Improvised Mitts

Hollowpoint245

After the recent edition of a wonderful new clothing system, players are now able to customize on more detailed scale than ever before. Along with this introduction comes the new affliction, frostbite. Recently I was playing on interloper and found myself struggling to keep my character's hands warm. Unable to find any kind of mittens or gloves, I came to the realization that if my hands were freezing cold and I had two pars of socks, certainly I would wear one pair over my hands. I don't think this would require too much change in the game, but having the ability to slip even a pair of cotton socks over my character's hands would be a blessing. Any thoughts?

In real life it would definitely be possible. But so would stuffing your hands in your pockets. I'd rather not see the game go to there. When I clicked on your thread I was expecting you to suggest a crafting option of improvised mitts. We can repair any piece of clothing to be like new, but for some reason, we can't trace a pattern around our hand on cloth, and sew two pieces together. That's the type of improvised mitts I would love to see added to this game. 

Greetings @Hollowpoint245!

50 minutes ago, Hollowpoint245 said:

I came to the realization that if my hands were freezing cold and I had two pars of socks, certainly I would wear one pair over my hands.

I do like this idea in theory, because I am all for implementing thinking outside the box as one would have to do in an actual survival situation.  However, I doubt this will ever make it into the game, because they could already have allowed for us to wear two pairs of gloves or mittens, or a gloves/mittens combo.

It seems they have intentionally put an emphasis on the problem of keeping your hands warm, as all of parts of the body can be covered by at least two layers.  This is perhaps to encourage, and to some degree necessitate, the snaring of rabbits.  I think doing so adds another layer of complexity to the struggle to survive.

Love the input, I absolutely see where your coming from, as it does currently add some challenge to the game. But I'd like expand on the idea of craftable mittens. I never considered the concept of having roughly created clothing. I think it would be an excellent idea. Of course there would have to be some fallback on it's use. Minimal wind, warmth, and water resistance would be good. Along with a high degrade rate as they would not be of high quality and pose only a temporary solution. I also think they should be something for on the spot make, as it would not be too difficult to create something resembling an oven mitt from the cloth. If I had the opportunity to access a work bench I would begin the process of creating more complex clothing. Besides the work bench seems to be reserved for higher end gear that require high grade materials.

It isn't a bad idea (and makes a lot of sense). The problem kind of becomes is that there are tons of things 'like this' in the game that are 'unrealistic' and the reality is it's more trouble then it's worth to fix all these instances of poor realism for very limited gameplay benefit (usually you can find gloves just fine, and if you can't, it's not like you can't survive without gloves just fine for a long time via just not letting yourself freeze). At some point someone has to make the decision on if this is worth the time to fix, and this seems like something with a poor cost of time to gameplay benefit ratio to address when there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other issues that are also clamouring for their time.

Like I said, the idea isn't bad, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing on it. Just sort of trying to play devil's advocate and explain the other side.

47 minutes ago, Troxism said:

It isn't a bad idea (and makes a lot of sense). The problem kind of becomes is that there are tons of things 'like this' in the game that are 'unrealistic' and the reality is it's more trouble then it's worth to fix all these instances of poor realism for very limited gameplay benefit (usually you can find gloves just fine, and if you can't, it's not like you can't survive without gloves just fine for a long time via just not letting yourself freeze). At some point someone has to make the decision on if this is worth the time to fix, and this seems like something with a poor cost of time to gameplay benefit ratio to address when there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other issues that are also clamouring for their time.

Like I said, the idea isn't bad, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing on it. Just sort of trying to play devil's advocate and explain the other side.

Don't worry your not bashing the idea. I personally love it when people play devil's advocate as it forces you to perceive things differently and examine them from a different angle.

On 12/23/2016 at 7:42 PM, Hollowpoint245 said:

After the recent edition of a wonderful new clothing system, players are now able to customize on more detailed scale than ever before. Along with this introduction comes the new affliction, frostbite. Recently I was playing on interloper and found myself struggling to keep my character's hands warm. Unable to find any kind of mittens or gloves, I came to the realization that if my hands were freezing cold and I had two pars of socks, certainly I would wear one pair over my hands. I don't think this would require too much change in the game, but having the ability to slip even a pair of cotton socks over my character's hands would be a blessing. Any thoughts?

How crazy is that!?!? I literally had the same situation as you today. Only, I was playing on stalker. I searched everywhere and could not find a pair of mittens/gloves and thought to myself how nice it would be to use my socks. haha :D

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, vancopower said:

Socks are not waterproof  material, they will get wet fast and then froze, which would be something I like to see in the game. You can use socks on your hands but you need to replace them regularly.

I find thick wool socks are a bit better at minimizing moisture soakage. If I walk between my guy's house and his garage (where his bedroom is) and its been raining, the covered walkway is usually wet. Cotton or synthetic socks tend to soak up all the water and I feel it immediately, but if I'm wearing my wool socks, I can keep them on all day without feeling the moisture.

22 hours ago, Ape88 said:

I find thick wool socks are a bit better at minimizing moisture soakage. If I walk between my guy's house and his garage (where his bedroom is) and its been raining, the covered walkway is usually wet. Cotton or synthetic socks tend to soak up all the water and I feel it immediately, but if I'm wearing my wool socks, I can keep them on all day without feeling the moisture.

That is true my gram-ma always shouts at me when I do not wear the woolen socks that she knitted for me :) .

Archived