December Story Mode Progress Update

Admin

On 2/25/2017 at 6:03 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Is The Story mod approaching ? Maybe during march ?I don't know why and from where but I am persuaded that is for spring.

I am also pretty interested to see an sandbox-roadmap update.

With the job openings that they have posted recently, everything seems to point to the fact that they'll release in the summer (June-July). I admit that it would be best if they released more information & content throughout the various months, but I trust in their dedication to the final product. 

The roadmap, on the other hand, is something that they haven't changed since August. Will probably be updated in the coming months.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Vinceofpyrenees I doubt it. They have stated that they aren't releasing any sandbox update till story mode comes out, so there won't be any improvement on that end for a while, and recent job openings have stated that programmers are needed till June.

I believe the one reason for their silence is in order to not cause a big mess. Remember when they previously announced Story Mode? People were hysterical, and still are by the fact that it's been years since the original date that was planned. Although, I do still wish that they would be clearer on current developments and talk once in a while... 

21 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

I doubt it. They have stated that they aren't releasing any sandbox update till story mode comes out

Hmm, you sure about that? I may have missed that anouncement but I think what they said is that with resolute outfitter the last major system was added to the game (the clothing thingie). That doesn't mean that new wildlife, items or gameplay tuning won't reach the sandbox while the story mode is being worked on. The sandbox mode is a testing playground in the end. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, Story mode was planned around March/April in 2016, then in December we get this update. Now it is April 2017 and I am wondering if it will ever happen at all? Should we all just assume the game is finished as it is and that nothing new will come out at this point? Still a very enjoyable game with much for me to still do - but I am still looking forward to the story mode if it will ever happen.

So, what do you say guys? Looking forward to a response from the devs on this! (I hope)

12 hours ago, drmom said:

So, Story mode was planned around March/April in 2016, then in December we get this update. Now it is April 2017 and I am wondering if it will ever happen at all? Should we all just assume the game is finished as it is and that nothing new will come out at this point? Still a very enjoyable game with much for me to still do - but I am still looking forward to the story mode if it will ever happen.

So, what do you say guys? Looking forward to a response from the devs on this! (I hope)

Don't worry, they stated multiple times that story mode is being developed. Videogames just takes a lot of time to be made. That's life. :)

The game isn't finished yet, @drmom, but we fully intend to get there!

Story Mode is our primary focus right now - we want to get the first two Episodes properly complete and polished so we can leave the Early Access program and officially launch the game. We will also continue to grow and support the game afterwards, with further Story Episodes and more additions and improvements to the Sandbox as well.

Thanks to all of you for your patience. It's been a long road, but we've made some great progress in recent months and are looking forward to sharing our work with you!

5 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Story Mode is our primary focus right now - we want to get the first two Episodes properly complete and polished so we can leave the Early Access program and officially launch the game. We will also continue to grow and support the game afterwards, with further Story Episodes and more additions and improvements to the Sandbox as well.

Thanks to all of you for your patience. It's been a long road, but we've made some great progress in recent months and are looking forward to sharing our work with you!

I've been coming to the view that "Story Mode" might be a bit of feeble name for something as keenly anticipated as this is. It surely deserves better, especially given the highly creative thesaurus usage that has evidently gone into naming previous updates?

May I suggest "Procrastinating Anecdotalist" as a starting point for more fitting suggestions?

I believe 'story mode' is simply a referent; as with the sandbox updates, this may get a more specific label upon release. I would actually hesitate to call this a simple 'update'; it wouldn't do service to the reality of the situation.

"Meritorious Recompense" is my vote.

12 hours ago, Carbon said:

I believe 'story mode' is simply a referent; as with the sandbox updates, this may get a more specific label upon release. I would actually hesitate to call this a simple 'update'; it wouldn't do service to the reality of the situation.

"Meritorious Recompense" is my vote.

You're quite right: it isn't just another update, it's the completion of the pre-release development of the game. TLD will be judged as a fully-fledged game, and not any longer as a development project, once they release the "Narrative Undertaking".

15 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

The story mod will mean the full release (like 1.0 version) or not ?

I'm not impatient that the game could finished, because a lot of things of the roadmap are still missing.

Will the next update be accompagnied by a sandbox major update ?

I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed that Sandbox and Story Mode are, both, intertwined for updates at this point. When Sandbox improvements are/were made, then it helped further add difficulty and complicated situations to Story Mode, which is why they had to keep delving deeper into the production of Story Mode. Then, when Story Mode is released, we know that we'll get a Moose for Sandbox and most likely get other new features for Sandbox, as well. I think you're seriously underestimating the magnitude of what this next "Huge Update" will be for The Long Dark.

The only explanation I can come off with for this strange waiting period is that they're coming up with a combo sandbox update + release date for story mode. Maybe they feel confident enough and want to settle the timeframe preciselly to be sure sure?

In all honesty,if they have any sense of understanding, the game files they are editing now are the ones that support the mechanics of both Story and Sandbox modes.

So without significant effort, they cannot release anything piecemeal.  Its all or nothing.  Again...  >:(>:(

EDIT: Why do I have to say these things?!?  One line.  Simple.  Direct.  Honest.  Jeez... :S

Archived