Crafted Clothing repair success chance not accurate

greggbert

Hi, I'm having a problem with the repair success chance not being accurate when repairing items with deerskin.  I have tested and will get 4 or 5 failures in a row, after the game says that I have a 70% repair chance.  Is there something else that goes into your repair chance other than that number that you get?  Like if you're tired or your fish hook is almost burned out?  Because I had one game I reloaded three times and got 4 failures on a 75% chance of success.

I've worked with random numbers before and and understand that humans percieve chance differently than it is, but even on a spreadsheet my 75% repair chance is more like 30% in actuality.

If I'm wrong and just had incredibly bad luck, may I suggest you put a "fix" in to reduce user frustration.  Some games will guarantee that the 3rd attempt will always work if you have a greater than 65% chance of something and it fails twice.  I think it was soren johnson who came up with this idea.  Yes it's "cheating" but it might calm a lot of frayed nerves.

for deerskin I hardly bother to repair until my skill is nearly a guarantee. I just make new boots and pants assuming I have the deerskin to do so of course.

My reasoning is that failing as many times as you are would mean I could have made new ones with the same amount of materials. Given that in some areas killing harvesting and curing that many animals can be a challenge I try not to waste it.

Hopefully we will soon get more items like rabbit hats, rabbit slippers, wolf pants, bear coats, deer gloves, etc so we have alternatives and choices each with their own bonuses.

This annoys me now as well, I've wasted lord knows how much cloth and time repairing gear.  When I hear that thud meaning failure for the 3rd time, I generally turn the air blue, especially when it is a bit of kit that I desperately need. Even if the repair was a failure, surely the cloth or leather would be salvageable, if not the sewing kit.

I've  had very limited testing with repairing clothes. The trick seems to be to only do it with adequate light, no fatigue and sufficient calories. I believe those things affect the repair success calculation. I suspect there may be a skill factor too so I repair using cloth before using precious and limited leather. Haven't gone far enough to bother repairing with hides in recent play so I can't comment. There is loads of cloth available so just practice until the skill builds up and it seems to work fairly reliably. I don't think the game documents everything. A certain amount of skill or knowledge has to be gained from common sense and experience. That's my theory and until we can test more rigorously, it's difficult to say. Do we really want to explain everything in detail or should the game remain mysterious in some ways? From the old QA perspective, one always wishes to have well defined specifications however from the game interest perspective, a certain degree of mystery can be desirable. I defer of course to Raphael and developers...

Archived