List of respawnable items

yoli

Hi, is there a list of items that respawn in the world? I know stick do respawn, probably animals too, but this doesn't seem enough to survive long term. Do the mushrooms respawn, stems? About tools, what happens when no more whetstone? I would like to know about the minimal conditions, where all the no-respawn items are gone, what are we left with to survive? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @yoli ^_^

At the moment the guaranteed spawns are sticks, branches, limbs, and animals. With the new beach combing mechanic scrap metal and other goodies can occasionally be collected from the ocean.

This small list is very deceptive though. On the lower difficulties it is possible to survive for over 900+ days and even on the higher difficulties it's normally boredom that makes people restart, not a lack of resources. Remember, with this list you can collect food (via trapping), firewood (limbs and sticks), and light fires (via a magnifying glass) indefinitely.

Thanks @cekivi. Indeed very few items do respawn. I can understand this is due to a wish the make the game realistic, on the other hand, is this realistic to have reshi or lichen grow on about 10 trees inside a whole map? They probably did not want to have too many of these spots not the make the game too easy, but this is sacrifying realism. To compensate, it would make sense to have respawn of these items that have been made too scarce for gameplay reasons.

What about tools if they break? If all the whetstones have been used (which happen quickly at the rate they degrade), how can we sharpen the hatchet or knife, don't they become unusable after a while? I didn't see ways to create new tools with the workbench, why can't we create a hatchet or a knife from wood and scrap metal?

@yoli If you get a Heavy Hammer (and a tool set I think) you can go to Desolation Point and use the forge. You can craft an improvised knife and an improvised hatchet. You can also craft arrow heads to create your own arrows. You're right though, eventually there isn't enough to survive, but that will take a VERY long time. As of what re spawns? Nothing really *I think*. Animals respawn of course but none of the rose hips, mushrooms, lichen or other items respawn and neither do the other manufactured items. What does respawn besides animals? Wood. Sticks, branches, limbs... I don't know how well this would work but, if you plan to live long term try not to use up all your accelerant, whetstones, so on... Don't use all you resources in only days. Proportion them I guess is what I'm trying to say.

On 11/24/2016 at 7:14 AM, HazardousHowitzer said:

If you get a Heavy Hammer (and a tool set I think) you can go to Desolation Point and use the forge. You can craft an improvised knife and an improvised hatchet. You can also craft arrow heads to create your own arrows.

Awesome, I didn't know about this ability to create toolsn thanks! Never saw a hammer till then though, it must be well hidden!

I think the team should add respawn for mushrooms and lichen, because they are too scarce today compared to the size of the maps.

1 hour ago, yoli said:

Awesome, I didn't know about this ability to create toolsn thanks! Never saw a hammer till then though, it must be well hidden!

I think the team should add respawn for mushrooms and lichen, because they are too scarce today compared to the size of the maps.

If memory serves there's at least one guaranteed spawn location for the heavy hammer.

Archived