Interloper and only Forlorn Muskeg. Tips?

thinair

So started a mini challenge to stay in FM only. Pretty rough, so far survived 4 days and some hours. Curing two hides and skin of a dear in a near by cave, have some coal, hacksaw, ~20 matches, lantern, and staying at farmstead. Biggest issue is not having bedroll, therefore can not wander much from the farmstead. 2nd biggest problem will be matches. Any tips, personal experiences? :) Also what is your record of days survived for this map only challenge? :)  

From my exploration so far in Forlorn Muskeg I haven't found much in the way of bedrolls. I did have one spawn for me at the Old Spence Homestead in one life but that's about it. If you intend in staying at FM only, then I recommend snow shelters, as you will be able to sleep in them. I know that you can find a corpse with a snow shelter pre-built along the shoreline of the Muskeg not far from the cave filled with ice on the FM map if your lucky. Unfortunately you won't be able to construct on in your cave. The only downfall would be having to maintain your shelter, which isn't too bad if you keep up on it. I recommend constructing your snow shelter towards the cave as it might provide some wind protection if you choose to build a fire. Hope this helps.

Ok, so it is possible to get a bedroll spawn, but its very rare. It would increase survivalbility a bit, but not much, since hammer and matches are also important.

Snow shelters... dont forget you need cloth to make one, i think its 3 or 5 or whatever, and this map does not have much clothing, which means i would have to harvest all my clothing. Also the pre-build shelter always spawns, but to fix it, it also needs some cloth, the one i found was at 74%, and it required one cloth and sticks to repair. I guess maybe if its in 80+ then only sticks are needed to repair. Overall, during the bad weather would need a fire to sleep in shelter, and wont be able to have one because blizzard would blow it out.

But i will try to play around with shelter spawns, some spawn at 99% and what not.

Thanks for input. Its a bit strange that only one answer.. i guess for many people this kind of challenge is too much, and if someone dears it, only survives for a day or two and have nothing smart to share :)

2 hours ago, thinair said:

Ok, so it is possible to get a bedroll spawn, but its very rare. It would increase survivalbility a bit, but not much, since hammer and matches are also important.

Snow shelters... dont forget you need cloth to make one, i think its 3 or 5 or whatever, and this map does not have much clothing, which means i would have to harvest all my clothing. Also the pre-build shelter always spawns, but to fix it, it also needs some cloth, the one i found was at 74%, and it required one cloth and sticks to repair. I guess maybe if its in 80+ then only sticks are needed to repair. Overall, during the bad weather would need a fire to sleep in shelter, and wont be able to have one because blizzard would blow it out.

But i will try to play around with shelter spawns, some spawn at 99% and what not.

Thanks for input. Its a bit strange that only one answer.. i guess for many people this kind of challenge is too much, and if someone dears it, only survives for a day or two and have nothing smart to share :)

No problem @thinair, good luck with your challenge!

I wish there was always a bedroll on this map for the purposes of challenges like this, although to be fair the lack of cloth to fix/make a shelter = lack of cloth to fix a bedroll anyways. By the way, where did you find the 'possible spawn' for it? I've been trying to tabulate Bedroll distribution on Interloper (with little success so far).

28 minutes ago, Troxism said:

I wish there was always a bedroll on this map for the purposes of challenges like this, although to be fair the lack of cloth to fix/make a shelter = lack of cloth to fix a bedroll anyways. By the way, where did you find the 'possible spawn' for it? I've been trying to tabulate Bedroll distribution on Interloper (with little success so far).

I found it once to the right of the locker located at the Old Spence Family Homestead, otherwise that was it. Also to add onto my original response it is possible to make a bear skin bedroll. I have seen a bear roaming near the Poachers Camp in the middle of Forlorn Muskeg. I haven't tracked him to figure his route out yet, but if your lucky you could manufacture one and that would solve your issue with being trapped at the Old Spence Family Homestead. @thinair

1 minute ago, Hollowpoint245 said:

I found it once to the right of the locker located at the Old Spence Family Homestead, otherwise that was it. Also to add onto my original response it is possible to make a bear skin bedroll. I have seen a bear roaming near the Poachers Camp in the middle of Forlorn Muskeg. I haven't tracked him to figure his route out yet, but if your lucky you could manufacture one and that would solve your issue with being trapped at the Old Spence Family Homestead. @thinair

I'm surprised it was in such an obvious spot. Maybe there are other more hidden spawns on the map, but obviously it's a little hard to test this type of stuff on Interloper. Thanks for the information.

As for the Bearskin Bedroll, it takes 6 cloth to craft (or maybe 4 or 5, but I think it's 6?), and 1 cloth to repair (although its 1 cloth + 1 bear pelt for I think a 100% full repair, vs 2 cloth for 30% repair on a normal bedroll), so that might not be viable depending on how much cloth you can find. But it's another idea for sure.

I find it pretty boring staying in any one place for more than a day or two. Constant movement is the thing that provides interest for me. Not being able to move far from the bed and having no weapon seems a bit artificial. Worse when the spawn map can't be chosen and even then you are going to keep trying until one pops up a usable shelter or bedroll!

I haven't played Forlorn Muskeg in Interloper, so I can't say this with any kind of certainty, but there is a somewhat hidden location where I found a bedroll.

Don't see the spoiler tag anywhere, so I'll just print this small:

Near the radio tower there's a waterfall. Next to the waterfall, there's an indoor cave which leads up to a pretty large rabbit grove. On one of the back walls of the grove I found some supplies, rucksack and bedroll.

@ Trox, its impossible to have bearskin bedroll, due to a fact that there is no hammer in FM (i think bedroll needs knife or hatchet to make). Also to kill a bear need quite time to acquire bow, and then cure things. It is literally GTFO map, spawn and get out. No lense, no hammer, still not sure if bedroll spawns, and maximum 24 matches, usually 12. So thats literally 4-8 days of survival at MAX... in those 4-8 days basically impossible to get things done, apart for barely surviving.

Yeah I forgot about no Hammer (maybe there is a spawn somewhere but I doubt there is always one). And yes, you are correct that the map is not a great place to stay; my very initial impression of the map was basically 'why would I ever actually live here for any reason but to challenge myself? Even TWM had a reason to go there outside of pure challenge.' Doesn't mean it can't be fun to try challenges like this, but yeah, the duration is obviously kind of limited due to basically having no options because there is almost nothing on the map.

Also to be fair, I was just commenting in response to someone else suggesting the bearskin bedroll with some information about it :)

Either way, hope you enjoy experimenting with the map; I'm currently running some different types of 'experiments' on a new Interloper game.

@cekivi Hammer Hacksaw and Bedroll locations are not shared between Interloper and other modes. There are lots of spawns for these items that are only on Interloper, and vise versa do not exist on Interloper. That is kind of why I'm cataloguing this; it's very different between Interloper and other modes.

A simple example of this is that on Stalker and below there is a 100% chance to get a Hammer in Hibernia, but there never is one on Interloper. Vise versa, there are Hammer spawns all over CH on Interloper that don't exist on Stalker and below (2 of them are in far out fishing huts, 1 is in a car). Same with Bedroll and Hacksaw; most of the Bedroll spawns on Interloper don't exist on other modes at all. For example there is a Bedroll spawn on Interloper in one of the fishing huts in ML. 

Actually all the Bedroll spawns on Stalker and below are 100% fixed AFAIK. You ALWAYS get a Bedroll in Quonset, Camp Office, Stone Church, various caves in PV ect. Interloper ones are both different (but a few are shared), and random.

So basically; there is little to no correlation between Hammer/Hacksaw/Bedroll spawns on Interloper vs any other mode. I know that on Stalker and below there is a 100% chance of getting a Hammer + Hacksaw in the Muskeg farmstead (it's not always RIGHT there but it's in the area), just like there is a 100% Hacksaw on the TWM cabin, 100% Hacksaw on the TWM summit ect. But none of that is true at all for Interloper.

And there are no 100% Hacksaw, Hammer or Bedroll spawns on Interloper at all, while there are 100% ones for those items on Stalker and below (Like I said, Bedrolls are 100% fixed AFAIK on Stalker and below, and this is taken from a LOT of Stalker games before the Interloper patch, and even post patch it doesn't appear to be different but admittedly I didn't test very much on difficulties below Interloper after it was added).

There is actually a ridiculous amount of fixed loot on Stalker and below; for example there is always a Rifle at Hibernia, it's just sometimes well hidden. Even certain clothing items are 100% spawn in certain places on Stalker and below, and other things that you might not expect to be fixed spawns. TWM Cabin + Fishing Hut + surrounding dock (look around in the boats/in the wood of the dock) always has a Hunting Knife, Hatchet, Hacksaw, Lantern, Sewing Kit, Whetstone on Stalker and below, although again, some of it is well hidden. Also there is always a hat and a jacket (but it's a random one) at certain spots at that location. I could go on but there are a lot of examples of this stuff.

The only fixed loot I've seen on Interloper that I can remember offhand is certain Torch spawns, certain Simple/Quality Toolkits, Whetstones, some Sewing Kits, and Emergency Stims (they can be in a different spot, sometimes well hidden, but from what I've seen they always show up at the same locations every time).

All the randomness and really weird spawn locations for these items on Interloper (Ravine train car Hammer anyone?) is exactly why I'm trying to collect data; it's hard to check every little nook on Interloper on every map, and the reality is there might only be a 30% or so chance of a spawn occurring there meaning you would need to literally scour every little corner of every single map 4-5 times to have confidence that you know all the spawn locations. It's why I'm always on the look out for other player's anecdotes on Interloper spawns to help fill in my data as it's very tedious to acquire it.

Hacksaws/Hammers/Bedrolls/Mag Lens/Lantern seem to work off a 'you always get X in the world they are just distributed differently each game', but from what I can tell Firestrikers are actually random and you won't always get one on Interloper (I could be wrong in this however). Which kind of makes sense, since the amount of matches is random too, and honestly you can just convert a Firestriker into Firestriker condition / 2% matches.

@cekivi well to be fair the difference really is Interloper vs everything else. Stalker/Voyageur/Pilgrim are basically the same, just slightly more stuff as you go down, but the general loot distribution and fixed loot is the same for all 3. So it's not surprising it's rarely talked about.

Archived