More Places to Sleep

romeotheepic

3 hours ago, romeotheepic said:

I think we need more places to sleep at. Like car seats and chairs. I also wish there was a way to make some igloos, I think that would be neat.

Building an igloo would be nice, but that's a learned skill and we can't be entirely sure that our characters know how to do that - then again, we could make it what it is, a skill that is learned and unlocked by doing certain things or reading certain books.

19 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Building an igloo would be nice, but that's a learned skill and we can't be entirely sure that our characters know how to do that - then again, we could make it what it is, a skill that is learned and unlocked by doing certain things or reading certain books.

Couldn't you learn the basics by reading a book and the rest is to practice, much like the other skills in the game? But how long would it take to build an igloo, how long would it last and what would be the benefit compared to other places like a cave or just a wind-sheltered hole? 

A snow shelter is like a basic igloo I guess, maybe harvesting some fir bedding and placing it in the caves would make a nice implementation. 

A simple bedroll from something easier than bear would be nice. Say, harvesting extra beds for blankets to stitch together. Or a deer hide one.

Then after I craft a bunch, Id set them up with firewood next to them in every cave!

10 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

Yeah I have an interloper save at the moment in which my character is going to die from tired. I'm 10% condition, It's below freezing inside, but I have to go outside and find a bed (and I will die before I reach the next place from cold+tired) because I cant just huddle up in a corner.

Will: "Surrounded by blankets and nothing to drink...  no, thats not right... Im so tired I could eat snow right here... Gosh darn it."

Anyways, we need at least 1 more tier of bedroll. 

Interesting topic. If realism is the goal, then we should be able to sleep anywhere. However, that would dramatically influence gameplay and reduce difficulty on all settings. That would likely require a lot of adjustment work. I don't know if the devs should invest so much effort into this particular aspect at the moment.

If they should decide to do so, my suggestion would be to introduce a new item - the blanket. A blanket can be obtained by dismantling a bed, or it can be crafted by sewing 15 or so cloth together. Blanket would give +1 or +2°C when used for sleeping and would weigh 1 kg.

HOWEVER: Sleeping on the floor without anything or with just a blanket should induce a heavy risk of getting hypothermia, even if no freezing takes place. The ground is cold, even if not below 0°C.

Now if this could be combined with colder indoor locations which require a long-lasting fire to warm up...

• 2 weeks later...

i think... that would be nice to ACTUALLY try to build a igloo. LIKE, making the blocks first, then trying to position them in a way they STAY.

that would be fun. you could practice close to a house, then move to a desert area after you mastered the skill.

maybe a shovel could help? or just bare hands?

Archived