The Long Dark Event — 4 Days of Night!

Admin

1 minute ago, markala5 said:

... Are the devs gonna do other holidays? Christmas, Thanksgiving(TURKEY! &Devs can finally add potatoes), New Year's(which one?). But seriously, this Halloween thing is so much fuuuuuuuun! PIEEEEEEESSSSS!

Well, technically Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago for the dev team :winky:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the fact that the sun does not rise mean that the days don't advance? Because I think I'm stuck on Day 22 for quite a while now.

You can see in the screenshot that I have consumed over 13000 calories in just one day (22) and have travelled to several locations.

I was going simultaneously for 3 achievements (silent hunter, pacifist and living off the land). But if time is stuck than this is useless.

In spite of that I do love the look and feel of this event.

tld 2016-10-29 10-52-36-36.jpg

22 hours ago, floogy said:

Well, I put my main game on hold to start a 4 days of darkness game. Voyager, random spawn. I lucked into TWM. Being constant night, almost naked with only 8 matches and currently just a few meager sticks to my name, this might be the first time I die in a while. I think the only thing that kept me alive thus far is fires lasting twice as long. 

It really is a deep freeze challenge. In only starting clothes the feels like is right around -36F, it's about -7 if I can find shelter from the wind. Sprained ankle, if I stop I'm dead, but I'm moving slower now. This will likely be The Short Dark for me. 

I died. Freezing, exhausted and starving my vision slowly faded to black as I crawled desperately up a hill in a futile attempt to find shelter. I must say the side effect of constant nighttime temperatures adds the most challenge. The cold is punishing even in decent clothes. There is no waiting for morning.

My second random start (also TWM) went better. I found the hacksaw and opened a few containers. Live saving matches in one, mostly food in the others. Made it down the mountain to the mountaineer's hut. Made another outing to other plane containers, found some decent clothes that I repaired to get +22F. Even with that it's still challenging 

I'm finding the play style different from usual. Rather than sleeping through the night, I sleep for a couple hours to warm up, then go in search of more sticks to keep the fire going and scavenging runs. It's quite a bit more challenging than strolling around CH in a wolf coat, knowing that even in a blizzard, shelter isn't far away.

I think 4 days of night should be adapted into a challenge. Rather than make the entire game night for 4 days, make a Halloween challenge where it's perpetually dark. Something like travelling across the various zones to a witch's cottage to take her broom, being followed by wolves the whole way. If it's a challenge, people could opt in or out and the challenge could remain to play any time.  Make new challenges for holidays, even after the game is fully released. Reach the North Pole for Christmas? Find ingredients for Thanksgiving? It would certainly keep people engaged long after the game has left early access if there were occasional challenges added.

On 28/10/2016 at 9:15 PM, willski said:

Sorry, but I hate this... or at least the fact that it's mandatory.  Taking away player choice is ALWAYS a bad move.  Can you please make this optional?

I think the fact that it is mandatory is the best part.

Taking away player choice is making a videogame anyway :)

I'm currently trying to choose whether to just keep on trucking on my new Pilgrim game: I have a LOT of stuff. IN the Cabin, the Dam and the Camp Office. The Pilgrim one has thus for an 11 and a half day night going on lol according to my latest check on my last logout.

Or just stopping playing that now...and spend the next few days hoping for the same kind of survival luck on Voyageur?

Regardless it's been very very fun!!

And I will eventually upload a LP.

It would be very interesting for that matter to maybe wrap up my Pilgrim character tomorrow. And then do a Voyageur the remaining 2 days- and extend the LP's on both ends after the event. 

screen_3dc2ee02-9d12-46d1-8c3b-5be6177aba8a.png

Hi there,

For me, not a fan of it. Many obviously enjoy it but I just enjoy the day to day trials that existed originally. It'll be a few days wait now before I get back on. A shame really because I am on a four day break from work and my bear skins just dried out as did my deer skins and rabbit skins. :-(

It takes many hours to make the clothes with these materials. I need a decent and constant light source. :-)

It would have been nice if these 'events' were optional.

Thank you for a fantastic game. Can't wait to get back into it once the night passes.

On 29/10/2016 at 9:56 AM, rowger said:

Does the fact that the sun does not rise mean that the days don't advance? Because I think I'm stuck on Day 22 for quite a while now.

Yes, it was for me.

I've also noticed bugs inside shelter where you could read "?? daylight left". I didn't find the pie yet and I've not understood the difference with the wolves! All the candy stuff is amazing ^^

2 hours ago, -Silo- said:

Hi there,

For me, not a fan of it. Many obviously enjoy it but I just enjoy the day to day trials that existed originally. It'll be a few days wait now before I get back on. A shame really because I am on a four day break from work and my bear skins just dried out as did my deer skins and rabbit skins. :-(

It takes many hours to make the clothes with these materials. I need a decent and constant light source. :-)

It would have been nice if these 'events' were optional.

Thank you for a fantastic game. Can't wait to get back into it once the night passes.

Try to change the date on your computer,  disconnect from Internet and start the game. 

I'm loving this one. I've done some night-hikes in TLD before, but always in clear nights and with the situation somewhat under control. Moving out in a foggy night, or getting caught in a blizzard at night is freaking terribly... fun :). I'm also experimenting the game in a way I hadn't done before. Kudos for the idea, Hinterland Team!

14 hours ago, floogy said:

I think 4 days of night should be adapted into a challenge. Rather than make the entire game night for 4 days, make a Halloween challenge where it's perpetually dark. Something like travelling across the various zones to a witch's cottage to take her broom, being followed by wolves the whole way. If it's a challenge, people could opt in or out and the challenge could remain to play any time.  Make new challenges for holidays, even after the game is fully released. Reach the North Pole for Christmas? Find ingredients for Thanksgiving? It would certainly keep people engaged long after the game has left early access if there were occasional challenges added.

I'd go as far as to ask for the challenge to be part of sandboxes. I'd love to face the killer bear, or the super storm, or receiving a mini-quest to send a signal from the lighthouse... or suddenly face 4 days of perpetual dark.

The perfect sandbox (for me) would have events popping in to the player from time to time, breaking the routines and forcing to adapt to a new situation. 

I'm really disappointed by this event. I work really hard all week and was looking forward to playing my previous save today. Now I have to wait til this event is over. I was looking forward to just continuing my save for 7 days. Things like this need to be optional. 

1 hour ago, seirensong said:

I'm really disappointed by this event. I work really hard all week and was looking forward to playing my previous save today. Now I have to wait til this event is over. I was looking forward to just continuing my save for 7 days. Things like this need to be optional. 

Accessing the game without opening steam is extremmely easy! I've not tried the month trick but for the future skipping the update will surelly work.

I've been enjoying it.  It's different and puts a new aspect on the survival.  This Fimbulwinter is hard.  Very hard.

I've mostly played on Voyageur difficulty before.  I thought to whack this up to Stalker and give it a go.  Started in a cave/overhang, two wolves right outside.  Distracted by bunnies I managed to get away.  Died a short time later due to strolling around in a sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers.  That's fair, stupid apparel for a frozen night-time jaunt after all.  That's only one of many.

I find the increased loot in Voyageur a tad off-putting after experiencing Stalker, but even so, V is still hard enough in this game mode.  And like others have said, it's not the wolves or bears as much, it's the cold.

Even though I've not made it past 3 days, it's still pretty fun.  Would like a Challenge of this added.

Edit: I finally got to a jacko lantern :D  That was cool.  F'n intense though, it was awesome!!  The only other one I found was a nice welcoming glow in a semi-distance.  It was more like a siren of nautic origin though.  Started running towards it, a man half-frozen, arms outstretched, a huge grin of hopefulness....

...only to be tackled by two red-eyed dread-wolves.  It was pretty funny.

My only feedback about this challenge is it would be nice if the outdoor temperatures were slightly tweaked.  Even in my game with full animal skins, I can barely field dress a carcass before succumbing to the cold.  The darkness itself is a fun extra challenge in my opinon, harder to see predators and harder to find things.

I would definitely be in favor of adding this mode, as is, as a challenge after halloween though - it's definitely rough, especially in the beginning

I just wanted to say to Hinterland this has been really great!

For some reason it has actually encouraged me to be bolder and more thorough in my game-play and exploration!

I've just about equally balanced my Pilgrim and Voyageur characters in play length time and once the event is over it will be fascinating to share and watch both to see how I changed and adapted my play style.

I also would like to add that I certainly would not frown upon a Perpetual Darkness or some kind of implementation of a Darkness Challenge in the future. During this event I have passed the 100 hour mark of playing TLD and I applaud you for not only the 4 Days of Night event but for the entirety of The Long Dark.

This experience truly stands alone as THE finest and to be frank ONLY game of its kind and I can't wait for what the future holds. Bravo!

Now to do real life stuff...and then get back to my Voyageur 4DoN to really even up the cumulative time spent.

10 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

i'd like to add to this, that i've been playing since this event started and i've yet to see a jackolantern, candy dish or pumpkin pie

however, i am playing on the Nomad challenge. do these spawns still show on nomad? or, am i just very unlucky?

I was playing the Hunted Pt 2 challenge when I encountered a jackolantern in the wild. I also got some of the 2,500 calorie chocolate bars, but did not encounter pie or candy dish. In general, I think the spawns are possible in the challenges while still being rare.

First of all, I like the game very much.

When I first learned  about four days of night, i tought i would be funny for the people who like Halloween.

I personally have no interest in it, so when I learned that is was a mandatory option, i was not pleased at all.

So it means I have to wait till this "event" is over and i can continue my saved game.

Hope that the devs understand that not everyone is happy with this mandatory fun feature.

2 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

i'd like to add to this, that i've been playing since this event started and i've yet to see a jackolantern, candy dish or pumpkin pie

however, i am playing on the Nomad challenge. do these spawns still show on nomad? or, am i just very unlucky?

Hey Tbone - I decided to play Interloper. So far I've found 2 pies, 3 candy bars, and no jack-o-lanterns. My friend who plays voyager has already found 2 jack-o-lanterns and numerous goodies so I suspect difficult level has something to do with the spawn rate.

Also, welcome to the forums @lone wanderer ^_^

Archived