Candles!

Synagoga_Satanae

Hello survivors,

I'm sure it has been posted many times before in the past but could we have some candles please? :insanity_fluffy:

The main benefit of candles would be a dim light source that can last a few hours. It would be practical for crafting after sunset because of how quickly a kerosene lantern burns out. 

I think it would also be a good idea if it created a small amount of heat. Great for a cold night stuck in a car.

Finally, maybe we could find various candles of various sizes that burn for a different amount of time. Beeswax candles would be the best candles :P

Folks all over have suggested candles, especially prior to the Vigilant Trespass update which introduced the concept of getting lantern oil from cooking fish. Some have mentioned using fat from the bears for candle making. However, in my experience, candles don't create much heat in the sense of heating a room. If you're very close, sure, such as using a candle to cook with, but take a few steps away and they won't do much IRL.

• 1 month later...

I like this idea a lot! The 'being able to craft at night" aspect is the thing that im most intrigued with, and you could make very large candles for different amounts of fat/wax that last different lengths of time, if you have many you can create a substantial amount of heat and having one on hand would be nice to slightly warm the air around you!   

Along with that, there comes the idea of restoring power, which could allow the opening of car hoods and having a visibly different battery, (Look at it, it's like in the old cartoons, where if you look closely, you can kinda see what will move. But on topic, candles would be lovely.

10 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

Anyone gunna raise the point that a candle needs matches? Given they way they spawn in the harder difficulties, who would waste a match to only create light, but no heat?

That's part of what would make candles such a good addition. Do I waste a match to light a candle right now, or wait until morning? Do I use a match for only light (but no heat)? Should I light a fire first and then light the candle in the fire, or the other way around? You could light candles with torches and brands from fires. And use lit candles to light fires. Candles are sources of light and they're flame preservers that use no firewood. Any tool that gives me choices and makes me weigh out options is a good one.

Archived