The Long Dark Event — 4 Days of Night!

Admin

2 minutes ago, Gustaaf said:

I wish I could opt out, I just want to play regular.

If you have a way to restore the game files (like CrashPlan or Windows restore) then you could play the regular version.

After restoring, run the program directly from the game folder \Steam\steamapps\common\The Dark Dark\ instead of through Steam.

If you want to have a choice, make a copy of the game folder before opening Steam and letting the game update.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Scyzara said:

A funny side effect of this event (and its high calorie food) is that Interloper becomes way easier than normally during the first few weeks. :silly:

But well, I definitely still like the theme and all those nice new item models are really lovely and add a lot to the atmosphere.

Hidden Content

Scyzara, of course for four days of perpetual darkness, you would pick Interloper Mode. ;) No sun, no problem. We have candy bars!

This seems like a lot of fun... if I had a choice in the matter. As it is, if I don't feel like having this particular game experience at the moment, it renders my entire game unplayable for four days, and I don't particularly want a game which boots me out of it for half a week, nothing I can do about it.

I think the idea is neat, and I'm excited to see what sorts of other scenarios and such come up for other events. Like others, I just wish I could choose whether or not to participate, and that it didn't override the settings on my existing games without asking me first.  (Having the ability to play through these community-wide events in established sandboxes? Awesome. Not having the ability to choose not to? Guess I'm out of here until November.)

1 minute ago, Blinkin said:

I didn't expect to see this event arrive on GOG at the same time as Steam. That's very nice! :D

So that means I'm going to try and play this event. :D

Yep, GoG as well! We'd hope players see it as a shared bit of fun, as much as possible. (Even as we know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, so to speak) :coffee:

Well, I put my main game on hold to start a 4 days of darkness game. Voyager, random spawn. I lucked into TWM. Being constant night, almost naked with only 8 matches and currently just a few meager sticks to my name, this might be the first time I die in a while. I think the only thing that kept me alive thus far is fires lasting twice as long. 

It really is a deep freeze challenge. In only starting clothes the feels like is right around -36F, it's about -7 if I can find shelter from the wind. Sprained ankle, if I stop I'm dead, but I'm moving slower now. This will likely be The Short Dark for me. 

1 hour ago, willski said:

Sorry, but I hate this... or at least the fact that it's mandatory.  Taking away player choice is ALWAYS a bad move.  Can you please make this optional?

It isn't really mandatory, you only need to wait till the event has ended. Or make your pc think it's already November 2nd...

Yup, it's that easy: you can switch between event/no event in an instant by changing the date in your o.s.

-

@ Hinterland: I think this Halloween special is fun and challenging, definitely a great addition, but an event that changes so many core elements of the game should be something optional and easy to opt out of. Especially if we're talking about holidays events: it really sucks to have your favourite game turned upside-down just when you finally have time to play it

34 minutes ago, Il Mufficida said:

It isn't really mandatory, you only need to wait till the event has ended. Or make your pc think it's already November 2nd...

Yup, it's that easy: you can switch between event/no event in an instant by changing the date in your o.s.

-

@ Hinterland: I think this Halloween special is fun and challenging, definitely a great addition, but an event that changes so many core elements of the game should be something optional and easy to opt out of. Especially if we're talking about holidays events: it really sucks to have your favourite game turned upside-down just when you finally have time to play it

We're definitely taking on-board the feedback about opting-in/out for future events, especially for in-progress games. Making that possible for this weekend would have meant a lot more work.

Really, with our focus on Story Mode, we didn't want to overly invest in what was essentially a light-hearted experiment. But we hear you 100%. :)

So far this is a pretty fun challenge. I started a new sandbox and spawned randomly in TWM. Took me a while to find the Cabin in the dark so had to hunker down in a corner/cave a few time to survive and get needed rest/warmth. An eternal dark game mode would be a fun challenge mode.

I do think a blanket change to all experiences is a bit much, but I do get that this is an experiment. I would think there are some players that just want to continue their sandbox or challenge games without modifications to the default experience. 

Keep up the awesome work!

Going against the tide a bit, but I'm finding the 4 Days of Night a nuisance. I've spent 37 days preparing my 'plan' only to have it all thrown into confusion. A bit like the quarterback's carefully planned move ruined by a streaker. Now I have to wait 4 real days before I can carry it out. 

2 minutes ago, heck said:

Question: when the weekend is over, will all saves roll back to the last save file before the event began?

Hi @heck, welcome to the forums. :)

Saves won't roll back--they will include whatever progress you did or didn't make over the weekend. If you choose not to play a particular save game from before the event, it will be right where you left it. And the game will go on as before. Hope that helps!

P.S. And welcome @The Boy as well!

OMG I love this! I randomly decided to start a new game (wasn't really paying attention, all I knew was that Halloween event was darkness/no sun), basically went in blind and then found a flappin' pie. A PIE! And a choco-bar worth like... 1600? Calories and was like holy F#CK, imma stock deez! The pies tho, they were so beautiful! I don't even like pumpkin pie that much in real life(I eat it very sparingly) and I'd still eat it!

... Are the devs gonna do other holidays? Christmas, Thanksgiving(TURKEY! &Devs can finally add potatoes), New Year's(which one?). But seriously, this Halloween thing is so much fuuuuuuuun! PIEEEEEEESSSSS!

Archived