Multiple firearms/bows/pistols/shotgun that could add challenge/disappointment to survival.

unavailableartist

Let me begin with, who in the worlds uses a Lee Enfield XD. It's like the rarest rifle from my home in the country. Any ways my suggestion to add variety of firearms (but keep it rare like you do so now). Suggestions of calibres based on popularity:

1:) 22 LR. It's good against birds, and small game. You can also kill a deer if you're lucky.

2:) .223/5.56 Nato, also very common can kill up to a deer.

3:) 30/30 popular hunting rifle hits hard.

4:) .243 A little small but if you're lucky it will kill bear.

5:) .270 popular flat trajectory hunting caliber.

6:) .308/7.62 Nato hits hardest of all.

How it works most of the rifles spawn on map. But some rifles you probably wont find ammo for ever, some rare. Other mentions 30-06 or 25-06.

Hunting compound or recurve bow.

Compound has sights which could aid in bow hunting. It however only uses carbon/aluminum arrows (shooting wooden arrows can be dangerous).

Recurve is just a factory made bow you can find.

Pistols are useful for close encounters but terrible over all. Bad acc. only good against wolves when they are about to pounce.

Suggestions:

1. 9mm
  2. .45
  3. .357

And lastly a 12 gauge shotgun. For bird hunting and taking out big game at point blank.

Round types:

1: Hollow point/ballistic tip (massive damage, will likely take one shot in rifles). Rare.

2: Training metals jackets (not so potent, multiple shots) more common.

3: Carbon fiber arrows. (can be repaired, sharpened).

4: Buck shot (good against large game), Bird shot (shot at crows and other birds if any).

Now about the frustration. You may pickup one of these hefty fire arms (up 10 lbs) and find absolutely no ammunition for it, you may find nothing but another caliber. Which is why you should find ammunition first then the rifle.

Not trying to make that way exactly either. But there is some hunting this game XD. I'm not trying to add more weapons/ammo (per survival instance), just making each one unique in what firearms you can and can't use if any.

Besides the .308 is by far this most common and modern ammo used (.303 is obsolete, especially if you're going to set this in 2019). It just makes sense to me that in a frontier there would several types of firearms you could use. Beside I didn't mention calls/baits etc. people use to attract wildlife.

21 hours ago, unavailableartist said:

Let me begin with, who in the worlds uses a Lee Enfield XD. It's like the rarest rifle from my home in the country. Any ways my suggestion to add variety of firearms (but keep it rare like you do so now). Suggestions of calibres based on popularity:

1:) 22 LR. It's good against birds, and small game. You can also kill a deer if you're lucky.

How it works most of the rifles spawn on map. But some rifles you probably wont find ammo for ever, some rare. Other mentions 30-06 or 25-06.

Compound has sights which could aid in bow hunting. It however only uses carbon/aluminum arrows (shooting wooden arrows can be dangerous).

Pistols are useful for close encounters but terrible over all. Bad acc. only good against wolves when they are about to pounce.

Suggestions:

1. 9mm
  2. .45
  3. .357

And lastly a 12 gauge shotgun. For bird hunting and taking out big game at point blank.

Round types:

1: Hollow point/ballistic tip (massive damage, will likely take one shot in rifles). Rare.

4: Buck shot (good against large game), Bird shot (shot at crows and other birds if any).

Now about the frustration. You may pickup one of these hefty fire arms (up 10 lbs) and find absolutely no ammunition for it, you may find nothing but another caliber. Which is why you should find ammunition first then the rifle.

I love this idea and have, in fact, asked for this as well. Everyone's point here is valid, though. I don't live in Mother Canada, but I do know that people from Minnesota, where black bears are considered annoying pests, all own rifles easily capable of taking down a bear. And with the possible advent of grizzly bears, a bigger caliber will be needed. I like the idea of different types of ammo, but then you are turning this game into that outrageous game theHunter. That is the biggest challenge of making ths game. It's obvious that the developer want a totally unique game, and if you lean too much to one side, the game just becomes a game parallel to other games, of which there is nothing new.  For example, on the one hand, you have theHunter, a hunting game, and on the other, you have Rust. Both are ok, but are the opposite of what the Long Dark is supposed to be. I hope this makes more sense.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:20 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I love this idea and have, in fact, asked for this as well. Everyone's point here is valid, though. I don't live in Mother Canada, but I do know that people from Minnesota, where black bears are considered annoying pests, all own rifles easily capable of taking down a bear. And with the possible advent of grizzly bears, a bigger caliber will be needed. I like the idea of different types of ammo, but then you are turning this game into that outrageous game theHunter. That is the biggest challenge of making ths game. It's obvious that the developer want a totally unique game, and if you lean too much to one side, the game just becomes a game parallel to other games, of which there is nothing new.  For example, on the one hand, you have theHunter, a hunting game, and on the other, you have Rust. Both are ok, but are the opposite of what the Long Dark is supposed to be. I hope this makes more sense.

Likewise I hope that this game isn't free to play and keep its survival elements. As I said, the idea is to keep the same limited ammunition and weapons per survival instance, add more variety to keep that fresh take on things. Like I said you may have games, due to the spawning where rifle X, y, Z wont spawn at all but Q will. Tops you may only maybe two types of rifle that will be usable in this game they'll just look/sound/and act different.

As for the bows/arrows, I already see arrows randomly spawned on the map.

Some stuff I wouldn't be too disappointed if they don't include it. I.e.

Pistols,

the smaller caliber rifles.

But the other stuff should be quite common.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, Mikhail_Reign said:

Wait - 3ort3's are't as common as sand at a beach? They are THE hunting gun here. After WWII everyone and their dog had one - since they weren't targeted by any buy backs ther is one in most farm sheds. I figured since Canada was Commomwealth then too it would be a similar deal.

Yes, I wasn't saying they aren't common, just they're as common as led to believe. The Canadian "online" have trouble stocking this ammo type, .308/30-06/.300 Mag are what considered most flexible in the hunting in Canada according to some sites.  But many don't like the .300 Mag due to its massive kick and expense, leaving the .308 and 30-06 for run of the mill hunting. In Alaska (which is different than continental U.S.) these rounds also happen to be in the top of the "most popular rounds".

I do imagine the .303 (as it's quite similar to 308) is still quite popular in Canada but it's not what is recommended to newbs these days getting into hunting larger game. Many sites consider .308/ 30-06 best because of it's availability and ease of use.

Not to go too far off topic here, but if a .303 is very similar to a .308, it would be perfectly capable of taking down a black bear.  I know there's a disclaimer saying that liberties are being taken, but would shooting a bear in the *beep* really piss it off enough to straight up attack you. Black bear behavior would technically have it running away immediately. And I know that some might say that that would take the fun out of it, but honestly, if a bear is injured and loose, they will attack if come across. But it definitely makes it hard to work around a bear when a flare does not deter and you cannot openly shoot it w/o a flare gun. Comments?

According the game wiki (again I think creative liberties were taken) says that the rifle stat wise is based off of the Lee Enfield and it is severely underpowered, as a 303 would be cause 1 hit almost everything in the game :D. Though bears make take 2 or 3 shots.

To put in mind the .308 shoots a faster slightly lighter round (200gr tops) vs a slower (225gr tops). According to looking I've done, they're practically used for the same prey.

12 hours ago, unavailableartist said:

According the game wiki (again I think creative liberties were taken) says that the rifle stat wise is based off of the Lee Enfield and it is severely underpowered

Until you rank up in shooting the bullet also only travel 20m or so before it vanishes. It's so counter intuaitive. I went thought I don't know how much ammo over a decent amount of real time before I realise I wasn't actually 'missing', but the bullet was just stopping a metre or so before the target

Okay guys, time for the Doc to AWAKEN! Ok, I will be blunt, more weapons does not equal a better game, in fact, it can deter from the overall feel of the game as a whole, if I want a dizzying array of things to pop a cap in someone's ass with, I'll play battlefield, if I want to customize the hell out of my guns, I go straight up gangsta in fallout 4, now, if I want to be amazed, afraid, frustrated, and confused in a frozen landscape that wants me dead, I play this frozen little gem. Don't get me wrong, I totally think that more weapons should be implemented, but stuff like a double barrel and a revolver, not a gigaton of new guns. I want it to be tough to kill animals, and right now, it's TOO easy. When I play, I literally go outside naked with a knife, cut a wolf and mess him up a little, wait a day, and find his frozen carcass, ready to roast, it's gotta be harder man!

7 hours ago, Docterrok said:

I totally think that more weapons should be implemented, but stuff like a double barrel and a revolver, not a gigaton of new guns. I want it to be tough to kill animals, and right now, it's TOO easy. When I play, I literally go outside naked with a knife, cut a wolf and mess him up a little, wait a day, and find his frozen carcass, ready to roast, it's gotta be harder man!

I think you missunderstand... I dont want to make it an easier game by increase the amount of fire arms spawned. I want to keep it low, and sometimes even add the cruelty of spawning firearms that are useless due to the round spawn ammount/type spawned. It exactly how it would realistically be. As I could picture going through my country home town and finding plenty of rifles but not a lot of ammo to use them with. (also these allows more flexibility for a play how you want sandbox) Want a game with lots of gun spawns, pick that level.

I think I could say the same about creating a Borderlandesque game where guns take several shot to kill animals/people and "harder" difficulties just up animal health (I think it just tedious ).

Long Dark I beleive can improve the game by a few tweaks. IMHO people should be dying more from thirst and hypothermia.. than mauled to death or starving to death. In my eyes this is in this order... a post natural post apocolyptic (mass extinction), adventure, survival game. Where the oint is to survive and explore the map.

It's not a "craft everything" game i.e. rust. Not a military/coop game i.e. DAYZ. You should only have kill a handful of animals to survive but may need to stave off predators such as bears, big cats, and coyotes/dogs/wolves to get to areas.

I think if we're gonna add any more guns to the game, it should be exactly one to avoid clutter: a little bolt-action .22.  Perfect for popping rabbits, and a crit might cause a wolf or deer to start bleeding, but it would not cause charging wolves to change behavior.

On a related note, hitting a rabbit with the .303 should reduce the harvestable meat by 30-60%, since you just shredded the thing.

1 hour ago, ArmagedDan said:

I think if we're gonna add any more guns to the game, it should be exactly one to avoid clutter: a little bolt-action .22.  Perfect for popping rabbits, and a crit might cause a wolf or deer to start bleeding, but it would not cause charging wolves to change behavior.

On a related note, hitting a rabbit with the .303 should reduce the harvestable meat by 30-60%, since you just shredded the thing.

Both excellent points.

Although you can make small game rounds for a .303. It would just take a lot of skill and equipment to do so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 2:09 PM, unavailableartist said:

Suggestions:

1. 9mm
  2. .45
  3. .357

Round types:

Being a gun nut from America, I can appreciate the time and thought you've put into this. 

I would say that it's a tad excessive however. 

On the roadmap it says that a revolver will be coming. What I'm hoping for is an old Enfield revolver like this: 1287751937.jpg

Since Canada used many of the same small arms the England did during the world wars and such, it would make sense that this would be the pistol in TLD universe. I'm from America, so I don't know what the RCMP uses as their side arms. But I do know they used the Lee Enfield rifle until recently, I would bet they used the Enfield revolver at some point.

I wouldn't mind there being a double barrel side-by-side shotgun, or maybe a single shot shotgun in the game.   

I could also be persuaded with a .22LR rifle. But certainly no more. I like how this game is not a 1st person shooter, but the presence of guns in this sort of situation would be realistic.

As for the bow and arrow options, I wouldn't mind being able to find a non-craftable bow, like a recurve or something. I also really wish the arrow heads were craftable at the workbench. Forging them blacksmith style in a survival situation is not very realistic imo. You can make arrow heads out of a lot of things, I've seen them made with knapped rocks, razor blades, heck, you could make them out of darn near anything if you had a hacksaw and file. 

You didn't mention it, and I know it's been talked about exhaustively, but I would also like the spear to make an appearance in the game, or perhaps a slingshot...

Archived