Pass time and research mechanics expanded

Kaisentlaia

I saw many times people asking for a way to sit in chairs. I think it could be easily implemented (and a nice addition for the players) simply treating chairs as beds where you can't sleep, so there's only the pass time option. Harvesting them could still be possible adding a "harvest" button in the same place where the "pick up" button is placed for bedrolls.

Another thing I'd really like to see is another option added, only if there's an unfinished book in inventory: research. It would bring up a simple screen showing the available books and the same info you see when you open them in the inventory, with arrows to cycle them if more than one, research details and time to spend/time left. This could be really useful when not tired but still in need to pass time in a bedroll to get the warmth bonus: instead of wasting time, it could be invested in research time.

The chair screen could look like this:exampleUI-chair.jpg

And bed screen could look like this:
exampleUI-bed.jpg

I don't know how difficult it could be to add a research screen to beds, bedrolls and chairs, but I guess that adding the pass time screen to chairs could be relatively easy and very satisfying for players.

Thinking similarly.  Why we cannot read in bed.

Another improvement would allow the research time work similar to crafting.  If crafting for 2 hours but time of day indicates about two hours remaining and when the lights do go out partial crafting time is retained.  Now to finish crafting in the morning will take 0.18 hours.  Book reading should retain where I was in the chapter when the lights go out .  Bookmark by folding the page then I could use the lantern to finish the chapter.

Yes I agree, making research time work like crafting time would make a lot of sense.

I only wonder how having the ability to pass time in chairs would affect game balance, because I noticed that passing time in the bedroll still gives you some condition back. I think it wouldn't affect it much tho: I can't remember a place where there's a chair and not a bed, aside maybe from some ruined houses where there's a chair half buried in the snow. Maybe a mechanic like this could be implemented only in inside locations?

@KaisentlaiaPassing time gives condition because you get 1% condition per hour of 'being healthy', ie having no afflictions (risk is fine but no actual afflictions) and not freezing/starving/dehydrated/exhausted. You would be getting it back even if you were running around or doing something. So allowing you to do it in chairs wouldn't change anything.

Archived