Thin ice problem in Forlorn Muskeg

aurora

I noticed a problem in Forlorn Muskeg with the thin ice behaviour, when the ice crashes and you fall into the water: i think the character is moved a little bit, when the character will be placed on the ice again and it happend to me, that i somehow was placed in the air, fell down and died because of the injuries. Probably because i was next to an elevated landscape, when it happened. Sadly i do not really know where it exactly happened in the map.

• 1 month later...

The thin ice mechanic needs work. I'm not against there being thin ice, but 2 seconds of warning is a little short before you fall through. Also, a visual cue would be nice. The ice looks universally thick everywhere so you never know until you're standing on it. Also, when the ice will break right on the edge of a maps accessible space ( Forlorn Muskeg entered from Mystery lake and turned left ) there are spaces of thin ice that directly abut the land but the land is designated too steep to walk on, yet instead of a simple soaker, you get sying of hypothermia when it breaks. The water wouldn't be deeper than ankle there. I'm also not sure how we can light fires on thin ice and they don't melt through ( which is why I didn't think it was thin in the first place, I literally lit a fire on it to warm up and it was burning for over 30 minutes )

1 hour ago, IRCrimson said:

The thin ice mechanic needs work. I'm not against there being thin ice, but 2 seconds of warning is a little short before you fall through. Also, a visual cue would be nice. The ice looks universally thick everywhere so you never know until you're standing on it. Also, when the ice will break right on the edge of a maps accessible space ( Forlorn Muskeg entered from Mystery lake and turned left ) there are spaces of thin ice that directly abut the land but the land is designated too steep to walk on, yet instead of a simple soaker, you get sying of hypothermia when it breaks. The water wouldn't be deeper than ankle there. I'm also not sure how we can light fires on thin ice and they don't melt through ( which is why I didn't think it was thin in the first place, I literally lit a fire on it to warm up and it was burning for over 30 minutes )

Thanks for the feedback @IRCrimson. Part of the landscape design in Forlorn Muskeg is to make navigation and exploration an interesting challenge for players, and this includes the location of thin ice. There are of course other ways to find your path by staying on land, but this also carries with it its own risks. (It can be slower-going)

As it stands now, do you feel like you don't have enough time to back off at all when you approach thin ice? 

I wouldn't say it's impossible, just difficult. In this case it was because I was trying to walk on the land and the angle of the land was forcing me onto the ice. I did manage to back off once or twice close by. I was also making certain assumptions about how it works due to a large snow island looking maybe 5 meters away overtop of that ice. From real experience I'm used to shallow water freezing quicker than deep water and thought the safe route would be the shortest, shallowest one. I appreciate the community and developer involvement and even with the problems and feedback the game is amazing for an Alpha build. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

It's good to be aware that narrow gaps between land are are not necessarily shallow. Sometimes the topography and nearby plants can give clues to the depth of the water and likelihood of weak ice. :)

If true that's something I never noticed and kudos to the design team! :D

Also, very true to life. I know more than a few lakes that have shallow patches in the middle of them and others with sheer drop offs right next to shore :) 

A steep shoreline cliff indicates a deep drop off below the water. We fisherman know this too well!

Shorelines are typically dangerous places as there can be thin ice here; or they can freeze quickly. It all depends. If the water is moving, the edge is always the most dangerous.

I don't think it is necessary to model water depth. A truly fantastic mechanic could include the horrible struggle to get back up onto safe ice. Once you go through the ice, you are in a very very serious situation. Death is imminent. It can be a heart attack or a stroke or simply not being able to get out of the water and dying of hypothermia right there.

I'm pretty happy with the ice in FM - though you are in serious trouble if you fall through near steep land.  There are some subtle clues and you can make some assumptions too.  However, there is some weirdness.  As an example Survivor 115 was out in the middle (heading away from the Poacher's Camp and generally towards the Homestead) when she got chased by a wolf.  I misjudged the ice and ran too far onto the weak ice and went in.  However the wolf also attacked and next thing I know I'm in wolf combat screen, but then the wolf flees like they do when they hit a patch of week ice.  End result - I'm on the nearest solid land - I'm bruised, I have a sprained ankle and hypothermia.  No bleeding.  So in essence the wolf ran up and pulled me from my watery grave before running off to do good elsewhere!  Too bad I died of hypothermia before I could make it to somewhere with matches. :D

23 minutes ago, Jolan said:

I'm pretty happy with the ice in FM - though you are in serious trouble if you fall through near steep land.  There are some subtle clues and you can make some assumptions too.  However, there is some weirdness.  As an example Survivor 115 was out in the middle (heading away from the Poacher's Camp and generally towards the Homestead) when she got chased by a wolf.  I misjudged the ice and ran too far onto the weak ice and went in.  However the wolf also attacked and next thing I know I'm in wolf combat screen, but then the wolf flees like they do when they hit a patch of week ice.  End result - I'm on the nearest solid land - I'm bruised, I have a sprained ankle and hypothermia.  No bleeding.  So in essence the wolf ran up and pulled me from my watery grave before running off to do good elsewhere!  Too bad I died of hypothermia before I could make it to somewhere with matches. :D

That is a weird series of events :D

17 hours ago, Jolan said:

Lassie's let herself go a bit.

Archived