Possible Gameplay issue that locks you out of the summit on Timberwolf map?

Tobtoh

30 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I don't know if this issue has been fixed (I've been hanging out in the Forlorn Muskeg). Perhaps @Patrick Carlson or @Mel Guille have been on Timberwolf Mountain recently?

You can usually find me on the mountain. :)

I just gave it a try and the rope still deploys into the ledge and I still can't get back to it once I have left the ledge.

I agree with you cekivi, but feel also that not all bugs are equal. This one in particular; there are 3 access points to advance to the summit in TWM, with one pre-existing rope for an initial ascent. If one moves said rope to the currently discussed 'buggy' location and fully descends, one is indeed locked out of the summit completely without recourse and what with the summit being such an attraction, this is no small matter.

Now, barring injury or other game-saving event occurring prior to the rope descent, one can reload the game and simply not move the rope. This action however doesn't address the problem. If one does descend and plays on for a time then returns to find they cannot ascend, then it is potentially more serious. A frustrated player is never a good thing, particularly when that frustration is due to a bug.

There is an argument that could ask why move the rope? Doing so offers no tangible advantage in a summit run unlike say, moving the rope to the other access point towards Eric's Falls, which would offer not only a real shortcut to the summit but arguably also a generally safer path. While the moving of the rope may not be the most rational decision strategy-wise, the fact that it can be done is the real point.

Again, I am with you in a general sense; a glitchy rock in an obscure location is not so pressing, but I don't believe this situation is of that nature.

I didn't fall victim to this myself, but for a wholly different reason. After the descent, I realized that I was still high enough off the ground to risk a sprain making the final few steps down and thus ascended again, quickly forgetting about the 'glitch'. Perhaps I thought it was another risk/reward situation; I didn't know then that replacing the rope offered no strategic advantage. So, the bug never bit but only because I was very familiar with other game mechanics - the injury system - and was saved by caution. Newer players, or more cavalier players, may not be so fearful. :)

2 hours ago, Carbon said:

There is an argument that could ask why move the rope? Doing so offers no tangible advantage in a summit run unlike say, moving the rope to the other access point towards Eric's Falls, which would offer not only a real shortcut to the summit but arguably also a generally safer path. While the moving of the rope may not be the most rational decision strategy-wise, the fact that it can be done is the real point.

Moving the rope offers a shorter path with a shelter/rest area on the way. When I was spending a lot of time on Timberwolf Mountain I would always move the rope so I could sleep at the bottom where there's a slight warmth and wind bonus and then immediately start climbing.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Moving the rope offers a shorter path with a shelter/rest area on the way. When I was spending a lot of time on Timberwolf Mountain I would always move the rope so I could sleep at the bottom where there's a slight warmth and wind bonus and then immediately start climbing.

There is nowhere to sleep on the small shelf the rope leaves you on, so you must have come down from there, an action which then must removed the hope of re-climbing that rope which would be again, somewhat annoying.

The quote and the following reply are quite off-topic (my point was the urgency of correcting this bug)...apologies for my part.

While I have no method of accurately measuring distances in-game, there is a cave after the fallen log (following the right) which provides shelter (I have never had a wolf enter that cave) and seems to me to be almost equidistant from Deer Clearing. Which then leads me back to my original assertion of little strategic benefit to moving the rope, if indeed one's goal is the summit. Subsequent returns to Deer Clearing? It may be a marginally shorter distance and even perhaps safer to approach from that side, but AFAIK, the benefit isn't enough to make moving the rope an imperative. In fact, there are 3 locations which I would call needless regarding the need to hang ropes on TWM: one being in the area currently discussed, the other being the location directly in front of the summit rope and the third being the location just after passing the engine to the right of the ridge overlooking the Mountaineer's Hut. I see no benefit to hanging ropes in these locations, unlike the obvious benefits of getting to the summit via the Eric's Falls area. I saw this as a 'reward' for having achieved the summit once; one could hang a rope in said area and acquire a much safer and more direct route back for looting.

@Carbon: Yes, I was climbing before the update that changed the rock's location.

For my preferred route up the mountain - while perhaps not optimal - I always preferred moving the rope as I found it provided an easier, faster ascent. One of the reasons I've been avoiding the mountain is the fact that my preferred route is now off limits.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone , this will be my first post on the forum B|

i decided to bump this thread because i'm in the exact same situation , i moved the rope from B to A and i just can't access the top of the mountain at the moment .

i wasn't aware of this issue at all and this is the first time i'm encountering a major glitch like that , to be precise i'm curently doing a 50 days stalker run and i've never been to the top of Timberwolf before i'm stuck in the area down below and i just don't wanna go back . This issue has been reported 6 months ago and nothing has been done so far ... i know Hinterland has propably other priorities like working on the story mode but i can't keep playing the game without this issue fixed , this isn't serious at all .

i really hope they do something about this quickly .

Seb

I've noticed this issue too, for whatever reason there is a big rock in the way of where the rope should end. I think it miiiiight be possible to get back to that rope if you scale as far up to the right of the path as possible, then walk along the sheer cliff face towards the rope

Archived