Wood Harvesting Skill

Muk_Pile

After chopping up sticks and branches for a few weeks in game, I would think our character would pick-up on small little details and techniques that would improve their ability to harvest wood (e.g. placing the branch on a rock/stump to use as an anvil, alternating your hatchet's angle of attack to improve chipping).  Here's how I think such a skill system would progress:

• Level 1
    • Base Harvest Times
      • Large Branches take 45 minutes with a regular Hatchet to produce 3 logs
      • Small Branches take 10 minutes to harvest by hand and 7 minutes with a Hatchet, producing 3 sticks
      • Wooden Crates take 15 minutes to harvest by hand and 10 minutes with a hatchet, producing 1 reclaimed wood
  • Level 2
    • 10% Quicker Harvest Times
      • Large Branches take 40 minutes with a Hatchet
      • Small Branches take 9 minutes by hand and 6 minutes with a Hatchet
      • Wooden Crates take 14 minutes by hand and 9 minutes with a Hatchet
  • Level 3
    • 20% Quicker Harvest Times
      • Large Branches take 36 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Small Branches take 8 minutes (Hand) / 5 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Wooden Crates take 12 minutes (Hand) / 8 minutes (Hatchet)
    • Branches now produce an additional Tinder Plug when harvested
  • Level 4
    • 30% Quicker Harvest Times
      • Large Branches take 32 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Small Branches take 7 minutes (Hand) / 5 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Wooden Crates take 11 minutes (Hand) / 7 minutes (Hatchet)
    • Sticks now produce 3 Tinder Plugs when harvested
    • Branches now produce an additional Stick when harvested
  • Level 5
    • 40% Quicker Harvest Times
      • Large Branches take 27 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Small Branches take 6 minutes (Hand) / 4 minutes (Hatchet)
      • Wooden Crates take 9 minutes (Hand) / 6 minutes (Hatchet)
    • Large Branches now produce an additional Log when harvested

So what do you guys think?  Is this a good idea and should be added to the game?  How could it be improved and revised to be as intuitive and realistic as possible?

I like it. It makes sense that you get better at chopping wood as you do it more. I would prefer less hatchet wear over additional logs as @Wastelander suggests. Even if I'm terrible at chopping wood, I would still take it all...

I do get the more calories with higher cooking skill though. As you can cook the meat in less time, you waste less calories.

@Muk_Pile AWESOME! Less wear on axe/hatchet. Ability to harvest items normally requiring a hatchet when you get high level. (without a hatchet I could still take apart a chair or bookcase, maybe not as cleanly or produce as much but if I am cold and desperate...I can get that done...

Also, harvest times on the Largest tree branches (that produce 5 cedar or 4 fir) should be added to that mix. Perhaps you learn to harvest the woods at different rates? Fallen birch maybe (which adds the benefit of the birch bark)   OR.... there starts your sled mechanic! You can hollow out a birch tree into a sled! Some line to pull it from Gut or mountaineering rope harvested into line?

It's a good idea. Too bad you can't mix in other tools as well. For instance, the "proper" way to fell a tree would be an axe to chop it down and remove the limbs, a bucksaw to make fire logs, and finally a hatchet (or axe) to split the logs. Making fire logs from a large branch or trunk without a saw is just way too time consuming and inefficient.

Basically - I'd like this plus an overhaul of the entire wood harvest and fire building mechanic :big_smile:

Archived