Hello!

Captain Obvious

Hi, I have ~50 hours on the game but am new to the forums. Loving it so far; definitely one of my favourites!

Had two short-ish runs when I was still learning the game mechanics, but have some pretty fond memories of those days trying to cling onto life in Forestry Lookout, and eventually succumbing looking for shelter at the Dam.

Doing a bit better on my current run on Voyageur difficulty. On about day 91 at the moment and, barring any major catastrophes, should make it past 100 fairly easily. Started off at Camp office at ML, but decided to head over to PV in search of fortune. Had a fairly rough journey (didn't know the PV map at all and had some blizzards to negotiate), but eventually managed to set up a reasonable base at the farmstead. Here are some screenshots of my current setup! I'm using the porch as a place to store meat as it seems it degrades really slowly there. Have a secondary 'base' with a snowshelter and some traps in one of the nearby rabbit areas, where I pop over every morning to repair (so I don't have to use cloth to maintain it). It's also a good option for shelter when heading over to Pensive Pond/Signal Hill.

All the best!

20161223121937_1.jpg

20161223122055_1.jpg

20161223122108_1.jpg

20161223122344_1.jpg

20161223122706_1.jpg

20161223122722_1.jpg

Welcome :D

Quite a nice setup you got there. I don't know if I have any tips to give you though. But if you don't know the map, I could give some good locations to scavenge. I think the best is signal hill from my experience. From the Farmhouse look towards the road, there should be a big cliff-ish hill. There's a red antenna thing surrounded by a fence. Getting up there is easy, just watch out for the bear cave!

What I usually find there (Stalker): MRE, Rifle, 10 bullets, Work boots, Flare(s), Clothing, two or three cans, other food, gasoline. Those are some of the things I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more.

I won't spoil too much of the map, it's always better when it's new.

11 hours ago, HazardousHowitzer said:

Welcome :D

Quite a nice setup you got there. I don't know if I have any tips to give you though. But if you don't know the map, I could give some good locations to scavenge. I think the best is signal hill from my experience. From the Farmhouse look towards the road, there should be a big cliff-ish hill. There's a red antenna thing surrounded by a fence. Getting up there is easy, just watch out for the bear cave!

What I usually find there (Stalker): MRE, Rifle, 10 bullets, Work boots, Flare(s), Clothing, two or three cans, other food, gasoline. Those are some of the things I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more.

I won't spoil too much of the map, it's always better when it's new.

Thanks for the reply! I did check out Signal Hill at some point earlier, and as you said got some pretty decent loot there (i.e. lots of rifle ammo and some MRE, along with some other goodies). Had some decent weather today so had a pretty long exploration of the map, using the bearskin bedroll to shelter/warm up where necessary. I should probably sketch out a map at some point!

Thinking of moving over to another map/location at some point when I pass 100 days... any recommendations? TWM looks interesting, but I'm a bit worried of going somewhere complicated and getting caught in a blizzard before I can find shelter, so maybe CH would be a safer option.

TWM isn't a bad idea but if you don't know the map it can be very dangerous, though the summit has some great loot. If you haven't visited CH yet go there. Further down the road you can go to Desolation Point and use the forge to make arrow heads and stuff. It's really up to you, if you're ready, go for the summit. Just make sure you're prepared! ^_^

try spending some time in TWM at the lodge. make a base there, you have bear, wolves etc to fight with but there is enough wood around, some cattails, and some berries as well as beards. few rabbits and deer but a place to fish. you should be ok for a while. then you can start exploring and set up a cave or two as a mini base or use a shelter. the weather gets uglier and you fall a bit... get used to it.

or, on the maps you are familiar with, try a new game on a harder difficulty.....

Thanks for the replies!!

Ended up starting a run on CH/DP on Stalker mode - been fun so far! Might also, as AZHockeyNut suggested, go on my 'main' 100+ day run and head over to TWM, and just be careful. Just waiting for the last bearskin to dry to make the bearskin coat then I'm all set.

Recently had to upgrade my PC too so am now playing on much higher specs.... damn this game looks pretty!

Successfully made the move to TWM! I'm really liking the mountaineers hut for some reason. It's starting to look quite homely!

I'm actually starting to think the low inside temperature is quite a good thing, at least from a meat preservation perspective! And I have good enough quality clothes never to have to worry about hypothermia when I'm indoors.

screen_(888, 162, 345)_3638edc2-6079-4533-9daf-92e1419a751a.png

screen_(888, 162, 345)_bb1abe85-9bcf-41d6-944d-95d47ac176c3.png

screen_(891, 162, 340)_3727c88b-60bb-4f72-a9c1-cd9c1ab664fd.png

screen_(890, 162, 345)_9c343552-d0c9-407a-ba97-a921168d2cfc.png

Nice!  The mountaineer's hut is one of my favorite places to live.

BTW, the "hatch" in the floor counts as outdoor storage.  Very handy place to keep your cooked meat.  Also, if you can see stars through the hole in the roof you probably have enough light to use the workbench, even at night.

12 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Nice!  The mountaineer's hut is one of my favorite places to live.

BTW, the "hatch" in the floor counts as outdoor storage.  Very handy place to keep your cooked meat.  Also, if you can see stars through the hole in the roof you probably have enough light to use the workbench, even at night.

Ohh that's great to know, thanks!!

Archived