mystifeid

15 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

It might be interesting to be able to choose the age of your character with various bonuses and penalties given to youth and either the reverse or different bonuses and penalties given to an aged character.

I like this idea a lot. 

Although I don't really see them implementing a choice of age, but maybe down the road they could add a couple more characters.  The characters could be of different ages and there could be advantages and disadvantages to choosing each of them.  This would add another level of strategy right from the beginning of the game!

4 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

You mean something like " teen , middle-aged , Old " ? 

That would be the minimum required to implement the idea but there is a lot that could be done.

2 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

This would add another level of strategy right from the beginning of the game!

Different characters would also have the desired effect.

The old hunting game Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2005 allowed you to do this...you had the option of an 18-y.o., 35-y.o., or 60-y.o. Each had their attributes:

18: Better stamina and resilience as opposed to the others.

35: Fairly middle of the road...accuracy tended to be better as one of this age would be well-experienced in firearms training while not having to worry about the effects of time.

60: While lacking in stamina, resilience, and other similar traits, the 60-year old had the best 'stats' in the game in terms of stealth and tracking. 

That said, the stats in the game were simply hard stats...for example, tracking just was the radius in which your player could detect tracks; resilience was how much damage would be sustained in an animal (Not necessarily a predatorial one either. Moose are evil.) etc...

In terms of age implementation id go with system already proposed at some point - professions. Each profession would/could have pros and cons that are further modified by age bracket.

Younger people tend to be more energetic, but they generally lack experience and caution. When one gets older, he starts to become less impulsive(think twice) and wiser all around. For example, among many other modifiers, younger avatars could have bonus to primary stats, as they can go on longer and more resistant to certain conditions(young body heals faster). While older avatars get bonus to efficiency of various actions(person is more grounded and critical of various ideas, plus he may have experience with something similar during his life) and resistance to different set of conditions(once you get thru some disease you develop antibodies against it, plus older you get more attention you pay to your health and visit doctors regularly). Younger person has better eyesight(possibility to magnify vision a bit), while older one is more observant(slightly better chance of finding stuff when searching). Younger person has bonus to movement speed, while older has slight bonus to tiredness and hunger.

3 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

This game has both sexes - so you are already looking at 2-4 possibly 6 different voice actors.

Conceivably you could have the same voice actor playing the same character at age 20 and age 60.

47 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

In terms of age implementation id go with system already proposed at some point - professions. Each profession would/could have pros and cons that are further modified by age bracket.

That would be fine too - and combining age with profession might be very interesting. The idea was not a buff as provided by the feats but an attribute trade-off.

I think this or something like this would be great to increase the replay value of the game. At the moment I'm tossing up whether to start yet another Interloper playthrough (and with what contrivances to increase the interest) or whether to join @Timber Wolf in Timberwolf Mountain with the bear from The Hunted.

4 hours ago, mystifeid said:

or whether to join @Timber Wolf in Timberwolf Mountain with the bear from The Hunted.

I started up a run in The Hunted with this Four Days of Night going on.  I got lost in the dark and fog trying to find the abandoned hatch by the rope to TWM.  As I heard the grunts and groans of my old friend getting closer, I realized there was no way I could ever survive in perpetual darkness with the greatest adversary in the game constantly hunting me.

Good luck @mystifeid!  It can be pretty tough at first, but you can figure him out.

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Good idea. Play as a lawyer for extra-hard mode, similar to what @cekivi mentioned above. This War Of Mine had at least one completely useless character, a primary school prinicipal if I recall correctly, and I sometimes took her in to increase the challenge. 

Archived