No more home delivered venison

mystifeid

There should be some randomization of the scatter direction for deer. Staying in Pleasant Valley Farmstead it is possible to herd about ten deer, one by one, back to the farmhouse for slaughter. With a more random scatter this may still be possible sometimes with a bit of luck but it should not be possible every time.

home_delivered_venison.jpg.52fd28c46d2ee

I've found just to the right when you go through the gate from the road, to the barn, nearly always has deer. I have a snowshelter set up just off the driveway and the deer walk right up to it. It's only like 20m from the barn - it's close enough that you can harvest everything in a blizzard and walk back to the barn before you freeze.

so yeah - the animals could do with a bit better spread.

15 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

I've found just to the right when you go through the gate from the road, to the barn, nearly always has deer.

Thanks for reminding me about these. I've been going up there and driving them all the way back to the Farmstead.

Heh - My base in PV is that barn (because of its central location you can get anywhere before you freeze in even the worst conditions, so you can ignore PV's blizzard prone-ness) and that snowshelter is where my food comes from. Set up in there. Sleep/wait here is deer. Kill and repeat. If need be you can bring over the wolf from the other side of the barn to hunt for you.

• 2 weeks later...

While I understand where you're coming from, I think this is a good mechanic (though this is the first time I've heard of anything like it).

What I mean is that this behavior seems very realistic. If I was actually in this situation, I would herd food sources towards my survival outpost in order to keep from having to go very far and risk attack or freezing.

That said, perhaps a good mechanic to implement is one where wolves/bears will 'hang around' a carcass for a limited number of days, to simulate their scavenging behavior and make it a little dangerous to harvest the carcass unless you do it quickly.

2 hours ago, Barretts Privateer said:

If I was actually in this situation, I would herd food sources towards my survival outpost in order to keep from having to go very far and risk attack or freezing.

Oh, for sure. Who wouldn't. But would the deer always flee in a direction  diametrically opposed to the direction of your approach?

That said, perhaps a good mechanic to implement is one where wolves/bears will 'hang around' a carcass for a limited number of days, to simulate their scavenging behavior and make it a little dangerous to harvest the carcass unless you do it quickly.

Currently, if you can herd deer close to a place of warmth it is possible to harvest them fairly quickly and without ever having to light a fire. So if you wanted to just use a deterrent like a wolf/bear to inhibit this, it would have to appear pretty darn quickly and then they themselves would become very easy prey.

7 hours ago, Barretts Privateer said:

If I was actually in this situation, I would herd food sources towards my survival outpost in order to keep from having to go very far and risk attack or freezing.

How? They are deer. They ain't gunna listen to you. And if my some miracle you did manage to get them somewhere, they would leave when they wanted because, as I mentioned, they are deer.

Archived