Fun with Bears!

Timber Wolf

I like to have fun with the bears.  Here are some pictures.

I lured one bear down onto the ice next to another in the CH.

Two_Bears.thumb.png.ee5aef82a829c0c52a4a

They ignore each other.

Two_Bears2.thumb.png.0f822b54015c48b4f7b

I shoot one.

Two_Bears3.thumb.png.ec4b718c5af48633685

Then I shoot the other one.

Two_Bears4.thumb.png.bf8670dc3e7dd62943f

I like to hang out with the Old Bear on TWM.

OldBear3.thumb.png.cf585af3d0c7a61c12e62

I think he smells the fish.

OB6.thumb.png.0b797ce110bf3b6d0dd4c76f9f

He likes to follow me up the mountain.

OB2.thumb.png.d6c6a2df4eac8a908b6fe7cf3d

We don't get along when we are at the top together.

OB3.thumb.png.00fb084baddd9e8f8edb09324e

He doesn't like when I go to the lookout in the Coastal Highway.

OB5.thumb.png.5cc191e5a5ddd53750bfae8e1c

22 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

"Fun with bears !" ... by  Timber Wolf... 8)

Heck yeah @Dirmagnos !

I have pretty much mastered living on Timberwolf Mountain with the Old Bear, so I started a new run and am going to see how long I can last in CH.

I am on Day 12 now and managed to almost completely loot the Coastal Townsite without incident and have chosen the Fish Camp as my primary base.  I am hoping the close proximity to a fishing hut and the loads of easy to get wood from the pallets will keep me going for a while!

On 10/24/2016 at 3:50 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

try walking up on one that is sleeping (in CH by the trailer works good) or in ML by the trapper hut, when he is sleeping early morning walk up an hit him in the head with an arrow... loads of fun....

Hello @AZHockeyNut !

I haven't used the bow much, because I suck at using it so much.  But I'll have to give this a try.  I love playing with the bears!

I have turned to the bow as my main weapon. I like the challenge. you really have to sneak up on stuff. Especially bears...... I try to get on higher ground, even drop down ledges of rocks if I need to so they can't easily come after me when upset....they have a way of tearing you apart when mad lol

I haven't had any RL experience with them, but in the game the bears ignore the wolves and the bears ignore each other.  The pictures I took of the two bears above, was from when I tried to lure one to the other to see if they would fight.

I definitely think this is something they should implement into the game.  All of the wildlife should react in some way to all of the other wildlife.

I find it funny how if you shoot them in the head without killing them they charge you, but if you hit them in the butt they run away.  Since hinterland frowns on using bear and wolf for meat I seldom kill the bears. An arrow in the butt seems to work as well as the flare gun with a much greater supply

• 3 weeks later...

On 26/10/2016 at 8:27 AM, AZHockeyNut said:

anyone ever seen a bear attack a deer or wolf? or a wolf pack attack a deer? In RL or in game. There are no bears where I live so I have no experience with this.

Bears hunt only on very rare occasions, only when they see easy prey like baby deer or a wounded animal. They get almost all of their food from fishing and scavenging plants, berries, garbage etc. 

On 10/26/2016 at 8:31 AM, Timber Wolf said:

I haven't had any RL experience with them, but in the game the bears ignore the wolves and the bears ignore each other.  The pictures I took of the two bears above, was from when I tried to lure one to the other to see if they would fight.

I definitely think this is something they should implement into the game.  All of the wildlife should react in some way to all of the other wildlife.

You brought the Old Bear all through Timberwolf Mountain with you! Not sure I've seen that documented quite like that before. Interesting! It sounds like you still have a save game going in the that location. You say you've "mastered" it, but is any of it a struggle? :)

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

You brought the Old Bear all through Timberwolf Mountain with you!

Heck yeah!  Many times.  At this point I only ever play on TWM, which has been by far my favorite map ever since it was added.  And most of the time I'm playing with the Old Bear, because he really spices things up.

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

You say you've "mastered" it, but is any of it a struggle? :)

It is always a struggle.  Between the blizzards, fog and old Mr. Grumpy Pants - it can be tough to find chances to go out and get stuff done.

The first time I ever tried it I lasted for just over 100 days.  It wasn't until I had tried it many more times that I realized how lucky I had gotten the first time around.  I think it was a classic case of beginners luck.  As it turns out, TWM is the best place to take him on as it has some distinct advantages over the other places.

Getting to the top of the mountain is particularly difficult, especially if you don't know what to expect and aren't familiar with his behavior.  With no rifle, no bow, no arrows and that big beast stalking you - it is a must to be bold and as opportunistic as possible!

14 minutes ago, Best_Leopard said:

For some reason, I find this whole thing heartwarming.

It's funny you should say that.  I only made it about 20 days into my last regular sandbox game, because I actually missed having him around.  For some reason, I like that he pays so much attention to me.

Sometimes I even pretend he is actually out there patrolling the area, because he is protecting me. :)   Of course, that fantasy usually ends as soon as I step outside.

On 10/26/2016 at 5:31 PM, Timber Wolf said:

I spent some time sitting on the rocks above the bear cave at Unnamed Pond a while ago, just to watch the wildlife. You have bear, wolf, deer and rabbit all spawning there.

What I noticed is this:

-Bears take no notice of anything, except the player. They do stop to 'feed' on animal carasses that they walk near (I've seen them do this with wolf and deer, both pre-spawned and player-killed ones), but I'm not sure if this has any effect on the amount of meat that the player can harvest afterwards, or if it's just an animation.

-Wolves will run away from bears, but the bear never gives chase. The exception to this seems to be when the wolf is eating a carcass that it's just killed: in this case, both bear and wolf ignore each other. I observed a bear walk right up to a wolf who was eating a deer; the wolf took no notice at all, and when the bear arrived he just turned around and walked away again.

-Deer run away from wolves and bears, but not very far. I think this could be improved: in reality, if a deer senses danger it usually bolts about half a mile away before you've had time to say, "Damn, he must have seen me." And then it keeps going.

-Rabbits run from bear and wolves, but not deer. Again like with the deer, the direction and distance that the flee could be improved upon, I think.

More complex animal interactions are in the aspirational roadmap (wolfpack behaviour and wolf/bear interactions), but I'd guess that they are some way off being implemented, if they make it at all.

Negative, but it was really just an experiment.  I hadn't brought him to Desolation Point before and wanted to see what it would be like.

It had become too easy on TWM with him and really just too easy to deal with him in general.

I wish I could combine the Hunted and Nomad Challenges together!  Might just have to try that myself anyway.

43 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Great screenshots. So you never find a rifle or bow? Has to make it pretty hard.

If I remember the challenges requirements there are neither rifles nor bows to be found. The challenge actually ends once you find the only rifle available.

21 hours ago, mystifeid said:

So you never find a rifle or bow? Has to make it pretty hard.

There are no rifles or bows and the birch and maple saplings do not spawn, but you can find rifle rounds and arrow heads to tease you. 

It is pretty tough at first, but once you figure out his behavior you can marginalize the danger he presents.  I had an absolute blast when I was first getting to know him.  My heart would race as I performed tasks that used to be boring, like picking up sticks.  Unfortunately this is no longer the case, because I know exactly how to deal with him.  So, I guess now he's more like an ill-tempered pet that I have be really careful around.

• 3 weeks later...

The Old Bear heard about Forlorn Muskeg, so we took a trip and visited the hot spots.

The train wreck is a fun place to play chicken!

OB_FM5.jpg

After getting up to the falls he started to ignore me.

OB_FM7.jpg

The next day on the ridge he stopped ignoring me.

OB_FM6.jpg

I like hanging out at the homestead with him.

OB_FM1.jpg

But it can get a little tricky at times.

OB_FM4.jpg

Archived