Snowballs in Hell

Drifter Man

Day 1

I spawn just above Crystal Lake. The fastest route to Mountaineer’s Hut would be to climb down the rope, but I go around instead, collecting sticks, rosehips and cattail plants on the way. Rosehips are a must, because the only thing that can save me from wolves is running, and one can’t run with a sprained ankle. And cattails on the Crystal Lake will feed me for some time.

Before going to Mountaineer’s Hut, I make a stop at the fishing hut to find a toque there – almost like new, great find – plus a piece of cloth, also worth a fortune there in TWM. Then I head straight to base and start a fire to get warm, using the matches that can always be found next to the fireplace. All in all, the loot in the Hut is a disappointment, though. No hacksaw, not even the hammer, just a magnifying lens under the bed (not of much use, I cannot wait for good weather to start a fire). A copy of the Frozen Angler, which I intend to feed to the fire soon – there’s no time for reading this, even if I had something to break the ice in the hut, and something else to make a fishing line… Two bottles of accelerant will come in handy, and so will the sewing kit (also a guaranteed spawn, I think). Soda, tin of sardines, an insulated vest that I put on right away. Standing next to the fire, I use my only piece of cloth to repair my sweater.

I spend the rest of the day collecting sticks around the Landing Gear. I sleep in short increments through the night, which was so warm that I managed to get through without fire, saving matches and a ton of firewood. Good start.

Day 2

Yesterday’s effort took a toll on my health, and out of caution, I only slept in 2 hour increments, because a blizzard would mean a quick death in the Hut. I wake up at 64% condition.

This time I go to the far end of the lake to reap more cattails. I am so preoccupied by the bear wandering there that I almost miss a wolf charging me. I run across the lake like crazy, hearing the wolf’s breath behind me, coming closer and closer, and think – this is it. But it isn’t. The wolf catches up with me after a long pursuit close the Hut, but the struggle is brief and I suffer no harm. Perhaps the wolf was exhausted from the sprint?

I collect more firewood. This time, I have to burn a fire in the cold hours of morning.

Day 3

54% condition. It occurs to me: the wolf didn’t attack me like they usually do, after a careful approach. It ran towards me directly, as if defending its kill. There’s a deer carcass on the lake.

And yes, there it is. Carefully watching the local bear, I start a fire to thaw the carcass, intending harvest meat with my bare hands. As soon as the carcass is ready, strong wind blows in, threatening to kill my fire. I have to wait for maybe 2-3 hours, feeding the fire with stick after stick. The wolf comes back again, often running between my fire and the bear. Finally the wind ceases and I manage to harvest four kilograms of meat and two guts. It is about time I ate something else that cattail stalks!

il1.jpg

If the weather wasn’t so horrible, I could have taken all 8 kilograms, the whole thing. Now, the rest is lost.

Day 4

59% condition. Low on firewood and with only 5 matches left, I decide on a gamble. I’ll go to the wing, collecting as many sticks as possible, then walk to the Echo Ravine and the caves nearby. There are going to be matches, I know, and who knows, perhaps even a bedroll?

The first part of the plan is thwarted by wolves. I manage to avoid the one on the lake, even though it comes dangerously close while hunting for rabbits. But another comes at me as soon as I collect a few sticks. While running, I pass another, which stops feasting on its deer kill joins the fun. I run until I am out of breath. Just before that moment, the wolves give up.

Fine, except that I am now headed for the fallen tree above Echo Ravine instead of Echo itself. I continue and eventually reach the “Three-Way Cave” an open cave where there always are matches, torch and some firewood to find (nothing else in my case). Then I proceed to the long cave, which I call “Engine to Engine Cave”. While searching it, I find a pair of wool socks on a dead body – I immediately swap my cotton socks for them. Another torch and three lumps of coal, and that’s it. I start a small fire to warm up before leaving on the other side, and drink rosehip tea to get rid of a sprained ankle.

More sticks, cattails, and a rope down on my way home. Exhaustion kicks in and my condition is dropping rapidly, but I feel I can make it. I reach Mountaineer’s hut at 5% condition, check it is warm enough – it is afternoon – and sleep for 2 hours before making more thorough measures. I will live another day.

Day 5

Easy schedule. Collecting sticks around the Landing Gear. Juggling condition back to tolerable levels. I scrap my old cotton socks and use the cloth to repair my thermal underwear. 5°C temperature bonus in total, the best I’ve ever had here! Blizzard after nightfall. I sacrifice most of my remaining firewood and sleep for 8 hours.

Day 6

47% condition. Not great, but I need to get moving, for I’m running out of food. About 20 cattails are left. In the morning, I use the three hours left in the fire to run around the Hut, collecting sticks and returning to the fireplace for warmth. I leave about fifty in the hatch and head for the Wing, where I expect another deer carcass from Day 4. It’s there, but the weather takes a turn for the worse, and I don’t want to risk working in this wolf-infested area when the fire can go out. So I fix a makeshift base in the Forest cave (sacrificing my last piece of coal) and collect sticks. I lose condition down to 20% before coming back to base.

I couldn't get to the carcass, it is too dangerous. Tomorrow it may be too decayed… but I must give it a try.

A blizzards comes at nightfall. I use about 80 sticks to make a 10-hour fire and sleep.

Day 7

52% condition. Last 2 cattails left, then starvation. I collect sticks in the morning again, then head onto the lake to reap the remaining cattails. It’s not a bad hunt, I get about twelve, but there are no more. I move beyond the far end of the lake, watching out for the wolf patrolling there, and collect more sticks. It looks like a blizzard is coming. I don’t have enough firewood to make it through the blizzard and a cold night afterwards, but I’m already freezing again.

Returning to the hut, I watch a bear making angry sounds at me, and I retreat. I see a wolf attacking a deer on the lake. I want to – I have to – repeat the old trick. Giving the bear enough room, I approach the location of the kill.

Two things happen. First, I think the wolf flees from me, which makes me hesitate before I start running away. But the wolf quickly turns against me. Second, I somehow fail to hit the Shift key at first, and lose precious meters that separate me from the attacker. The wolf soon catches up with me on the lake, and at 29% condition I don’t stand much of a chance.

My longest TWM-only Interloper run so far. I’m living the Hotzn way now. I welcome your survival tips!

il2.jpg

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you couldn't find a harder challenge to jump into... :)

If you decide to keep on, your biggest issue (imo) is going to be sleeping, as I believe there is no bedroll spawn in TWM-Interloper (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) so you are forced to make it back every day to the mountaneer's hut until you manage to get the bear-bedroll (which without riffle, no bow and no arrows... not seeing this happenning). This means that the uppers levels of the map may be considered off limits, or at least really risky moves. 

You could fed via stealing deer kills from wolves and rabbit hunting... but your best bet for calories is going to be fishing. You'll also get oil while cooking it so your fire starting chances will increase drastically and you'll waste less matches. As soon as you get a line, a gut, and a scrap metal... make that little fishing hut your seccond home ;) You are going to need to work, long term, on your crafted clothes. If you don't find a weapon I'm also not seeing this happening.  

I don't know if the magny-glass is guaranteed spawn (I don't remember finding it on my few TWM-interloper runs) but if it isn't you got really lucky there. Long term survival needs fire... and matches will only get you so long.

I think interloper, at least at the begining, forces the player to move and gather the little resources on all areas in the game. Otherwise your chances to get decent gear and clothes are minimal. 

Good luck mate, you are going to need it :D 

TWM-only Interloper seems like a very interesting challenge.  But is it even possible?  I honestly don't know myself as I haven't had much time for the game in recent months.

• Any hacksaw on map?  You'd need it for the cargo crates.  I understand these give much less in interloper, but seems this would be your main source of cloth for clothing repairs.
  • if fishing is the way to go, how do you open the hole?  Which tool can be found on map?
  • and Ohbal's bedroll question.  Survival would be less tenuous if you could sleep in one of the transition caves, which are warmer than the hut.

I've been learning and thinking about these issues during those 12 runs I've had so far. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell to have a really long, self-sustaining run under these conditions. But maybe, if I am lucky, I could make a 20-30 day run. Maybe.

Bedroll is the key, because it would make it possible to sleep in the caves without the need for fire. This would free up time - instead of gathering massive amounts of firewood, I could look for food. I could also reach the Summit. The Summit is always three ropes away, too far without a chance to rest (or coffee).

Hacksaw can spawn in Mountaineer's Hut. Alternatively, the hammer spawns instead. In the run I described, I found neither, only the magnifying lens. The lens is problematic - in this situation, you don't have the luxury of choice when to start a fire. You usually need the fire "now". The hammer is the only way I know of in TWM to open the hole for fishing. But fishing requires gut (hard to get) and scrap metal (very rare in TWM). So it's definitely not a long-term option. Any kind of active hunting is out of the question (no arrowheads). Snares are the only way, I think.

The best chance I see is to find either a bedroll, or coffee - I found a tin once in the container at the Wing - and go for the Summit. Hope for good clothes, food and a firestriker perhaps. Because there are only 24 matches guaranteed to spawn, plus I once found 12 more, and then... no fire.

12 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

The hammer is the only way I know of in TWM to open the hole for fishing. But fishing requires gut (hard to get) and scrap metal (very rare in TWM). So it's definitely not a long-term option. Any kind of active hunting is out of the question (no arrowheads). Snares are the only way, I think.

I think you're right here. However, there's a fourth option you might consider - using wolves to kill deer (or rabbits), engaging them until they notice you, then outrunning them and stealing their kill later on. More or less what you did by chance in your last run - if only you had managed to jump into the fishing hut, ofc.^^

This kill-stealing strategy is actually how I get a fair share of my calories during early Interloper games if I don't come across enough cattail stalks and deer carcasses. It's a much more difficult and risky approach than snaring rabbits, but it's also more rewarding (way more meat and deerskin pants & boots in the long run). It's probably best  to combine both strategies.

However, it's of course essential for the kill-stealing that you control the precise place where the deer is going to be killed - it mustn't be too far away from a save spot (fishing hut/fallen tree/steep rock or hillside/any building or loading screen cave) so you can outrun and escape the wolf safely. Sometimes the deer needs to be chased over quite some distance to get it to a suitable position.^^

As for TWM-only survival on Interloper.. well, that's definitely an interesting challenge. I'm pretty sure it's not going to work out in the long run (50d+), but for a few weeks it might be possible. If I find the time, I might try this a bit myself during the next weeks. :)

4 hours ago, Scyzara said:

This kill-stealing strategy is actually how I get a fair share of my calories during early Interloper games if I don't come across enough cattail stalks and deer carcasses. It's a much more difficult and risky approach than snaring rabbits, but it's also more rewarding (way more meat and deerskin pants & boots in the long run). It's probably best  to combine both strategies.

Good - I will try to learn this method, until now I wasn't even sure if it is practical. In TWM around the Hut, there is not much else to use as a source of food.

I'm not sure I'll be ever able to craft any clothes, except maybe mittens (only one sewing kit and 2-3 fishing lines at best).

5 hours ago, Scyzara said:

However, there's a fourth option you might consider - using wolves to kill deer (or rabbits), engaging them until they notice you, then outrunning them and stealing their kill later on.

This is how I am able to thrive when I play on TWM against the Old Bear.  The wolves that hang around the lake have always seemed like killing machines to me.  I get him to leave his kill and follow me as I duck into the fishing hut, then let the wolf make another kill and repeat.  After a few hours, I sometimes have as many as 2 deer and 3 rabbits laying around to harvest. 

There are no rifles or bows when you play the Old Bear, so the situations are similar in that regard.  However, The Hunted challenge has everything set to Stalker levels.  I can loot the vast majority of the mountain in 20 days and have so much stuff that I will have to start storing some of it outside the Mountaineer's Hut.  In my most recent run, I'm at Day 48 and have a ridiculous amount of everything.  The floor is covered in animal skins that I probably won't need to start craft into clothing until Day 200.  So, if you were really wanting to play only on TWM, for a change of pace from your lengthy Dam experiment, then you would have success in Stalker.

I don't see how it could be done in Interloper, because the loot is significantly more sparse and the temperatures are much colder.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with the loads of loot that are generally in the cargo containers on TWM, but in Interloper there is just a fraction of it.  I had considered trying the same thing you are, because I just love TWM!  So, I recorded the contents of all the cargo containers (only half as many as on the other difficulty levels) and this is what I found:

Hut - Hacksaw 85%, granola, vest, 12 matches, newspaper, note, book, 1 random

Wing Cargo - 2 beans, 1 peach, 5 coffee, 5 tea

Deer Clearing Cargo - 2 tomato soup, 2 cloth, 3 metal

Tail - Flare gun, 8 flare shells, hammer, 6 anti, 6 pain, bandage, antiseptic, 2 leather, deer, wolf, rabbit, stim, 2 newspapers, 5 tea, 10 coffee, 3 crackers, sneakers, 2 boots, work boots, wool socks, down jacket, gloves, toque, vest, 2 peaches, 2 beans, 1 soda, 24 matches, accelerant, scrap metal

It would be amazing if anyone could find a way to live long term in Interloper on TWM only!

On 12/18/2016 at 2:41 PM, Timber Wolf said:

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the loads of loot that are generally in the cargo containers on TWM

I'm not, and I am taking notes of what I find whenever I get the chance to open one. They are like Christmas presents, so I won't read the spoiler section for now :)

In the meantime, Snowball 13 was attacked by wolves on his way from the spawn location to the Mountaineer's Hut and died while turning his socks into bandages. Snowball 14 catastrophically failed to manage his body heat and fatigue and went from 100% to 0% within 12 hours on his third day, dying of hypothermia and shame. Snowball 15 is rolling now.

Snowball 15 had a promising start - a 9kg deer kill bagged on Crystal Lake - but died before eating it all. The wolf whose kill was stolen took revenge by showing up unexpectedly at the entrance to the Mountaineer's Hut.

Snowball 16 had an even more promising start - three packs of matches, 8 coals, +5°C temperature bonus, all on Day 1. With the hacksaw found at the Hut, I decided to go straight for the containers, because later I might be too weak to do that. I reached the Wing (3 x pinnacle peaches), took refuge in the Forest Cave to warm up, then wanted to continue towards Echo. Leaving the cave, I saw the wolf in time to hide and wait for it to attack a deer. Then I went carefully around, keeping safe distance. But the wolf got spooked by a bear and started running at me. I started running, too, but I knew it was the end. There was nothing Snowball 16 could have done to avoid this situation, except maybe sitting at home.

Snowball 17 died again in a wolf attack near the wing - I declare this place a no go area. The presence of two wolves, one bear and multiple deer, in combination with difficult terrain, makes wildlife behavior in this place unpredictable.

Initially, Snowball 18 was unremarkable. I escaped a wolf encounter on my way to the Mountaineer's Hut (at the cost of a dangerous fall that caused some condition loss) and collected 4 kilograms of meat from a deer kill on Day 2. There was no hacksaw at the Hut, only hammer, and I already had the 24 matches guaranteed to spawn in TWM, so all I could do was to stretch it out for as long as possible. I collected all cattails around Crystal Lake and continuously exchanged condition for firewood. There were no more deer kills on the lake I could use. I utilized all my resources, breaking down the shelf with the hammer for 6 pieces of reclaimed wood, then taking the hammer apart for fir firewood.

On the night before Day 12, I healed back from 8% to 32% but woke up with no firewood and no food left, and to top it all, cabin fever struck me. As if nature decided to kill me three times at once! Igniting my lantern for some warmth, I waited until fuel ran out, then quickly collected a few sticks and stretched my existence for a few more hours. There still were 4 matches left when I died.

I don't think I can do much better than this unless I get the hacksaw, find some coffee in a container and make it to the Summit.

s18_1.jpgs18_2.jpgs18_3.jpg

Dunno if you've been alive long enough to cure a gut and make fishing tackle yet, but a hammer will open the fishing hole.  It can be a pretty good source of calories, even without a hacksaw.

Your Snowball stories are like a trip down memory lane for me.  I rolled TWM-only stalker games many times over the course of a few months, learning the zone and how to play on stalker.  I didn't name or number them, but now I wish I had.   Snowball is dead!  Long live Snowball!

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Dunno if you've been alive long enough to cure a gut and make fishing tackle yet, but a hammer will open the fishing hole.  It can be a pretty good source of calories, even without a hacksaw.

You know, even if the guts had enough time to cure, and even if I had the chance to get any, I still wouldn't be able to fish. I needed the full day every day just to collect enough wood to make it through the night. Every day I needed about 9 hours of fire to heal back a little while sleeping safely. That's about 70 sticks, because sticks are all you can get without tools. The situation with firewood was constantly desperate, increasingly so in the final days. If I went fishing instead, I would have to keep a fire in the stove, spending firewood instead of getting more (or become a frozen angler within 2-3 hours).

On Interloper you just aren't supposed to survive in TWM alone.

10 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

I'm not sure you can survive on any one map in Interloper. :)   I find it best to cruise through a few maps quickly early on, looking in all the main spots for the key items.

Surviving in PV alone works without any problems and is also extremely easy. I spend the first 50 days or so of my current Interloper game there before I got bored and left to craft some arrowheads. ;)

DP is no problem as a starting map either. The really hard nuts to crack are only TWM and FM, and even those would be fine in theory (for easily a month or two+) IF only there was a bedroll somewhere to be found.

As @Drifter Man said: The true problem on these maps is that you need tons of sticks every time you want to sleep and heal. Which is not only a huge time sink (and condition sink as you unavoidably lose some condition while collecting the sticks), but also prevents you from getting any bigger actions (e.g. crafting a set of herbivore fur clothes) done in the long run. So you don't really have much hope to improve your situation over time.

Oh, and the very limited amount of matches on these maps doesn't help much either, ofc. But that's rather some kind of a background problem in my opinion. If you can sleep-heal inside a warm loading screen cave, you don't need to start a fire more than once every few days or so.

After the 11-day run of Snowball 18 I decided to keep only those snowballs rolling for which hacksaw would spawn in the Mountaineer's Hut. This led to five aborted snowballs until I lost patience and proceeded with the sixth, without the hacksaw again, anyway. Snowball 19 turned out to be a useful, although failed, run.

I spawned in the spot above the Echo Ravine and followed my standard procedure: [see spoiler box at the end]

On Day 2 I successfully harvested 8.9 kg of venison from a kill that a wolf conveniently put near the fishing hut. I defended it against a bear and two wolves. I was proud of myself! I even extracted two guts with bare hands. Now, let's count: that's almost 6 hours of fire, and I needed some more in fact. It was a death sentence. The firewood I spent while harvesting the carcass could not be replaced. Not that I didn't have time to collect it - there simply weren't enough sticks around for me to gather. With luck and some skill that I had learned in previous attempts, I managed to stretch my agony to 6 days.

Unless you can use the hacksaw, don't take more than 4-5 kg of meat, and forget the guts. If you take the whole thing, you won't live long enough to eat it.

1. Turn left and go to the "three-way" open cave; on the way, collect rosehips (6 bushes), also take two reishi mushrooms but not more. Plus sticks, of course.
  2. In the "three-way" cave, take the firewood, matches, torch and anything else you find.
  3. Proceed to the "engine-to-engine" large cave. You may find a corpse on the way; if so, search it. I once found a box of matches there.
  4. In the cave, light a torch. It should give enough heat to get you above 0°C. Search the cave for coal. Coal can be found shortly after the entrance when you take the right turn, plus in the two larger caverns. There usually is a corpse in the first cavern (another torch + some goodies, often a book; forget about reading books here, use them to start fires). Sometimes there is another in the second one (antibiotics + other stuff if you are lucky). There may be a piece of fir firewood to be found in the top cavern.
  5. Before leaving the cave, start a fire with your torch, warm up and make water. You can also make rosehip tea, because you may need it in case of an ankle sprain (wrist sprains can be ignored). Give the fire enough fuel to last 3 hours. When you are warmed up, run to Andre's Peak to get 3 pieces of cedar and more sticks. There is a rosehip bush, too. Return to the cave and warm up again.
  6. Leaving the cave, collect some sticks and head down the river. Watch out for the wolf on the other bank. Above the rope, collect a few cattails. Take a look down to see where the bear and the wolves are. Rope down.
  7. Get a few more cattails close by on the right bank, but don't go further unless you want to risk a wolf encounter. Head to the right and hold on to the rocks. More sticks there.
  8. Eventually you will get to Landing gear (more sticks on the way) and to the Mountaineer's Hut.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:46 PM, Drifter Man said:

Unless I'm missing something, TWM-only Interloper is not as hard as it is impossible :)

Correction. It is still hard - but possible.

Snowball 24 just died after 9 days due to a stupid mistake, but otherwise he was fine, with a relatively safe outlook to ca 15 days. Most importantly, he was no longer melting away every day, actually he was gaining condition! With proper management of time and other resources, I believe one can survive in the Mountaineer's Hut until matches run out. Snowball 25, and those after him, will test that assumption. Stay tuned!

(Hint: You need to burn fire at night. No one said you have to sleep at night.)

18 hours ago, Pillock said:

Night fishing deserves a stormy night.

Don't get me wrong. Snowballs still cling to life nails and teeth. An unfortunate twist of the elements - an ill-timed blizzard in particular - can put them out of their misery very quickly. Like Snowball 25 just now, after he had been forced to burn fire for 20 hours straight, spending all reserves. Even if he had time for such frivolities like fishing, he had no hammer to open hole and no gut to make line.

Far be for me to offer advice, given both my dismal Interloper record and my hazy-at-best knowledge of TWM, but I've been thinking about this and have a few ideas for you to dismiss out of hand as clearly ridiculous and useless, if you'd like.

So, it sounds to me like you're dying of fuel collection? You need to burn less fuel! And If you can't survive at the hut without burning 20 hour fires, then maybe the hut isn't the place to live?

It doesn't sound like any one single place should be your home. I think it could be the hut that is killing you, rather than the wolves or the cold. Have you thought about moving from place to place depending on the weather and your immediate health needs? Freezing is worse than starvation or exhaustion, so perhaps consider de-prioritising the latter two? You will probably need to warm up more often than you will need to sleep, so you might want to spend more time in the vicinity of the cave (where temperature is constant) than the hut. You might only be able to sleep when it's warm enough to do so without fire (again, exhaustion causes relatively slow condition loss)? Forget whether it's "day" or "night", and pay heed only to temperature, wind and visibility, commuting the map depending on what the sky's doing. What about a snow shelter - they allow sleep, if you have the spare cloth, and you could put it near the cave. Food: get guts as early as poss, surely! At least so you can trap rabbits? Otherwise you're without a sustainable food source and effectively just waiting to die, anyway? If there is no magnifying lens, then you really are just waiting to die, though, unless you actually think you can sustain permanent fire: is that worth a test (remember that sticks burn longer as brands)?

Afaik, a bedroll never spawns in TWM so sleeping in a cave is out and there is very little cloth for a snow shelter unless you can find a hacksaw then open the closest container containing clothes which I think is near the engine below the three way cave - this is a bit of a mission in a normal Interloper game. A mag glass does sometimes spawn in the hut but I can't remember what other combinations of useful items spawn with it. And twenty hour fires makes it sound like there may not always be much chance to sleep in the day without a fire. Harvesting snared rabbits will usually require a fire without a hacksaw - a fire that would be better spent harvesting a deer killed by a wolf.

@Drifter Man I notice that you do not start by going to the cave half way between the fallen tree bridge and the rope to Deer Clearing where there is often a piece or two of cedar - any reason?

19 hours ago, Pillock said:

And If you can't survive at the hut without burning 20 hour fires, then maybe the hut isn't the place to live?

That 20-hour case was an exception. I started the fire normally during the night, but a blizzard came in the morning and lasted throughout the day. Bad timing, but such things happen. The hut is the only place where you can rest (except snow shelters, which didn't occur to me until you mentioned them).

19 hours ago, Pillock said:

You might only be able to sleep when it's warm enough to do so without fire (again, exhaustion causes relatively slow condition loss)? Forget whether it's "day" or "night", and pay heed only to temperature, wind and visibility, commuting the map depending on what the sky's doing.

That's exactly what I am doing now, and it works - I am able to accumulate wood and increase my condition.

20 hours ago, Pillock said:

What about a snow shelter - they allow sleep, if you have the spare cloth, and you could put it near the cave.

That could be a very good idea. I have 1 spare cloth at best, but as @mystifeid noted, the container at the Engine could give me more. But hacksaw is not guaranteed. Only some snowballs get this chance.

Food: get guts as early as poss, surely!

Not easy. I haven't found any pre-spawned carcasses near the hut and while trying to extract deer kills from wolves, I died many more times than I succeeded - it just happened to the promising Snowball 26, who was blessed with 36 matches! But this experience leads me to the idea that I should locate a pre-spawned carcass in a safe location and get the guts from it, it may be worth the investment even if it doesn't come with much meat.

If there is no magnifying lens, then you really are just waiting to die

Right - but even 24 matches can stretch for a while. You need fire when it's cold, you can't start fire arbitrarily when it's sunny. So I don't find the mag lens very helpful.

sticks burn longer as brand

Can you elaborate? If I start a fire, I need to put in 3 sticks to take out a brand. In ca 20 in-game minutes I can start another one from the brand with at least 3 sticks... I don't think this saves firewood. What am I missing?

Archived