Snowshoes

Hollowpoint245

The Long Dark is a survival game solely based around the idea of freezing, harsh Winter conditions. Clothing has come a long way, with the most recent update, but more is required to deal with snow in general. Living in Alberta and doing a fair amount of back country camping and hiking myself I often ask myself, "How is my character able to travel so quickly in this deep snow?" The answer is hinterland has yet to create depth to the snow (even though snow shelters give us an idea of how much snow there really is). I feel it would be cool if snowshoes were added, as they play a major role mobility. They could be crafted at a work bench using guts and some type of wood. It would work perfectly under the category accessory, and could provide a boost in walking speed over snow. There is so much the developers could do in slowing or speeding up travel, sprinting ability, and overall change in rest as a result of their use. I know The Long Dark isn't the most accurate game, but it does a pretty darn good job of doing it. It would be a pity to leave out something so essential as snowshoes in a game like this. Any thoughts or ideas?

dougs-old-pair3.gif

The snowshoe and Nordic skis are listed in the roadmap.
http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/

The interesting thing is these updates are in the same Near Term group as the clothing update.  So it might be sooner rather than later.
For myself I am looking forward to addition of the Nordic Skis.  Ascending steep sections on Timber Wolf Mountain using climbing skins and applying some klister pine tar concoction for the slush in the Forlorn Muskeg could add some interesting gameplay.  Warming by a fire to reapply wax because the weather changed would also be a thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the roadmap plan...

NEAR TERM (1-6 Month Window)
Snowshoes or Nordic skis?

So not sure which they will go for (or both even), but it looks like it's a very real possibility that we will see snowshoes fairly soon from now...

Archived