Forum Shortcuts, Codes, and Tips FAQ

Evening All,

This post is just a simple FAQ for the forums for our new members. The same questions keep getting asked so why not start and FAQ? The problem is, the only question I remember with any frequency is how to do spoiler tags so feel free to add the tips, tricks, and shortcuts that help you post ;)

For Spoiler Tags:

Write the following using square brackets [] as opposed to regular brackets ():

(spoiler) The stuff you don't want to spoil (/spoiler)

Like so:

You thought it'd be the same text didn't you?

^_^ 

Edited by cekivi
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pillock said:

How do you do thing where you "mention" someone - like you have with Mel's name?

Mentions are created by using the "@" symbol immediately followed by a member's forum name.

As you begin typing the letters of their handle, a drop menu should appear with a list of suggested names. @Pillock

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

If you want to only quote some text from a post, instead of quoting the entire post (by clicking on the Quote link):

• Highlight the text you would like to quote and a small - Quote this - bubble should pop up.  (If the bubble does not automatically pop up, you can right-click the highlighted text to get it to show up)

Quotes1.thumb.jpg.c186f5b5fb5060fe61cbc684d7a6df6f.jpg

• When you click on the - Quote this - bubble, the highlighted text will appear as a quote in the response window below and you can type your response below it.

Quotes2.thumb.jpg.25e40291726ab4c175c612768b4d1fe8.jpg

• Then if you want to include another quote, highlight that text and click the - Quote this - bubble to add that quote to the response window below.

Quotes3.thumb.jpg.55a0f8585f64d222dd98888aa73ec5ea.jpg

Quotes4.thumb.jpg.81d89281adfeaacb5602674f364e46b9.jpg

NOTE: The quoted text will appear in the response window wherever the cursor currently is.  So, if you want to have multiple quotes as shown in this example, hit Enter a couple of times (Or Shift+Enter) to move down a little to separate each quote and your response to it.

• Upvote 4

To insert an image into your post, either Drag and Drop an image into the Attachment area of the window or click on the - choose files - link.  Once the image is attached, you can insert it anywhere in your post by simply clicking on the attached image. 

Be sure to place your cursor in the spot where you would like your image to be displayed, such as between lines of text.

Images1.thumb.jpg.a8ad77a3aecb792388533b39fc027065.jpg

Images2.thumb.jpg.afc5e60c79b420823184fd1979fa28b2.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 2016-12-25 at 5:31 AM, cekivi said:

This post is just a simple FAQ for the forums for our new members. The same questions keep getting asked so why not start and FAQ?

Great idea @cekivi! Not just useful for new members either, learned something myself as well :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Can I ask how and what you need to  have to add photos to my profile? I'm not good at tech stuff so I don't know what the accepted file type  letters mean on there! Thanks.

I'm hopeless at explaining stuff but you basically need a really small file for profile photos. I don't know what it's saying with you but maybe try and find a photo that's quite small or simple and it should be fine. You don't need anything, just photos from your gallery will do, so long as the files are small enough 🙂

It's kind of weird as my pfp certainly doesn't look like a small file, and yet it's accepted,I think you just have to go through all of the photos you would like as your profile picture until you find one that is accepted 

I can't explain stuff very well but hopefully you understand and if you don't, I'm sure another player will explain 🙂

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've gone onto the add photo from save file but I can't do anything else!  

Maybe I can just draw a picture on my notepad  in the right place😁

Oh that's weird, it isn't letting you select a photo from your photo gallery?

• 7 months later...

Does anybody know how to insert a picture into a DM?

It seems different to a thread which is pretty easy to work out.  It doesn't appear to have the same option in a DM.

I've tried drag and drop, and uploading to my cloud account and copying the url (with open access). Nothing seems to work.  There's a couple of images I wanted to send in relation to a particular discussion and they don't need to be on the forum.

If anyone can assist I'd be grateful, this is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance guys 💛

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng
35 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Does anybody know how to insert a picture into a DM?

You cannot. You can link a picture from a URL outside of the forum, but you cannot upload a picture the same way you can here. This, I imagine, has good reasons, because if Hinterland employees respect the privacy of their members - and judging by everything I've seen them do I am convinced that they do respect it (because they seem to be decent human beings) - the DM function could be "repurposed" to share content of "questionable legality" without Hinterland being aware of it, which however would not protect them from liability claims. By disabling this they at least legally are in the clear in case people misuse this function in the aforementioned ways.

Guest jeffpeng
3 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Good point. I forget not everyone has the same ethics as me.

You have no idea how many good ideas I buried because the internet is a mix of the Wild West and Mordor.

Just now, jeffpeng said:

You have no idea how many good ideas I buried because the internet is a mix of the Wild West and Mordor.

Oh I do Jeff. It's why I don't touch any social media at all and why it took me all these years to join this forum. It never fails to astound me how appalling people can be. Fortunately Hinterland are decent people, I've already had a couple of unpleasant issues here on this forum and they have been swiftly, decisively dealt with.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've only managed to do it when using my PC @conanjaguar. However I seem to remember I tried a little while ago and couldn’t see the option - it's usually alongside the Bold/Italic/Underline and other options at the top of the message. I could just be imagining the fact I couldn't find it last time, that or I was doing my usual and not seeing what is right under my nose!

• Upvote 2