The Long Dark Event — 4 Days of Night!

Admin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think it doesn't have to be dark all the time to get the special "darkness" feeling of the event into the sandbox.

20h night / 4h day or even just a 16h night / 8h day ratio would already be awesome for winter in a whole-year-circle. We have 8h days in winter here in central Germany, I bet it's about the same in BC for both are on the same (50th) latitude. :winky:

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

For true 24 hours of darkness you have to be within the arctic circle which is entirely above the treeline.

well that depends on what you mean by "true" - the sun does not rise above the horizon in the northern parts of scandinavia so that's dark enough for me ;)

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

well that depends on what you mean by "true" - the sun does not rise above the horizon in the northern parts of scandinavia so that's dark enough for me ;)

Those parts are also in the Arctic circle and should be above the tree line ^_^

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Those parts are also in the Arctic circle and should be above the tree line ^_^

Meet Alta near Nordkapp, no sun from late November to late January:

Altafjord_Norwegen.jpg

I'm not trying to say that there are trees in the Arctic, just that it takes more than a month of darkness to preclude trees from growing if that's a factor at all, I would've rather thought that it's permafrost and low temperatures like in the Arctic which make it impossible for trees to grow.

11 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Meet Alta near Nordkapp, no sun from late November to late January:

I'm not trying to say that there are trees in the Arctic, just that it takes more than a month of darkness to preclude trees from growing if that's a factor at all, I would've rather thought that it's permafrost and low temperatures like in the Arctic which make it impossible for trees to grow.

Mostly the permafrost and short growing season. It's had to have deep root systems in frozen ground and few trees can survive the frigid temperatures. Most of Canada would be permafrost if we had longer winters. That being said I'll concede there's exceptions. The warmth from the nearby ocean probably keeps Nordkapp green. However I don't see any towering forests of fir or cedar in your photo either :winky:

On 30/10/2016 at 9:55 PM, romerabr said:

Try to change the date on your computer,  disconnect from Internet and start the game. 

Hi romerabr, yes that does indeed work.
I had read a similar comment (not sure by who now) on someone elses post just after I had posted myself. :-/
I had actually forgotten all about that little gem. It's something we used to do on games a looong time ago. And since this game is sandboxed it never even occurred to me to try haha.

Archived