New Region: Arctic Tundra

Barretts Privateer

I had this idea way back when Timberwolf Mountain was introduced, but I wanted to bring it up again to see if there'd be any support for it still.

Basically, I was envisioning a barren, frozen waste, almost completely barren of trees (see attached picture). Save for a few homesteads here and there, signs of human life consist only of a highway running through the snowy expanse.

Herds of deer roam the area, scrounging off what little vegetation is left. Wolves hunt them in packs, as well as the plentiful Arctic hares that make their home underneath the permafrost. Being flat, there is almost no way to hide from the wind as it howls across the landscape. Any survivor unlucky enough to be caught out on these flats in a blizzard must hope they have time to make a snow shelter or take shelter in shallow riverbeds or the rare stand of trees.

Perhaps a location like this could connect to Desolation Point's north, or perhaps be as far north as the devs plan to extend the map. Anyhow, what do you all think?

dsc_0083-500x335.jpg

I like it but not until they have a sled mechanic of some sort created and NPC. With a vast expanse like that you would need to fashion snowshoes and some sort of sled to haul firewood/coal etc or you could not cook your rabbit/deer since there is so little wood.  just my opinion

Yup, I'd love to play in a tundra-like environement. An amazing snow desert, with endless white all around you and scaterred vegetaion and animals. I  think this is probably the most awesome biome on planet earth in my opinion, although I never been there, it looks awesome (but deadly) :)

1 hour ago, Barretts Privateer said:

I had this idea way back when Timberwolf Mountain was introduced, but I wanted to bring it up again to see if there'd be any support for it still.

Basically, I was envisioning a barren, frozen waste, almost completely barren of trees (see attached picture). Save for a few homesteads here and there, signs of human life consist only of a highway running through the snowy expanse.

Herds of deer roam the area, scrounging off what little vegetation is left. Wolves hunt them in packs, as well as the plentiful Arctic hares that make their home underneath the permafrost. Being flat, there is almost no way to hide from the wind as it howls across the landscape. Any survivor unlucky enough to be caught out on these flats in a blizzard must hope they have time to make a snow shelter or take shelter in shallow riverbeds or the rare stand of trees.

Perhaps a location like this could connect to Desolation Point's north, or perhaps be as far north as the devs plan to extend the map. Anyhow, what do you all think?

dsc_0083-500x335.jpg

My first thought when I look at that picture is whether a person would find a single man-made structure on such a map? Just you, your wits, and a snow shelter--is that what you had in mind?

It's an interesting idea but it has the same drawback as the "deep forest" map proposed a few months ago. Why would players visit this map and what would they do here? Unless this is a transition zone joining distant map regions I can't think of why anyone would want to go to the arctic tundra.

4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

My first thought when I look at that picture is whether a person would find a single man-made structure on such a map? Just you, your wits, and a snow shelter--is that what you had in mind?

Somewhat...I would figure there to be a few homesteads here and there, maybe an abandoned fueling station along the highway bit I mentioned. But, as said by @AZHockeyNut before, given the vast distances that may be considered, a sled mechanic may be necessary. 

@cekivi, I would do this as a challenge...I believe it could provide even Voyageur players some difficulty to survive, and as such would require a new style of play; perfect, in my opinion, for those who are getting a little bored with the current game meta (though, Interloper should be enough for some time).

2 minutes ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

I like the idea, but, as mentioned, firewood would be a major issue... Now if we had an ax and a sled, I think it would work! 

It would also be the perfect place for a major oil drilling operation and potentially a pipeline...

Sam

+1 from me

On 10/26/2016 at 4:47 AM, Barretts Privateer said:

@cekivi, I would do this as a challenge...I believe it could provide even Voyageur players some difficulty to survive, and as such would require a new style of play; perfect, in my opinion, for those who are getting a little bored with the current game meta (though, Interloper should be enough for some time).

A way to challenge bored players is by providing them with boring map ?!?! Hmm, unconventional thinking, il give you that.

There is also a logical flaw in this whole idea. Having several small house would make no sense - what they are doing there, in the middle of nowhere ? Having big house will turn it into boring version of PV. Leaving only highway, that is hardly an interesting basis for map.

And what exactly herds of deer and packs of wolves would be doing there ? First would have nothing to eat there(and nowhere to sleep) and second would have no firsts to hunt.

That picture is actually quite good indicator what players on this map would get... nothing.

Maybe this idea could be coupled with the mining operation someone requested a few threads ago? I mean, for an area around a really large-scale mining operation, it would make sense to be sort of barren beneath the snow. That would give us a central structure to explore, give meaning to the huge amounts of nothing around it and make it a challenging, unique experience.

In my view a vast, barren map would make sense as a transition zone. Like the ravine or the abandoned mine, only larger. The map would not provide enough resources to cross it. So the player would have to prepare, gather and pack resources before setting out.

3 hours ago, Hotzn said:

In my view a vast, barren map would make sense as a transition zone. Like the ravine or the abandoned mine, only larger. The map would not provide enough resources to cross it. So the player would have to prepare, gather and pack resources before setting out.

Basically my argument for both the proposed tundra and dense forest maps. They wouldn't be fun to live in but they'd certainly be interesting to try and traverse

7 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Maybe this idea could be coupled with the mining operation someone requested a few threads ago? I mean, for an area around a really large-scale mining operation, it would make sense to be sort of barren beneath the snow. That would give us a central structure to explore, give meaning to the huge amounts of nothing around it and make it a challenging, unique experience.

Quarry ? Maybe with rather extensive mine-maze on the side. Where you can actually get lost.

19 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Quarry ? Maybe with rather extensive mine-maze on the side. Where you can actually get lost.

So basically the mines in the open on steroids, I like it. And around it - a whole lot of nothing. I don't really know what natural resources the game region has aside from coal obviously, maybe @cekivi (I know I'm annoying ;)) can clear this up for us?

5 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I just imagine a would-be Survivor dying on his pile of gold, his last thought being "I may have no food, but I'm the richest man alive.".

Imagine that you are Midas. 8)

Also, gold is a good electrical conductor. So, mine some gold, conveniently find "electronics for Dummies", smelt it, shape it and then maybe you can do some small repairs of some simpler electronics present in the game. Altho is rather far shot.

Archived