Deer shaking off arrow?

silversun

I hit a deer with an arrow. Deer started running around like it ussually does and I was planning to harvest it's corpse the next day as I ussually do. Next day I see the deer having a good day grazing and stuff and my arrow somewhere in the area on the ground. Can deer shake off arrows?

If the hit was not fatal (you did not follow to ensure fatality) then it is possible that it will survive.  As for the arrow, I believe hinterland has implemented a new mechanic that drops the arrow so that arrows no longer end up buried under slain animals.  So either way, your arrow will now often appear next to even a slain animal.  I am open to correction, but this is what I have seen of late.

18 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Also, you get more meat the less time between death and harvest so you may want to not wait until the next day but rather two hours.

Maybe this was once true - I don't know - but I just brought down a deer with an arrow and checked the carcass. There was 9.5kg of meat. Came back the next day and there was still 9.5kg.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Maybe this was once true - I don't know - but I just brought down a deer with an arrow and checked the carcass. There was 9.5kg of meat. Came back the next day and there was still 9.5kg.

Huh, thanks for the confirmation. I couldve sworn it went down as I was watching it a couple of times. Anyways, thanks, maybe they should add something like that to simulate other animals eating it though.

There is also option that that wasnt the same deer.

There is something wrong with either hit detection or animal health. My last death: i hit bear 3 times in the head, with him ignoring first 2 hits(i was shooting from about 30 meters, so its kinda hard to miss that massive black ball), then he mauled me. Then i bandaged up and intended to finish off that *illegible*, no matter how many bullets it would take. And after bear took two more headshots he just finished me off. 5 friggin headshots from rifle and then its still not dead.

4 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

And after bear took two more headshots he just finished me off. 5 friggin headshots from rifle and then its still not dead.

My commiserations. They don't make 303's like they used to, eh?

Wolf #108 just killed me on day 167.

I feel really, really sick.

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

There is also option that that wasnt the same deer.

There is something wrong with either hit detection or animal health. My last death: i hit bear 3 times in the head, with him ignoring first 2 hits(i was shooting from about 30 meters, so its kinda hard to miss that massive black ball), then he mauled me. Then i bandaged up and intended to finish off that *illegible*, no matter how many bullets it would take. And after bear took two more headshots he just finished me off. 5 friggin headshots from rifle and then its still not dead.

Rifle shots have ~20% chance of killing a bear instantly in the head so missing in 5 seems to be on par. Still very silly though. Even with a ventilated skull the bear will take something like 3 in game hours to expire.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:55 PM, cekivi said:

Rifle shots have ~20% chance of killing a bear instantly in the head so missing in 5 seems to be on par. Still very silly though. Even with a ventilated skull the bear will take something like 3 in game hours to expire.

Hmm, i kinda thought that with enough direct damage done(i remember it was like 3 headshots to kill it) i dont have to wait for it to bleed out of rely on luck. Every day something new.

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Hmm, i kinda thought that with enough direct damage done(i remember it was like 3 headshots to kill it) i dont have to wait for it to bleed out of rely on luck. Every day something new.

I thought that too until I was mauled and got some clarification from other hunters on the wiki. I still think the whole "headshots = instant kill" is super gamey as this rarely (if ever) happens in real life

Archived