The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.386 -- “Resolute Outfitter”

Admin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Blinkin said:

Well there are positive sides about buying on GOG:

• It's DRM free! :D
  • You can go back to all versions ever released on GOG (first one was 0.302).
    • Don't like what a new update does to the game? Revert back to the previous version (not save compatible).
  • The Long Dark releases might have a few weeks of a delay (of which 24-48 hours is from GOG itself, they test everything first).
    • The above might not sound as a plus but it means every hotfix is included.
    • With every hotfix included you never have an update that breaks saves thanks to a bug that slipped through (at least till now).
      • Downside of this is the longer waiting time, but hey who would prefer a bugged version above a stable one?
  • You can install and play the game on all devices (Windows, Mac and Linux) you own without any hassle.
    • You can even play the game on these devices all at the same time (platforms like Steam and Origin sometimes prevent you from doing this).

But this time ... update v.388 is already available in the gog.com! :)

I just looked at the Long Dark world map from Hinterland and realised that the new map isn't on it...
This game is going to be enormous when all maps are released! :o:D

7 hours ago, nicko said:

Just my opinion I have never used GOG and why would I all my games are now on steam lol (apart from a few dvds). Steam is well supported and seems they work with both the gamer and the developers.

There's no reason to use GOG if you're happy with Steam. The only reasons I know are for people who haven't decided, and those reasons are in my previous reaction.
 In the end it's all about this amazing game. :D

Although if you ever wanted to have some of your games on GOG (for whatever reason) you can get some games through "GOG connect" for free if you have them on your Steam account. Which is awesome from both Steam and GOG. ^_^

12 minutes ago, Wicked said:

But this time ... update v.388 is already available in the gog.com:)

Wait.. what?! *goes to GOG Galaxy*
Omg!! It is!! Thanks Wicked for letting me know! And of course Hinterland, thanks! My mind is blown. This is a new record. I didn't plan to play the new version before Christmas... well there goes my evening. :P:D

Deutsche Version weiter unten 

---

Thank you for the update and the quick fixes! Here is my more structured video tutorial how to survive that shows the main places and some secrets of this map. Additionally I have a blog where I will add more and more secrets I discover: http://klabautermannlp.info/2016/12/23/trostloses-marschland-eine-neue-map-bei-the-long-dark/ (both German and with SPOILERS):  

---

Vielen Dank für das Update und die schnellen fixes! Hier ist mein strukturierteres Video Tutorial, wie man möglichst lange überlebt. Hier zeige ich die wichtigsten Orte und ein paar Geheimnisse der Region.  Außerdem gibt es einen Blog, in den ich mehr und mehr Geheimnisse der Map aufnehmen werde, wenn ich sie entdecke: http://klabautermannlp.info/2016/12/23/trostloses-marschland-eine-neue-map-bei-the-long-dark/  (Achtung SPOILER!)

I'm finding that this update made Coastal Highway very buggy. The mountains and buildings are glitching constantly around the map as I try to walk down the highway. When I was trying to harvest a curtain for the cloth there was code in the place of the picture of the cloth. 

I love the amazing features you brought us with the update! ^^ It gives more of a variety with the clothing, I've dedicated one of my runs entirely for finding the best gear. I love the new region that was added. I've never been more afraid of ice in my entire life! xD

Ok , Here it goes. I have put in over 200 hours into this game already. I have put it through the paces , and I have to tell you , in terms of making the claim it is survival , it is survival on Hinterland terms.
Let me explain, That outlet on the wall , I want that wire. On the cars , if I can strip a curtain for cloth , I can strip a seat for leather, pleather , or cloth. All those picture frames , I want that glass. a one off shiv to kill a wolf with that attacks. No one in Canada owns a hand gun ? Also we have a mine , care to have me tell you how to MacGyver Some home made Boom powder ? With what you already have in the game ? Also , there are no hammers in a gas station ? Did the magnetic event only effect some items and not others ? Oh , I'm not done. Provided I can keep a room at temp , ( In my Own Home right now in Jan, with Temps in single digits , I am growing a tomato plant , 7 Herbs , some bamboo and my wife's flowers. ) Yet in a house in REMOTE CANADA , houses that are built for these temps, I can not fashion a make shift grow planter?
Now lets break down the house, I have a hatchet , and if I so choose to gut out a house beside the one I choose to live in , I should be able to. Yet I can not break down the porch , but I can break down a random box someone had in their house. I cant break down a bed ? but I can break down a couch. I can sleep in a bed , in a room AWAY from my fireplace ( trying to stay warm here ) but I can not sleep on the couch. Honestly , guys  it is a great game , with so much COULD BE.

When I decided to make this post , I decided to go here , and listen to your request in place of putting this up on steam. Now I am not your average player, I am also a Father, Hiker , Camper, and over all outdoorsmen . Oh and Cabela's, for the want-to-be. I would have also already had my pilots license except the wife thinks it will be my plane that explodes mid flight, ( go figure , right ?) Now , why have I said all this?
I am the guy , that would OUT LIVE MY AVATAR ! In reality , not with the handcuffs you have put on the world.
Plane salvage parts , I can use that .
To make an arrow , I NEED a forge?! .... My gawd , All those poor Native Americans , and tribes world wide , what ever did / do they do ?

I know it seems I am dumping on you.

I AM NOT, I am asking. To be this far along , why are you making So many restrictions ? and being so close minded to the resources THAT ARE IN THE GAME. already . Just magically not able to be touched.
I would expect this from someone like TellTale , A Single path ( Over all be honest with your self ) Since they are trying to tell a narrative story.
I Bought this with , SANDBOX , being the headline. I am sure the Story mode that everyone has been focused on will be great and a wonderful story. I will give it a try and play it through  as well , when the time comes.
Though I am not giving you a final impression , I am giving you a current impression.
I know the game is *In Alpha * , and you will fine tune the values. I want you to understand that , I personally have Boots that have lasted over 8 years , put through mud , muck , and below 0 temps . I have had boots that only last me barely a year. I have never burnt through a pair of * High Quality Work Boots * in two days. If they last two days , You may want to change that wording to , * Worn, Falling apart *
I get values need to * be adjusted *   In this case , In this case , You need a damn near over haul.
Here is my worthless advice , ( This is based on the easiest sittings ) The DECAY rates alone need to go up 5X . At the Bare minimum , If you are looking for realism.  Let the Harder levels be just that . Harder.
Oh , and a Lumber axe to speed up wood gathering would be nice. Sorry guys , But I would be remiss if it took me an HOUR to break down , one tree limb.... One.
I can personally stack almost a half a cord of wood in an hour , ( btw that would take about a week to burn through , even at temps lower then these. The wood would burn longer , Also , Why can we not dry the fire wood ?
Again , take this post for the spirit it is meant for. To help this lump of coal turn into a diamond , I will save my talk about resources that come out of a mine for later.
All this aside , as I stated before , if what you are aiming at is a telltale style story game play, You nailed it to the wall. I just thought you was trying to be different.
Over all compelling game play , a real sense that your life is on the line, Once you remove all sense of real time , logic and physics if something like this was to happen. I know that you guys have put your hearts into this, I would recommend you also put in your heads. I can not wait to give this the review it deserves on youtube , and recommend to the angry army that this is a game for the books. And that for any of them who have not yet bought the game should get it.  

Welcome to the forums @Calincalis

Please note that Hinterlands has never claimed to be making an accurate wildlife simulator (i.e. wolf behaviour). A lot of the features you highlighted as areas of concern were deliberately made that way for game play reasons. While I too would like the game to be as realistic as possible having no compelling reason to go outside more than once a month to chop more firewood is not the experience Hinterlands is trying to make.

The second difficulty is coding. While stripping houses and cars for useful material is definitely something a real survivor would do representing that in the game would be a ton  of extra work. While some features may be added in the future these decisions will always be balanced against the vision Hinterlands has for the game and their perception of what the work in to enjoyment out ratio would be.

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @Calincalis

Please note that Hinterlands has never claimed to be making an accurate wildlife simulator (i.e. wolf behaviour). A lot of the features you highlighted as areas of concern were deliberately made that way for game play reasons. While I too would like the game to be as realistic as possible having no compelling reason to go outside more than once a month to chop more firewood is not the experience Hinterlands is trying to make.

The second difficulty is coding. While stripping houses and cars for useful material is definitely something a real survivor would do representing that in the game would be a ton  of extra work. While some features may be added in the future these decisions will always be balanced against the vision Hinterlands has for the game and their perception of what the work in to enjoyment out ratio would be.

ok , I see your points here, how ever you say an issue would be in the coding . I dug deeper since my posts , and I found that 70% of my posts , they already have plans of doing. Now , I would say a knowledgeable reply to my response would have been pointing me to the post they made about the sandbox. To circle back around , I do not think that coding is the issue so much as time and resources . and right now that is focused on the story mode aspect of the game as that is something they Really want to have out.
On that point , I look forward to it. Like I said , The game has an amazing telltale feel to it , But IMOHO , And please Hinterland , I mean this , The long dark has VASTILY superior graphics, and telltale could take a major lesson from you there. It is smooth and crisp , and has a natural feel , over their .. lets say minecraft approach ( blockish) to their characters. Personally Hinterland has hit it OUT OF THE PARK in this area.

So I will leave my first post as it is, and own it . Since I posted it blindly , and that is on me. Like I said , I want this game to be that sleeper that All the big dogs never see coming , and take it all. Design , and gameplay they have in spades.
I mentioned I would like a side arm. They already said they are working on one.
I want an AXE ( larger then hatchet ) It is on the drawing board.
I wanted to be able to plant , its on the list too.
So in light of ALL of the content on the sandbox roadmap , that I Must NEEDS TO BE A HOTPIN on the front page of the forums, I tip my hat.

The only things over all that still remain is let me demo everything in the house, LOL . and yes I know that's a tall order. But hey , Dream big or why bother right ?
I'm calling it now, 2018 Hinterland REDEFINES the survival game play market. And sets the NEW industry standard.
No that is not being a fanboy , I do not blindly follow anyone. I just give people credit when it is do, I also call them out on the times they are wrong.
Its part of being a parent :) 

On 10/1/2017 at 5:12 AM, Calincalis said:

why are you making So many restrictions

Again , take this post for the spirit it is meant for. To help this lump of coal turn into a diamond

It's funny what good 3D graphics can bring... Are you familiar with videogames? Try to play some different stuff, a super mario maybe or Another World. You will discover what all of this is about!

Have fun.

3 hours ago, togg said:

It's funny what good 3D graphics can bring... Are you familiar with videogames? Try to play some different stuff, a super mario maybe or Another World. You will discover what all of this is about!

Have fun.

.... considering , I  was alive long before there was a super Mario. I know well enough . Try taking my posts in complete context, and not cherry picking. I have also Beta tested more games then I care to count. Games that never seen the light of day. So before you trip over your fanboy laces , ease up. Until you pay market price for the likes of , ET The Video Game,(When it was released)  take a seat. And if you want some unrestricted build ability , maybe you could try , minecraft, 7 days to die, terraria , trove , astroneer. I would go on , but I think maybe you get the point.  
If it was not for players that had and have a passion for games, you would not have what we have today.
Oh , and these games these days are not the first 3d games. You should have been around for the 90s .

3 hours ago, togg said:

I was just saying that you ask for a lot of stuff that are not on the scope of this game, ence my questiona bout how much familiar you are with videogames. I don't want "unrestricted build ability" :)

That's all well and good . I am a different gen of gamer. A game must have rules , else where is the fun. Have you seen the road map for the sandbox version ? We are getting well close to 80% of what was in my post. Minus wrecking a whole house. but I digress. I can stick with picking wood , and harvesting limbs from the ground. Though I would love to be able to craft my own ammo or maybe some stone arrow heads. ( Give them a 50% chance of breaking on impact. meh ) I was firing off ideas blind prior to finding , ( stumbling onto really, on my own) the road map for the sandbox. I love sandbox games, always have. Also  if you have not seen the Latest trailer for the story mode. You need to you will love it. I am pumped , that is for sure. Again my posts are made in the current state of game in mind. With what I knew at time , minus the road map details which again , renewed my faith that like I said , Hinterland WILL reshape survival games as we play and know them.
*If they stay on their current course.
I love the *planting , mention that they posted
Along with the idea seasons Changing in game , currently the Only game that comes to mind that rotates seasons with success , is maybe stardew valley . I am drawing a blank there.  Biomes sure that is everyone's go to. and sure some games have * rain. But to have seasons change through the year as you play .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/20/2016 at 3:11 PM, Supermax said:

The update created an interesting bug for me. I went to play my 300+ day game and arrived at the dam in Mystery Lake. This game was one of those times where Fluffy didn't spawn in the dam. Obviously I've been to the dam many, many times in the 300+ days, and lived there for days at a time. Fluffy was never there. Well, the update added Fluffy. :) I had no idea he was there, went to sleep by the fire barrel, and during my sleep heard a wolf growling. Figured it was some kind of an audio bug, but then when I woke up, I saw him walking around. He probably won't be walking for much longer with the knife wounds and all, but it was definitely a huge surprise to find him there after almost a year of in-game time of him not being there. :)

Technically I think it's a bug, but it's actually kind of cool, so I wouldn't bother spending time on any fix. It could be explained that he jumped in through an open window. 

Quick update on this. Recently I came back to the same game mentioned here, after not playing since around January. And once again, I found Fluffy in the dam, even though I had killed him just a few days before that, in game time. This time I found it odd, since there had been no updates since then that I'm aware of.

Archived