Snow Shelters

SteveP

Snow Shelter Purpose and Enhancements  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As players test themselves in the Forlorn Muskeg, I think we'll see more snow shelter users.

The main benefit I have seen is making one while stuck in a blizzard too far to make it to shelter. Waited out the storm and then moved on when conditions were better.

When moving from one location to another, you may have a lot of weight that means struggling on in a storm is simply impossible. Having a snow shelter ready for that long move is just good planning! When I move from one map to another, I like to bring along my spare clothing and hides.

The snow shelter may become useful during longer trips on Interloper when you are without bedroll. For example, when travelling from Jackrabbit to the Lighthouse in DP you suffer quite some freezing damage and exhaustion. Could make sense to build a fire and snow shelter on the way.

wow how legit is this poll? i cant remember voting on such a large poll and options, which makes me think the OP can still add options after a poll starts which erm makes all these polls useless data. I might be wrong but just saying! pretty sure this was an issue a while back with this forum polls. prb why HTS don't use them?

Oddly, snow-shelters are a feature that I was really excited about, but have very seldom used. Between the amount of cloth they use, and the time it takes to build them, they don't seem to be a great go-to option. However, they're probably more useful than I'm giving them credit for, but they just aren't part of my playing habits. I'd probably enjoy seeing them gain a little more depth; I liked the option that was suggested of being able to build different levels of them - really fast ones to let you try to wait out a storm, vs ones that take more materials (probably hides and reclaimed wood), which could last much better, and be something more akin building an approximation of an outdoor shelter, out in the world. 

I love to wander, explore, and roam.  I hate sitting in a shelter for too long.  Invariably, I wind up getting caught out in some mess between buildings (weather, too dark, too tired, etc) and I gotta make my own shelter.  So, when I set out on an expedition, I try to keep cloth on hand for a snow shelter and pick up sticks when my "this-is-probably-a-bad-idea-but-I'm-not-gonna-stop-now" senses get to tingling.  lol

I would like to see an ad-hoc wind-break/shelter that could be put together on different terrain (uneven, rocky, icy, etc.) that uses different items aside from just sticks and cloth.  Why not sticks and hides lashed together with gut?  Doesn't have to be big or provide a warmth bonus, but just something to put up to block the wind from yourself/protect a fire.  It would give you an option for those times when you ignore your better judgment and wind up getting lost out on the ice at night/in a blizzard with no shelter in sight... like I may or may not have done a time or two...  IRL, if I'm stuck in that kind of situation and I have -anything- in my possession that I could use as a windbreak to increase my chances of survival...I'm gonna use it.  It's just (more) common sense (than what put me there in the first place).  Not to mention it would give me something to do with all those extra wolf hides...

I have only used a snow shelter a couple of times, but would love it to become a much more viable option worthy of common consideration.

1. The cloth is a highly awkward and annoying component - especially as I usually have excess pelts with no further use other than occasional repairs to crafted clothing. On some maps, cloth can also be pretty hard to come by, whilst others with plenty of fixed shelters have it in abundance - and due to there being so many fixed shelters on these maps,the snow shelter is rendered pretty obsolete - other than to combat cabin fever.

2. They can be highly frustrating to try and place, and you can spend what feels like an eternity in a blizzard trying to find a spot that you can actually construct one. Especially one that has some reachable point outside that might provide wind shelter for a fire.

3. Would love the ability to use the shelter as a container of sorts to dump excess items in while on a hunting or gathering mission far from base camp - or to have some kind of container inside it that could be used. I hate dropping lots of individual items on the ground.

I haven't yet be challenged in the game to make one. I think its a great addition to the game but i personally haven't yet been pushed to any need to build one to survive. But that might be my play style, not the fault of the shelter.

Much like most of the Lets Plays i watch on the vid channels, i tend to do what many do and camp in a cave or just persevere to a cabin or hut. But then i do play on stalker all the time and not Interloper. I never really struggle to get to a enclosed building of some sort because i know the maps so well and know exactly where i am. If the buildings maybe was less and randomly placed on each play-through i might then need to build one. I do understand on Interloper you have no bedroll and most buildings are burnt but even then i watch many players still make it safely to a building somewhere they know about. 

Maybe in time i will find a need to build one when i spend more time in Muskeg or Timberwolf Mountain on Interloper. But i haven't yet built one and to be honest most likely wont. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Hackfleisch said:

I've yet to try out snow shelters, do they stay up indefinitely? I plan to build one close to my Camp office so I can 'practice' surviving the night outdoors for a while.

They require maintenance so you should check the condition of it every couple days at least. I made my first shelter while at the Camp Office also, at Dave's Quiet Clearing along the Lake trail which is a great spot that is safe and nice and close.

Also if you know how to 'footpath' it up to the Lake Lookout from the Camp office, there is a cave you can use as shelter too :fire:

Personally, I would very much like to see a sort of igloo-like Snow Shelter, where you can crawl around from within, with enough extra space to place down an item or two if desired, rather than the current view we have of basically being buried under a mound of snow and cloth with no room to move at all.

Archived