Adding wood to a fire

exeexe

When adding cedar to a fire there could be a slight chance that the fire will go out. And the smaller the fire is the higher the chance that the fire will go out.

And the same with fir, only that the chance should be even greater than for cedar.

So be careful when adding that fir to the fire

Thoughts?

Why would a fire go out if I add more wood (assuming it is still burning well and not already almost out)? In my experience adding wood when the fire is still burning will only prolong the fire, not make it go out.

Not saying I think the current system is great, it could sure use some improvement. And I think it would not be a bad idea to have to build up a fire using smaller pieces like sticks before you can add larger logs but once you've got a good fire going, there is no reason why it would go out when you add fuel.

9 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Why would a fire go out if I add more wood (assuming it is still burning well and not already almost out)? In my experience adding wood when the fire is still burning will only prolong the fire, not make it go out.

Not saying I think the current system is great, it could sure use some improvement. And I think it would not be a bad idea to have to build up a fire using smaller pieces like sticks before you can add larger logs but once you've got a good fire going, there is no reason why it would go out when you add fuel.

Adding large logs - especially green ones - to a small fire will put it out. The logs will smother the coals before they can heat up the fuel enough to ignite it. I've actually done this accidentally plenty of times when out ice fishing. It's also really easy to fix: remove the offending log, add dry kindling and oxygen.

So, while a good idea I don't think it should be in the game as it is now. There just isn't enough granularity with the fire lighting mechanic. :side-eye:

Archived