Suggestions, Wishlist - Polar bears,Repairable shelters, Avalanche and more!

djanico

I posted this on another thread.. but i think its best here IMHO, added a few more!

How to make the game more interesting:

1> Fish scarcity/ Nomadic Deers, Even fishing holes over long time should produce less fish (with a reset timer of X days), forcing you to use different fishing spots. Deers should deplete in one zone, and then replenish on another. Forcing exploration.

2> Wolf Packs/Dens, after XX days, Now you will see random wolf packs of 3 wolfs all walking and hunting together. Multiple wolves can attack you, so you must learn to avoid these packs or risk an all out assault. (still provide loner wolves spawns as necessary for furs). They may have a local wolves den with an Alpha Wolf.

3> The local bear has a chance start hunting you. (Ala Hunted challenge...) after XX days Yogi is getting hungry and wants his picnic basket... he will start to track you, even to your home location. Have him roar and knock at your doorstep! (Stalker and/or interloper mode only).

4> Damaged/Repairable shelters: After so many blizzards, make the houses/shelters take damage. Damage taken will reduce the heat capacity of the houses as they degrade. This will require you to repair your shelter, or find a new one. Add a new menu item in the Gui that shows shelter condition (% dmg), and indoor temperature. Add models showing degradation of the homes.  Add "nails" as in ingame item that can be forged and/or workshopped. as well as an item that can be looted around containers (mid-construction houses/toolboxes come to mind). Nails and wood are needed to repair your home.  Bears that hunt you down and start banging your home and also cause shelter damage. Shelters can reach a point of ruined and unusable? is damaged too much.

5> Skill Tree Addons:

A. Workshop skill: Add a workshop skill, This skill increases any time you forge weapons, arrows, sharpening. Snares, hooks etc. Anything crafted by a workshop or repairing tools type activity. The higher Workshop skill you get you can now start making other new Workshop items, Traps... Basic Spears.. Trip wire with warning Bells, Shovels!?

B, Cooking skill: The higher the skills get newer recipes as you start to become inventive! Add A Stew! you can make with water, meat, rose hips..or other type vegetables. Gives better bonuses and such

5> Food Degradation/Storage: just a personal note. I noticed that leaving food outside in the open air preserves food better than keeping it indoor. Leaving food outside SHOULD ATTRACT WOLVES AND BEARS!! So leaving any kind of spoils (meat guts etc) should bring your local wolves and bears for a visit.  Add Salt in the game, you can find salt as a looted item in houses, or even add them as an item you can acquire in mines. The Hibernia whaling station and Riken should also carry abundant salt. Salt will allow you to safely preserve food indoors, at a cost of increased thirst when eating salty food.

6> Random Events: Rare Wolves Den in Caves with an Alpha wolf! Meaner and larger than a regular wolf. A momma bear with 2 cubs that will attack anything remotely near them, a Rare white Polar Bear hunting seals/fish! Killing it you can harvest his head as a hat piece (to workshop) and his claws as a weapon to fabricate! Your in your shelter during a blizzard and a large tree branch slams into your house taking severe damage! Also good events, Fishing abundance! (Chance to find a good fishing spot! Herd of deers roaming the land to hunt down! (which retroactively will also incite wolf packs!)

7> Quests/Challenges in sandbox: Have the main char come up with his own ideas.. and then add them to the journal as a quest. This would be a great way to implement some of the "Challenges" into a sandbox game.Some other Challenges to add.

A. Field Radio: I wonder if i can grab a battery off a vehicle and connect it to a field radio and attempt to contact anyone? (Will need to get a random car battery and retrieve a field radio.. than make a makeshift antennae) This will allow the char to spend time tuning in to see if there's any broadcasts..

B. The Polar Bear: The rare Polar bear is now seizing the fishing spots and local wildlife that you need to survive... one of you has got to go. But he is just way too fast and strong for you to face alone. But I'm wondering if i can trick the bear by luring it to the Wolves Den and see if they can help bring it down.... just a matter of setting up the bait and trap.

C. Search for survivors: Have the main character attempt to search for survivors at X location.

8> More Injuries/Aid items: Other injuries that can be added in game that some may be more long term affecting..

A. Malnutrition/Anorexia: After starving yourself for longer periods of time than normal for several days, your body is now more weakend due to it. You cannot recover 100% of your health (cap it at % of health and then gradually keep bringing it lower are you become weaker and weaker) You also cannot carry a standard weight of 30 kgs.. now its only 25.. or 20.. You can cure it by keeping yourself properly fed.

B, Broken Bones: Either by a really ugly fall, or a random result of a nasty Bear or Moose attack, Your manage to get some bones broken... A broken arm means any task will take twice the time to accomplish (only one hand) requires a sling (1st aid item to add)  Broken Leg means your mobility is severely impaired, you can construct a crutch (1st aid item) to increase mobility to the sprained ankle movement speed at best. Broken Rib: Weakened stamina as you have problems breathing. To cure it you need to rest well and create a makeshift cast or brace for the afflicted limb (new 1st aid item)

C. Head injury/Concussion: Vision can randomly blur.. you may feel dizzy.. and may even pass out randomly  for 10-30min. Bandage the head Proper Resting Should help, also drinking Stew to heal faster.

9> AVALANCHE!!!!: The result of several blizzards coming in can add a heap of snow on hills and mountains, As you trek across them you have a chance to trigger an avalanche!! Add a neat cinematic tumble as you roll and tumble with the loud roar of the avalanche and a heavy heft of snow burying you!!  An Avalanche will cause you to take damage and bring your temperature to Freezing Automatically, you will also be in Hypothermia. Apply random injuries if the Devs desire as well. You will need to work out the snow on top of you to attempt to dig your way out or risk dying..Please see the "Shovel" item i added in the workshop skills. Having a shovel will greatly increase the chance of getting out!

10> Heavy Cold Spell/Cold Snap: Uncommon event starting after XX days... Have it be real serene and quiet outside... but your character will make an audible warning "The air is feeling allot colder than usual!" Temperature will gradually fall really cold but this time it will cause your indoor shelter temperature to drop significantly also! Hope you have a shelter with a fire and kindling stacked up and ready to fire up! Its about to get really cold inside! You will have to hug that oven until the spell passes.

I believe Dysentery is already an affliction caused by drinking untreated water.

I like the Cold Spell idea: after playing the Whiteout challenge, I really wanted a more "open" version of it.  In other words, rather than a checklist on a timer, have a calendar like it currently does but which ends in a solid 2+ weeks of blizzard.  You win if you make it out the other side.  What you stockpile is up to you, you just have to survive it, in other words. The Cold Spell would sort of be a non-"challenge" version of that.

For Random Encounters, I really think it'd keep you on your toes if caves had a (very) low chance of spawning a resident wolf.  It'd be neat also if there were occasional "lone wolves" that wander way off their scripted path, for the occasional surprise.  A lot of these are great ideas but I don't think we'll see a lot of super-advanced crafting or base-building, I don't think that's the "type" of game they're going for.

A lot of these are great ideas but I don't think we'll see a lot of super-advanced crafting or base-building, I don't think that's the "type" of game they're going for.

Thing is i seen many posts on people like to "hunker down" on a spot and just live there.. eventually stockpiling tons of food and get bored as it becomes "too easy". Its not really a question of building a base per say.. just proper maintenance to upkeep wherever you call your shelter "home". Houses/shelters (aside caves of course) degrade over time without proper care.

If this cant be done then my next suggestion would be to have the bear that hunts you start breaking your door. If successful he will then spawn inside your shelter! You got the option of trying to kill him right there and then, or if you flee and leave your shelter, the bear will remain inside and begin to destroy/eat everything. TO including your stockpile of food/tools.He will remain inside for say. 3-4hrs and wreck havoc.. After he leaves the place is trashed, your loot is littered everywhere, Some items may get damaged, your food will definitely be gone =D

8 hours ago, djanico said:

Archer, it gets VERY VERY COLD, more cold than normal, so even if it looks clear and nice outside, the temperature is like  -40 outside and inside! You have to have fire pot inside house and start a fire quickly before you freeze to death

That seems awesome. Since I live on the southern hemisphere, that sounds like something we call "South Wind" here. When air comes from the polar region and, although the sky is amazingly clear (there are barely any clouds) it gets seriously cold.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

This is not true.  I have made several extended runs with the Old Bear hunting me the entire time!  I've gone over 100 days with him on TWM.  He's my buddy and I play with him regularly. :)

What was implied in the thread was that the bear would be right outside your door and attempting entry. I'd expect scratch marks on a door and the bear lying in wait nearby. I might have read too deeply in, but yeah.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for Necroing a thread, but I do like the idea of avalanches. If there has been a heavy blizzard recently, and the slope of a mountain is just right, I think there should be potential for causing one. Now, it need not be fatal, although it could be, given the right circumstances. Have a slight warning, like the crack of the snow giving way, and a small chance to run for the safety of the trees. The fall would damage clothing, equipment, and possibly bury some items so that you might have to search for them if they are, indeed, essential. You could sustain multiple injuries, depending on the extent of the avalanche. Finally, the avalanche could be used as an offensive weapon for a very strategic-minded and patient survivalist. Imagine finding a perfect avalanche patch, luring a bear to the bottom of that patch, perhaps with some bait, and then setting it off with the rifle or some other means....

Just a thought, of course.

Some really good suggestions here that I like.  It'd be interesting as well with the damaged shelters if you could repair technically any shelter you find that's been damaged (some might just take more materials to repair than others).  Put that forge hammer to some real work =P.

Archived