Confusion about wolf fight mechanics

bikingviking

I just started playing TLD again (v.375) after a long time away. Most of the recent changes to the game are great. However one thing I'm confused about is the wolf fights.

How exactly do the fights work now? Am I just supposed to mash the left mouse button? Is there any strategy or timing involved?

I know that clothing, weapons, etc. affect the outcome of a fight. I've figured out that when you fill the bottom bar, the wolf runs away.

So what's the best way to fill that bar quickly? Is it just a matter of hitting the LMB as fast as I can?

How exactly do the fights work now? Am I just supposed to mash the left mouse button? Is there any strategy or timing involved?

Yes, you are just supposed to mash the LMB, and no there is no strategy or timing involved.

There used to be a system where you had to pump up for a coming strike with RMB and then hit LMB but I guess that didn't translate to console well, and/or it was confusing and frustrating to new players, who would soon abandon the game or something, so they simplified it.

Not a decision I'm overjoyed with, since mashing is just a silly mechanic imo and I'd just gotten the hang of the left-right combo, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure you should expect to have time to co-ordinate a strategic attack when in the grip of a vicious wolf mauling. It's basically a panicked flailing with whatever you happen to have on hand, which luckily is your knife (if you have one.) The rapid mouse click is a decent way to represent that, but I admit it could probably be better. Perhaps a combination of left/right movement keys and mouse clicks, to simulate a struggle and defensive movements, would be more accurate?

I myself experienced a rather unusual wolf encounter recently that kind of defied the norm. I heard the wolf growling and turned in time to see it rushing me. I started clicking the LMB before it pounced and noticed that I had my knife in hand before the wolf hit me. Then without even the struggle scene the wolf yelped, turned and ran away, I wasn't injured at all. I wasn't able to track the wolf so I don't know if it was hurt enough to die. 

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:02 PM, Silverhour said:

I myself experienced a rather unusual wolf encounter recently that kind of defied the norm. I heard the wolf growling and turned in time to see it rushing me. I started clicking the LMB before it pounced and noticed that I had my knife in hand before the wolf hit me. Then without even the struggle scene the wolf yelped, turned and ran away, I wasn't injured at all. I wasn't able to track the wolf so I don't know if it was hurt enough to die. 

I had a similar experience lately, which is what got me confused about this mechanic. Was playing in Interloper and a wolf attacked, I started mashing the LMB a bit early, and the wolf ran off almost right away. I took maybe 1% damage. So I figured maybe I'd accidentally landed some sort of special attack.

Anyway, thanks for confirming this is indeed how it works. I wanted to bring it up here because it's the only game mechanic that I found really confusing. After a long time away from TLD, most of the newer mechanics (firewood foraging, bow hunting, curing, animal tracking, etc.) are very intuitive. Wolf fights, not so much. It took me a while to understand what the big bar was and how to drive it up.

Confusion aside, I would like to see some form of special attacks in these fights, so it's not just pure button mashing. One idea I like is timing-based special hits, where every second or so you'd get a brief window of time to score a special hit (maybe by hitting the RMB, or holding down the LMB). This way new players could still mash away, but experienced players might be able to land a couple of special attacks and win a fight faster.

Confusion aside, I would like to see some form of special attacks in these fights, so it's not just pure button mashing. One idea I like is timing-based special hits, where every second or so you'd get a brief window of time to score a special hit (maybe by hitting the RMB, or holding down the LMB). This way new players could still mash away, but experienced players might be able to land a couple of special attacks and win a fight faster.

Love that idea of time based hits!..

A combo of left and right mouse may be better in a fight (2 hands.. not just one). Clicking the left mouse pushes the wolf back by the neck, the right click is attack with weapon)   I would like also a kick to the wolf as he is charging you (a timed instance as he is lunging at you) this will cause the wolf to either a> % chance to flee scared away but he's  unharmed, or b > he will take the hit and continue to lunge at you. You miss the kick.. well you still getting wolf all in your face.

Archived