Money

Mikhail_Reign

For no reason, I'd love to be able to find a big amount of money. Obviously completely useless as money. Maybe the result of a bank heist gone wrong? Maybe we find D B Coopers frozen stash after he escaped to Canada? I'm not a story teller.

I just love the idea of starving off death by burning $10,000 bundles of cash.

We obviously have to set aside that Canadans are smart and use polymer money, like we do, and not paper like yanks, but you get the picture.

19 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

We obviously have to set aside that Canadians are smart and use polymer money, like we do, and not paper like yanks, but you get the picture.

I'm assuming you're an Aussie then? :winky:

It's a neat idea. Someone else proposed something similar on the forums last week but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps you could use the polymer bills to add some colour to fishing lures?

Oi, Oi, Oi. Yeah Dinkydi.

lures is a good idea, I've heard of people using them for that.

my idea is less about adding a new resource, and more about adding interesting things to find, that are 'interactable'. Paper sucks as firewood, but I figure a bundle of notes would be like a fire log.

its more so you have things to come across that are different and engaging, not necessarily optimal, but might be a key to survival in certain situations. Even if 90% of people never used it, those 10% of stories like 'I was freezing, dying and then I found a cave. I managed to stay alive by burning $1.3 million dollars out of $2m' would be awesome.

6 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

its more so you have things to come across that are different and engaging, not necessarily optimal, but might be a key to survival in certain situations. Even if 90% of people never used it, those 10% of stories like 'I was freezing, dying and then I found a cave. I managed to stay alive by burning $1.3 million dollars out of $2m' would be awesome.

I like your style.

On the more technical (?) side, how's this: an abandoned truck, two corpses beside it with a suspicious amount of scarves near them and some ammo. The truck obviously went offf the road as it tore into a curve at high speed. If you use your prybar to open the back of the truck you find a huge amount of burlap sacks full of cash which your character could maybe comment on (I'm a sucker for new voice lines since both voice actors currently in the game are absolute geniuses) which you can then harvest for tinder :D 

Unique "Junk" items lying around that you can use would be interesting.

Starting a fire with bills would be pretty hard, but theyd definitely burn in an established fire, or smoulder, but heat is heat. 

Itd be fun to see evidence of violence over the cash, just before the event renders it useless. Kind of like that bank robbery gone wrong @Mikhail_Reign sugested.

Could you imagine?  Robbing a bank, and then, poof, no richer than you were before! In fact, less so!

Just now, MarrowStone said:

Could you imagine?  Robbing a bank, and then, poof, no richer than you were before! In fact, less so!

Shoulda robbed the strategic maple syrup reserve (and yes, I will keep making fun of this, this is one of the funniest crimes in history) :D

1 minute ago, MarrowStone said:

Starting a fire with bills would be pretty hard, but theyd definitely burn in an established fire, or smoulder, but heat is heat. 

Here's another idea: Pad your clothes with it. Gives extra insulation (and your Survivor-nickname automatically changes to "Cash Money the Wolfslayer")

I have always felt the Newsprint and Newsprint Roll were too similar in game, as there is so much other paper around.  In the past I have proposed they switch one (newsprint) to a more generic 'papers'

Similarly, there are multiple flavors of soda that all game mechanicwise works the same.

We could combine these two ideas.  Keep Newsprint Roll.  Replace Newsprint with 'papers' (exact name to be determined) but acts mechanically the same way (can be harvested for 2 tinder rolls, or can be used directly as tinder)   Have 3 types.  Junk Mail; Business Papers; Old Money.  they'd each have their own picture, appropriate to the name.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2016 at 2:28 AM, Wastelander said:

Shoulda robbed the strategic maple syrup reserve (and yes, I will keep making fun of this, this is one of the funniest crimes in history) :D

Here's another idea: Pad your clothes with it. Gives extra insulation (and your Survivor-nickname automatically changes to "Cash Money the Wolfslayer")

Having lived on the streets I can tell you that any paper put inside/under your clothes especially a tucked in shirt...can provide excellent heat bye capturing your body heat in a more complete manner. This was certainly noticeable in the winter so it would make PERFECT sense on the game.

And other people do love soda. Not to mention that a familiar taste can give a feeling of home, of normalcy. What the whole discussion about soda has to do with the topic at hand is beyond me though.

Back toward money, should we consider coins a separate item or another form of scrap metal?

On 10/21/2016 at 3:35 PM, Mikhail_Reign said:

For no reason, I'd love to be able to find a big amount of money. Obviously completely useless as money. Maybe the result of a bank heist gone wrong? Maybe we find D B Coopers frozen stash after he escaped to Canada? I'm not a story teller.

I just love the idea of starving off death by burning $10,000 bundles of cash.

We obviously have to set aside that Canadans are smart and use polymer money, like we do, and not paper like yanks, but you get the picture.

Maybe this thread title needs to say Money : Cash paper notes.

else money could be anything? credit cards, gold,resources,barter..

Uh, guys, please put the tread back on topic. If you'd like I can always move the soda discussion to a separate thread.

For those wishing to discuss the merits and detriments of a morale system that tangent has been moved to a new thread:

.. I don't really get why you split the convo - it was an obvious tangent about the same topic - more variety to the items: be it money, or  different types of soda. I probably could have made the OP a little more generalised, instead of specifically focused on the addition of money, but I feel it was all the same topic, or at least similar enough to not warrant a different thread.

I was going to reply to something in the other thread, but now the conversation hasn't got an original point to return to - the created thread heading is essentially the same as this one, only less specific. You would have been better off changing the title of this thread to be less specific, rather then create 2 seperate threads.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:27 PM, RossBondReturns said:

Having lived on the streets I can tell you that any paper put inside/under your clothes especially a tucked in shirt...can provide excellent heat bye capturing your body heat in a more complete manner. This was certainly noticeable in the winter so it would make PERFECT sense on the game.

Definitely, stuffing your clothing with straw or newspapers should be a thing!

Archived