Harvesting Fish [poll]

SteveP

Fish scaling  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do y'all think of adding fishing cleaning as an activity? getting guts out of a big fish takes me about 2-5 min each. Scaling the fish takes what, 10-20 minutes? But then I don't eat the skin on big fish anyhow so most of the time, what's the point? Advantage is, the skin is rich in fat and calories and Pops used to do it for jackfish, perch and whitefish.

Bait yes, however, what do you keep it in? we do not have portable containers, so you would have to keep it in something. Plus, since wolves do not go into huts, that could/should change if you are storing food in there....or maybe you attract more of them to patrol around your hut?

2 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

Bait yes, however, what do you keep it in? we do not have portable containers, so you would have to keep it in something. Plus, since wolves do not go into huts, that could/should change if you are storing food in there....or maybe you attract more of them to patrol around your hut?

If you are smart, you leave the frozen bait in the fishing hut drawer. If you are not wary, you may find wolves seem to stalk you more often; smell is a powerful attractant and no one seems to consider it based on the game play I have seen. It's certainly something I would consider and who is testing it? IIRC it was said that smell is very important. We know for example that raw meat definitely seems to attract wolves and the bear, as it should.

Bears and wolves rely heavily on sense of smell. They are also opportunistic scavengers. Wolf packs actively hunt but their kills will be contaminated with rabies. Just handling the carcass carries severe dangers. Yet we do it routinely in the game.

I suppose if you don't want wolves skulking around your fishing hut, you dump the remainder of your bait down the hole when you are done. This would encourage players to think outside the box! To eliminate it, you stand over the hole and drop the item. Drop the wrong item and bye bye!

@cekivi in order to use empty cans and bottles as bait holders, we need to add empty cans and bottles.

Also, we should at least add some sort of fishing rod if we are going to add bait, it shouldn't be required. You can fish with just a hook and a line. most arctic fish will bite at anything that moves over a long enough period. But bait should make bites more frequent and a fishing rod should make it so you don't snap your line as often.

Maybe I lack creativity or have a wrong imagination about fishing rods, but the ones I know are usually between 3-4.5m in length. Not sure how one could sit inside a 2m fishing hut and use them. :silly:

As for gutting fish: It would only make sense gameplay-wise if bait was mandatory, imo. Otherwise it's just a rather annoying micro-management - more clicks you need to do for the same effect as now. The same applies to scaling - if fish scales don't have any use in the game, scaling fish is pretty much a waste of time imo. (Especially as you don't need to eat the skin anyway).

These ideas might be worth considering in the very long run years from now, but currently I for one would rather like to see the Devs strictly focus on the release of Story mode or their other roadmap features (moose, cougars, improved cooking and whatnotelse) than on minor micromanagement changes how you handle the fish you caught.

"Yes" "Meh" "Yes" was my vote, and I will explain why: Gutting fish is important, because it also shows you if the fish has parasites (which could be a bit of a debuff to the extremely powerful fishing mechanic right now if we could only use every third fish or so). As for scaling.... yeah, it would make sense but I'd just add that to the gutting process. Unless we find something we can do with scales, meh. Yes on the fish broth for obvious reasons.

@Scyzara rods for ice fishing are very very short. It's true that for "traditional" inland-fishing you'd use a rod between 1.5-5m depending on what fish you want, how strong the current his, how heavy your bait and weight is etc. but for ice fishing a very short rod is used, so the size of the huts is of no concern here. Actually, @cekivi seem to be very knowledgeable about ice fishing, so maybe he can clear up anything that I got wrong or left unclear ;)

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎05 at 5:47 AM, Wastelander said:

@Scyzara rods for ice fishing are very very short. It's true that for "traditional" inland-fishing you'd use a rod between 1.5-5m depending on what fish you want, how strong the current his, how heavy your bait and weight is etc. but for ice fishing a very short rod is used, so the size of the huts is of no concern here. Actually, @cekivi seem to be very knowledgeable about ice fishing, so maybe he can clear up anything that I got wrong or left unclear ;)

I do enjoy ice fishing :winky:

Ice fishing rods are usually very short - 0.5 m at most. There are several different styles but the ones I have are very simplistic. Basically a plastic rod with a flexible tip and a reel. Nothing fancy. Unlike open water fishing you're perched above your prey when ice fishing so most of the reasons for needing a longer rod become irrelevant. You don't really need a rod at all since you can be very successful with stationary lines. Rods are only really required to make jigging easier and more effective.

• 2 months later...

So far no scaling of fish in the game however now we get fish oil when cooking it! Good sensible compromises.

I fish extensively in the real world. Cleaning fish is just part of what you do. You know, some people would probably prefer to die of starvation rather than to eat a raw fish!? Weird!

Archived