Question regarding possibility of variable season sandboxes.

ThePrivateer

For sake of conversation: (not argument) :)

We do a LOT of ice fishing where I live (Eastern Canada... Nova Scotia to be exact) and I have never heard of one on stilts.  :/

In my province, any fish shack left unattended overnight or through the season has to have the owner's name and number legibly identified on the structure.  if not, you get a fine.

If you don't remove it before the thaw and it sinks, etc you get a fine.

Lots of 'em are on skis/skids so we drag 'em on and off the ice when necessary.

Oh, so they are placed each winter season and removed when the warm comes back? Cool! I confess my absolute ignorance on ice-fishing, we don't have a lot of that in Spain :D

This could turn into an interesting building mechanic I guess. More reasons to look forward for the full year cycle!

Yep. Some guys just fish through the ice with no shelter at all.  Other shelters are light aluminum and canvas and can be folded up clam shell style..  Then there's the shacks.

The shacks never stay out for the thaw, obviously.

They also never have big cast iron stoves in them.  We actually heat them with Coleman Lanterns, exactly like the ones in The Long Dark.  It could be -10c outside but you get 3 dudes in a fishin' shack with 2 coleman lanterns and within 15 minutes you are fishin' in a t-shirt and opening the door to cool off.  Of course we always have a thermos of hot beverage as well.  Tea, coffee, mulled wine or hot rum drink.  It's great! :)

That picture is taken just down river from my cottage.  A good example of ice fishing in our area. :)

Ice-fishing-Nyanza-Bay-Bras-dOr-Lake.jpg

@ThePrivateer - many thanks for the info and the picture, very nice first-hand information on ice fishing. In the part of Germany where I live, we have no such thing. So it's great to learn a little about it. It also shows some of the difficulties of introducing seasons. TLD presumes that the catastrophic event occurred in that same Winter season, otherwise nobody would have put up those ice fishing huts. So what is going to become of them when the season changes? The ice will melt and they sink or swim away. So obviously, in another Winter season to follow, they cannot be there anymore. Unless the game resorts to something like them being permanent, eg resting on stakes. Which, as we have learned now, is... excuse the overused term... unrealistic. ;)

The changing seasons have been announced now, so they will likely come some day in the future. Personally, I am not in favour of that, but that is because I prefer that doomsday scenario the game had at the beginning - that Winter is coming, the world is coming to an end etc. But well... that's a personal preference, and I can totally understand those brighter spirits who want to kindle hope, survive, plant trees, build a house and start a new civilisation.

I think what would be interesting is if they sank during the first spring, never to be recovered.  That would make sense, and it would make the subsequent winters more challenging to survive.  There could be a new mechanic for fishing right out on the ice like you guys are talking about, and/or there could be a buildable (temporary) shelter like the snow shelter that could be used for fishing.  That would be pretty cool.

14 minutes ago, Best_Leopard said:

I think what would be interesting is if they sank during the first spring, never to be recovered.  That would make sense, and it would make the subsequent winters more challenging to survive.  There could be a new mechanic for fishing right out on the ice like you guys are talking about, and/or there could be a buildable (temporary) shelter like the snow shelter that could be used for fishing.  That would be pretty cool.

Yes it would :winky:

You should still have the option to try and rescue one though. Ice huts are normally on skis so if you put in a lot of effort (and removed the stove first!) you should be able to drag one to shore over the course of a day or two.

Another possibility would be to allow the player to construct fishing huts from raw lumber. Hack up some wood with the hatchet and then saw it into boards with the hacksaw. For nails, I imagine the player could either make them like with hooks from scrap metal at a workbench, or alternatively it could require more effort and nails might require the use of the Riken's forge. Either way, with nails and boards constructed, the player could then use the hammer to fashion a fishing hut.

All this sounds like a ton of work, but it would provide a means for the player to get a fishing hut assembled if the spring thaw destroyed all of the initial ones. Also, adding boards and nails to the game might allow for other cool possibilities like repairing that hole in the mountaineer's cabin on TWM or maybe even constructing cupboards, shelves and other furniture for additional storage space.

Sadly what you're describing is backbreaking work, requires specialized wood working tools, and a lot of knowledge in order to pull off. Not to mention that scavenged lumber (e.g. siding from a house) would doubtless be easier to get and likely of higher quality. Remember, wood has to dry - usually for several months - before it can be used. Otherwise the boards will shrink and warp leaving gaps in your structure.

Lastly, if the huts sank and none were rescued, the easiest fix is to either do nothing and fish using tip ups or similar equipment (so you can fish without needing to be above the hole) or to use a tent, fabric hunting blind or even a mound of snow as a shelter/windbreak in order to fish. I've been ice fishing for close to (if not more than) twenty years and I can honestly say I've never set foot inside an ice fishing hut. I've wanted to for a while - they're luxurious compared to standing on the ice! - but you don't need them to ice fish successfully. :winky:

Well, all that certainly is true, but let's not forget that the player is already capable of forging tools and making a bow and arrows, which I suspect also are backbreaking work, require specialized tools and a lot of knowledge in order to pull off. :winky:

On the other hand, if there was something like this I imagine it'd take a while, but I think it'd be fun to have long range projects to work on.

In any case, I suspect that there might be more uses for wood in the future because I recall seeing a full axe (as opposed to a hatchet) included on the roadmap. 

• 3 months later...
On 25-11-2016 at 1:29 PM, ThePrivateer said:

Yep. Some guys just fish through the ice with no shelter at all.  Other shelters are light aluminum and canvas and can be folded up clam shell style..  Then there's the shacks.

The shacks never stay out for the thaw, obviously.

They also never have big cast iron stoves in them.  We actually heat them with Coleman Lanterns, exactly like the ones in The Long Dark.  It could be -10c outside but you get 3 dudes in a fishin' shack with 2 coleman lanterns and within 15 minutes you are fishin' in a t-shirt and opening the door to cool off.  Of course we always have a thermos of hot beverage as well.  Tea, coffee, mulled wine or hot rum drink.  It's great! :)

That picture is taken just down river from my cottage.  A good example of ice fishing in our area. :)

Ice-fishing-Nyanza-Bay-Bras-dOr-Lake.jpg

Thanks for explaining and showing us this @ThePrivateer! Do you have photos from the kinds of fish you catch too? Are they they the same as in the Long Dark?

Here in the Netherlands is not much ice fishing going on either so it's nice to see real Canadian ice fishing... :)

Would trades places with you in a heartbeat... Look at that view!

Archived