Should be possible to wring out wet clothing to get non-potable water with the risk of getting sick.

Stratocaster_master

Awesome to see expanded clothing management in the game with the Resolute Outfitter update.

A somewhat related story: My first play through on interloper, spawn on the beachline on desolate point, get closer to the water to check out the beachcoming gameplay, stupidly fall through the ice. So my clothes are now wet and beginning to freeze. I sprint to the lighthouse, clean it out before darkness and realise that I have no way of starting a fire to make water. Check inventory, clothes are all wet... Can I not wring these out to get some water at the risk of getting sick? Food for thought.

A burning stick stands out among swords

At Desolation Point it would be sea water, which you wouldn't be able to make potable just by boiling. Same goes for Coastal Highway.

Maybe in the new bog map, though? Or if the wetness was from snow?

Perhaps it would be troublesome to implement the mechanic if it had to vary across different locations/different types of water? The game would have to remember how you got wet and where you were. And if you could wring out clothes to get non-salt water, you'd have to be able to wring out clothes for salt water as well - and then what would you do with the salt water? Just pile it up in bottles? Boil it to obtain salt? Then what would you do with the salt?

All valid points, I guess the only way around the salt issue would be to track salt which may be more troublesome to track then I thought. However, if realism is to prevail, wrinining out clothes to get a few drops of water is what a hardcore survivalist would do. Probably more trouble than it's worth though.

A burning stick stands out among swords

11 hours ago, Pillock said:

At Desolation Point it would be sea water, which you wouldn't be able to make potable just by boiling. Same goes for Coastal Highway.

Maybe in the new bog map, though? Or if the wetness was from snow?

Perhaps it would be troublesome to implement the mechanic if it had to vary across different locations/different types of water? The game would have to remember how you got wet and where you were. And if you could wring out clothes to get non-salt water, you'd have to be able to wring out clothes for salt water as well - and then what would you do with the salt water? Just pile it up in bottles? Boil it to obtain salt? Then what would you do with the salt?

That would slow the game down considerably, at least until you wring out the clothes. I like the idea though, because you could take some time to wring out clothes to lower the water percentage. Obviously it's easier to dry out clothes that are 10% soaked than those that are 50% so. About the potable and non-potable water, your character is pretty much the average Joe, caught in a geomagnetic disaster. If he can think to drink water from his clothes, anyone can think to drink water from their clothes. Also, is it possible that there would be chemicals in the water from the clothes that would do more than just give you dysentery?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2016 at 11:30 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

If he can think to drink water from his clothes, anyone can think to drink water from their clothes.

Agreed, that is why I suggested it. If I'm dying for a drink and have dripping wet clothes...

On 21/12/2016 at 11:30 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Also, is it possible that there would be chemicals in the water from the clothes that would do more than just give you dysentery?

At the moment the only source of unpotable water (as far as I'm aware) is from melting snow, effectively making water purification tablets useless. If you don't have the ability to make fire but have the tablets: life saved (temporarily).

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2017 at 2:04 AM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Well the real problem is that the purification tablets are most definitely iodine tablets. They kill bacteria, but would not get rid of certain chemicals that you can find in clothes. I'm not shooting down the idea, but there are risks involved in wringing out your clothes for water.

Agreed but I still stand by the fact that any complication that results is better than dying from dehydration...

As mentioned, it would be too complicated (salty water, dirty water, etc.) to implement it properly.

On 12/21/2016 at 2:30 PM, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

I like the idea though, because you could take some time to wring out clothes to lower the water percentage.

I like that aspect as well: You go for a swim - your clothes have 100% wetness - you open your clothes interface - you click a "Wring clothes" button - after some time - your clothes have a remaining wetness of maybe 50%. That might help you to avoid more severe consequences.

@MarrowStone - Yes, you shouldn't be able to repeat that procedure a thousand times, but the damage that clothes take from wringing them is neglect-able. Maybe somewhere in the lower 1-digit percentage area?

Archived