light as possible to move it, or make a snow shelter part of the way back to ML to store some, but I was wondering what strategies you might be thinking of. 

10 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

but I was wondering what strategies you might be thinking of. 

I don't like to carry meat very far, if I don't have to.  So, I always try to lure the predators or drive the deer close to one of my bases (even if only a temporary base).  If the moose have even more meat than the bears do, this sort of strategy will become even more important.

If I would need to move all the meat a longer distance, I would likely do as you suggested - cook it all up, leave it, and then retrieve it as I am able.  I am not at all interested in seeing this game made more "realistic", but it just seems so silly that I can leave tons of meat outside and none of the animals even notice it!

The only difference I would do, is not cook it right away. Harvest it all and leave it, transporting it back in loads. Cook it as you get it back to a base location or once you've transported it all back; depending on your need and plan. The logic behind that is the fact that cooking pushes the condition of the meat back up a decent amount, so you can take advantage of that mechanic to allow some degradation while getting it transported and then cook it back up to a much better condition.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 3:08 AM, AZHockeyNut said:

Sooner or later we will get Moose, most likely in FM I believe. So, given that those great animals produce a lot of meat, what do you think your strategy will be to pack all of that out?

We don't have sleds, there are no great shelters to camp out at, it can be along hike to get the food to a base camp, so I was curious.

Since none of the animals steal food currently, you could cook it all and leave it there coming back as light as possible to move it, or make a snow shelter part of the way back to ML to store some, but I was wondering what strategies you might be thinking of. 

Carve a hole in it and climb inside to survive a blizzard... à la tonton style ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think wolves will come and eat animals you leave behind, but not the dropped, harvested meat. I wish there was a badge that would allow you to carry more than just 30kg and still be able to sprint, which would help a lot with packing out meat (especially bears and the upcoming moose). When I go hunting/fishing I make sure I only take the bare minimum in weight of clothing/gear/tools just in case. 

1 hour ago, NorseRaven99 said:

I think wolves will come and eat animals you leave behind, but not the dropped, harvested meat. I wish there was a badge that would allow you to carry more than just 30kg and still be able to sprint, which would help a lot with packing out meat (especially bears and the upcoming moose). When I go hunting/fishing I make sure I only take the bare minimum in weight of clothing/gear/tools just in case. 

I just want a sled.  That way you can schlep it all back at once.  Well maybe not the bear meat :)

Absolutely we need the sled. It makes no sense to have a large game animal which cannot be transported except by dragging a quarter at a time. I would prefer to see a realistic implementation of hunting and food processing. It remains to be seen if the game moves in this direction. Currently, the game is just an interesting set of trade-offs but seems to lack detail in the most important aspects of survival: Hunting, game calls, fishing lures & flies, diverse snares, diverse weapons, containers, cordage, transportation options (sleds & sledges for summer), wood processing, cooking, shelter building, clothing and hide processing. But of all the diverse ideas, the best options for game play would seem to be more animals  and richer animal behaviours.

I wanted to add some ideas about moose calling, which are vitally important to successful moose hunting. I have a video series on the whole subject of moose hunting called Moose Madness. Here is a YouTube video introducing the series. Please note that there is a rich set of videos on moose hunting freely available on YouTube. The dangers of moose seem to be a neglected topic with people foolishly interacting with moose on video. A moose can easily kill an unarmed person. Take heed!

Archived