More types of skill books

Mortan1234

So i was playing on stalker with some self imposed rules to keep it interesting (no rifle, no wolf coat, and no fire-striker). with that said getting archery is still slower that getting shooting up due to the books that i find and research. i was wondering if we could have skill books for every type of skill.... or at least the skills that appear in the journal. as far as i know there are skill books for fishing, shooting, fire starting, cooking and skinning but none for mending or archery. realistically there are many books concerning archery but also there are a ton of books about sewing/crafting. obviously dont name the book "Hobby Lobby" for copywrite reasons, but creating a book for all of our survival skills would be nice.

24 minutes ago, SzalonyNiemiec said:

Great Idea! you could name the book for all the skills "Survival guide"

really i was just wanting a book for each skill as 2 of them currently dont have book to help the early stages (archery and mending), but a "jack of all trades" book that gave all skills a bonus by 1 experience point would also be cool as well.

For a real-life example of such a book check out Pope, Saxton (1925) Hunting with the Bow and Arrow. As for books on mending, literally every bookstore I ever visited in my life (and trust me, that's a lot of bookstores compared to my quarter century of existence in this mortal plane) had at least one entire shelf for those.

So, in conclusion, yes, good idea.

At present you receive one archery skill point for every wildlife bow hit and one for every arrow crafted.

In my current Interloper game I crafted a bow on day 13 and reached level 5 archery skill on day 87.

How fast exactly do you want to reach level 5? Because once you do, some of the interest is lost.

If there are going to be archery skill books then it would be necessary not to receive skill points for crafting arrows. And provided the books are very rare, this might not be a bad thing - although I would prefer it if skill points were only received for bow hits. For me, archery has become the easiest skill to reach level 5 and I now reach it a few days before level 5 carcass harvesting. I really think it needs to be harder and certainly not any easier.

I hate reaching level 5 in anything - in some ways it makes me feel like starting a new game right then and there.

For that reason, in my opinion, a "jack of all trades" book would be a bad idea.

wait we receive skill points for missing and for crafting arrows? if so that is extremely broken and easily exploitable. i usually just craft 5 arrows in order to conserve weight but if making arrows increases skill then i guess i should just go ahead and make like 100 arrows and shoot them into the ground. maybe the skills need to be overhauled and rebalanced. meanwhile im going to try out interloper mode.

6 hours ago, Mortan1234 said:

i usually just craft 5 arrows in order to conserve weight but if making arrows increases skill then i guess i should just go ahead and make like 100 arrows and shoot them into the ground.

Also how many arrows you can make depends on how many birch saplings and (especially) crow feathers you find. When you break an arrow you will lose one crow feather and if you stay in the one place it can be easy to start to run out of feathers pretty quickly. It helps if you leave as many deer carcasses as possible untouched in the initial part of Interloper. And as often as possible check the status of your arrows. If you see one with integrity of around 20% or lower, harvest it to recover all three crow feathers (and the arrowhead of course). If however, your plan involves constant movement then it will be unlikely that you will be troubled by a lack of feathers.

Note that making arrows requires considerable crafting time and it is here that everyone's favorite - cabin fever - will step in and prevent you from making too many arrows.

As for the coveted Survival Guide, how about something like the Junior Scouts handbook, or, if we're going for grittiness, an army survival handbook? There's a bit of everything in there, but nothing is explored to full detail. More of a "try not to die 'til we find you' and less of a 'This is your life now. Here's how you deal with it. Deal with it!'

• 1 month later...

Archived