4 Days of Night Community Survey

Admin

I really wish I had time to play during this event. I didn't know much about it, and it sounded SUPER fun. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and to theme the game with the holiday sounded spectacular. I never had a chance to log on, however, and I'm really, really crestfallen that I never had an opportunity to experience it. For that reason, I would love events that aren't focused around holidays, as I am often busy with friends or family around that time. 

11 minutes ago, Wozing said:

I really wish I had time to play during this event. I didn't know much about it, and it sounded SUPER fun. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and to theme the game with the holiday sounded spectacular. I never had a chance to log on, however, and I'm really, really crestfallen that I never had an opportunity to experience it. For that reason, I would love events that aren't focused around holidays, as I am often busy with friends or family around that time. 

Hey Wozing, welcome! Yes, even if you didn't get a chance to play it, you can still share your thoughts with us in the survey, if you want to. There are some questions in there where you could add this perspective and have it included in the results we see. (We note your post here, too, of course!):coffee:

Just a chance to opt out, and to those players that are busy around this time period, make the event end after you sink a certain number of hours into the game rather than 4 days. 

I really enjoyed the ideas that this game mode presented to me, and I love hording pre-Event food. It was somewhat dark outside, and I couldn't see very far in most weathers, so a flashlight that could only be used in events like this that spawns in the player's inventory would have helped, even if it had a limited battery life. I stumbled into many wolves and ended up doing a lot of repairs and harvesting rather than trick or treating.

Here is what I posted to answer the last question (what did you dislike about the event):

I feel like it was a distraction for the development team. New content is coming out slowly as it is, and story mode has been delayed how many times now? Why not focus on getting the game finished and released? You can always experiment with events like this post-release.

Hinterlands

I absolutely adored the "4 Days of Night" Halloween event! The extenuating poor conditions of the environment brought immersion to a whole new level. The constant darkness made way for a almost horror movie feel that caused me to play as if I were fearing for my OWN life. There is always a great hesitation to venture out at night seeing as how the tempature drops so significantly, the 4 Days of Night forced me to get out of my comfort zone and venture into the Dark. My conclusion is that the 4 Days of Night made me a much better and more adventurous explorer of the Long Dark. Great work guys!

-dave

As I play mostly in Voyager, it wasn't too bad at all. I did appreciate that the fine folks at Hinterland fixed the tree flashing issue on Xbox with the update. (That's got to be a record. In my experience, the games I like tend not to be patched for much more major issues until several months after release because unfortunately, there are corps in charge of it that don't give one whit and put out subpar work. And yet this game is in alpha still and fixes are handed out like candy during Halloween.)

I agree with those wishing for an opt out. I wish this had been another game mode option rather than a forced mode for all of us. I wasn't about to risk my long survival game on a (for lack of better term) gimmick event, and I didn't feel like starting over completely, so I ended up not playing at all that weekend. 

This is always a fun event that I enjoy. The "pie" was a great bonus find. This event made the interloper mode even more insane.

I liked the advertised fact of four days of night... last year I thought my game was broken because the sun never came out. It does make for a great Halloween event. The intensity of having to venture out in the dark where we normally can sleep or rest through creates an additional challenge.

It also makes it very hard to play a saved survival game, because the risks of losing all the progress are too great. This can easily be an added additional challenge like The Hunted, Nomad, etc....

I had a lot of fun with the event.

I had just entered Coastal Highway when the event started and wound up exploring the whole zone during the event. Prior to this event, I would not typically move around outdoors at night. This event forced me to do it and I was glad for it. The extended light sources and abundant candy bars made exploring very enjoyable and now in my games I'm not so hesitant to venture out at night. Unless a blizzard is raging, you can explore the outdoors after dark with decent visibility on clear nights.

I had several wolf encounters during this time. Some were intense and resulted in me hastily backing up to a fishing hut or some other shelter through dense fog while the wolf closed in or attempting to even find shelter. I got jumped by a wolf pack at the gas station and that was the most memorable experience. The perpetual darkness made things dangerous and exciting.

I found one Jack-o-Lantern with several flare shells and that was a nice surprise.

The only thing I did not like was that the candy bars from the event remained in your inventory after the event with super calories. Additionally, after the event, for any zone you had visited during the event all candy bar spawns that you did not pick up remained on the ground without the bowl. I wouldn't mind if they remained in the game if they decayed very quickly.

I did like the pumpkin pies remaining and not decaying because they made good after-event decorations for your base.

23 hours ago, cekivi said:

Out of curiosity, will the results of the survey (at least the multiple choice) be published on the forums @Patrick Carlson?

As with our previous surveys, they are intended to give us internal feedback--I don't know of any plans to share them more broadly. But I will forward the idea in any case!

Thanks cekivi! :)

2 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

As with our previous surveys, they are intended to give us internal feedback--I don't know of any plans to share them more broadly. But I will forward the idea in any case!

Thanks cekivi! :)

I thought it'd make a nice infographic on how the player community at large feels. It's been a long time since we've seen one of them :winky:

LOVED THE IDEA OF THE EVENT.  BUT TURNING THE SUN OFF WAS ABOUT THE WORST WAY YOU COULD HAVE CHANGED THE GAME.

I could not stand the darkness.  In my game I was already low on lamp oil, so doubling 3 minutes of oil to 6 minutes did not help me.  It basically sucked and I wished I could have seen more content (like the candy bowls, etc..) in the event but I could not get past how much the darkness made the game stink.  I could not wait for the event to end,  I  even tried changing the date on my PC hoping that would turn the lights back on  PS:  That did not work.

It might have saved time if you had just tell people to turn the brightness down on their monitor so you can't see anything, just kidding but you get the idea.

1 hour ago, greggbert said:

LOVED THE IDEA OF THE EVENT.  BUT TURNING THE SUN OFF WAS ABOUT THE WORST WAY YOU COULD HAVE CHANGED THE GAME.

I could not stand the darkness.  In my game I was already low on lamp oil, so doubling 3 minutes of oil to 6 minutes did not help me.  It basically sucked and I wished I could have seen more content (like the candy bowls, etc..) in the event but I could not get past how much the darkness made the game stink.  I could not wait for the event to end,  I  even tried changing the date on my PC hoping that would turn the lights back on  PS:  That did not work.

It might have saved time if you had just tell people to turn the brightness down on their monitor so you can't see anything, just kidding but you get the idea.

We hear you. As we've said, should we do another Event in the future, we'll be taking on-aboard players' feedback. 

• 2 weeks later...

This event gave me the most near death experience I have ever had, I was dying from cold and sleep in the middle of clearcut, I was huddled up against a wall for the windchill bonus and when I got to 1% I thought "this is it." so I lit a fire and slept in my bedroll so I would die in my sleep. I woke up an hour later at 2%. So I put more fuel in my fire and slept for 6 hours and woke up at 57% but was no longer dying. I ending up surviving being at 1%, should be an in game achievement.

Archived