Extended Storms and preparations to endure them. [poll]

SteveP

Long term options for bad weather and game scarcity  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not against any solution that doesn't take away control from us. 

If the effects are just making the controls feel weird (like when you are about to die), I like it. The dislexic thing with left and right is a cool mind game as well. The visual disorentation, the hallucinations... all those feel perfectly in tone with the game. 

The only thing I wouldn't like is a black-out, the character doing random things, waking up in a different place, things like that.

4 hours ago, SteveP said:

Currently, you get cabin fever if you spend too long crafting and forging stuff. That don't seem right!

That is one of the primary problems with Cabin Fever :winky:

Your list of symptoms don't indicate insanity but are all excellent arguments for Cabin Fever increasing crafting times (inability to concentrate/lack of patience), longer times to move/perform actions (lethargy/feeling tired), and inability to regain condition (sleep disturbance/depression). I wouldn't advocate for any control changes as that would not be consistent with these symptoms. I would instead prefer cabin fever to simply prevent the character from regaining condition. Or, if severity of miladies are ever implemented than perhaps the following:

• Mild Cabin Fever: Condition recovery reduced by half, crafting/mending times increased by 25%
  • Moderate Cabin Fever: Condition recover reduced by 75%, crafting/mending time increased by 50%, all other task times (e.g. reading) increased by 25%
  • Severe Cabin Fever: No condition recovery, crafting time doubled, reading/mending no longer possible (can't concentrate), all other times increased by 50%

• 1 month later...

I always thought cabin fever is something you get by being idle. Right now, you can just go to a snow shelter or cave to cure it (which it would only aggravate in real life) whereas when you keep busy by crafting, you should not be afflicted by cabin insanity. You are keeping the mind occupied.

Insanity! I love this idea! Players loosing control of their avatar? Hmmm. Certainly a big motivation to avoid the hibernation exploit. Now if only one could add a penalty for the starvation exploit, the only thing that makes it possible currently to survive Interloper. Malnutrition?

Auditory and visual hallucinations would be awesome, like thinking there's a pack of wolves after you! Or even waking up to a 'bear attack', but then *actually* waking up and realising it was a nightmare/hallucination!

Another possible option would be to make it that your bars (hunger, thirst etc.) become less accurate, to reflect loss of motivation/depressive symptoms. So you could unexpectedly become dehydrated due to not having the same drive to go out and get water etc. But maybe this would be overcomplicating things.

On 07/01/2017 at 6:59 AM, SteveP said:

I always thought cabin fever is something you get by being idle. Right now, you can just go to a snow shelter or cave to cure it (which it would only aggravate in real life) whereas when you keep busy by crafting, you should not be afflicted by cabin insanity. You are keeping the mind occupied.

Insanity! I love this idea! Players loosing control of their avatar? Hmmm. Certainly a big motivation to avoid the hibernation exploit. Now if only one could add a penalty for the starvation exploit, the only thing that makes it possible currently to survive Interloper. Malnutrition?

It is 100% possible to survive on Interloper with absolutely zero starvation (which is why I advocate for negative calories).

Archived