Spamming left click just before Wolf Attacks - Any Effect?

Dugby

Does spamming the left mouse button prior to a wolf pouncing on you have any effect?

Reading through forum posts (on here and Steam) there is some discussion about doing this and there was even talk of some sort of one shot mechanic if you time the click right before the wolf pounces on you (I can't find the post again).

Does such a mechanic exist? Does clicking the left mouse button as the wolf is charging toward you before the struggle begins have any effect? Or is there no point to clicking until the struggle begins?

I've never heard or seen executed a "one shot" mechanic for wolf struggles. When struggling you're trying to fill up a bar to throw the wolf off before it mauls you too badly. The faster you click and the better your weapon (order from worst to best are fists < pry bar < hatchet < knife) the quicker you can throw off the wolf and the less likely you are to suffer injuries. If you're trying to maximize your defence, you can start clicking as soon as the wolf lunges. That way you're already clicking when the "take down" animation ends to fill your struggle bar.

Also, if you're successful and defended with a weapon you'll also wound the wolf enough to kill it. You can track the wolf down to collect its meat, pelt and guts once you've healed up.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't know...I play TLD on a laptop with a USB mouse, and what I usually do whenever I get attacked by a wolf is forget running and just hold the mouse in both hands, then spam the LMB rapidly with one hand while holding the mouse steady in the other. It tends to allow you to hit the button in quicker succession. As for a 'one-shot' type of mechanic, I don't think something like that would work...the bar only fills up when you are in the struggle itself.

I actually can attest to this working, and I found out accidentally. I heard a wolf growling behind me, turned around in time for it to rush me and started clicking as soon as it approached. I noticed my knife in my hand before the wolf was even on me, and without any struggle at all the wolf yelped and ran. I suffered no injury or damage to my clothes. I didn't track it to see if I got a kill shot in or not but at the very least it took off running without harming me. I'm sure this is a very lucky and low chance of success kind of thing, but it can happen.

Archived