Vanishing Deer

mystifeid

I'm starving. I chase a deer until it is standing right next to the door of Draft Dodgers Cabin. I close in. Just before I stand to let fly an arrow, a blizzard starts and the deer blinks out of existence.

Not the first time this has happened.

Never seen a wolf do that.

On 17.10.2016 at 3:55 PM, mystifeid said:

One second they're there, the next they're not.

I don't know how to replicate and don't really want to know but I've seen it happen twice in the same general area at about the same time of day - late afternoon.

I've seen this once happening with wolves at the Mystery Lake. For me it seemed as an end of the game-lifecycle of the wolves ... you know, before they get spawned at a different location. 

• 2 weeks later...

I once watched a wolf chase a deer behind Jackrabbit (behind meaning where I would not normally go due to the weak ice). I was standing on top of Jackrabbit and the weather was clear, so I could see very far. I was watching with interest, as wolf and deer were running at the same speed, which I found quite unusual. Both ran away farther and farther from where I was standing, and at some point the wolf despawned . The deer immediately slowed down and turned around, walking gingerly back towards its original spawning area. It obviously was not bewildered by the wolf's disappearance. We must therefore conclude that indeed the visible despawning of animals is a natural phenomenon of the TLD universe, and that other TLD animals are used to it. We can further suppose that animals despawn once they are at a certain distance from the player, and that this distance is shorter for wolves than it is for deer.

1 hour ago, Doc Gonzo said:

I've had deer "despawn" in Mystery Lake ... like a previous poster said I think it's just part of the lifecycle of the wildlife rotation.

I tend to believe in the animals "bermuda triangle" theory, since I saw 2 wolves vanish on the same spoy, in different ocasions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2016. 10. 17. at 10:42 AM, mystifeid said:

I'm starving. I chase a deer until it is standing right next to the door of Draft Dodgers Cabin. I close in. Just before I stand to let fly an arrow, a blizzard starts and the deer blinks out of existence.

Not the first time this has happened.

Never seen a wolf do that.

Well, something like this I experienced too. At CH, in clear weather, I saw a wolf catching a deer. (I was in safe distance far.) Hurray, I said, the wolf has its share, then leaves, and the remaining will be mine (in Interloper it's a jackpot!). I waited 1hour, 2 hours, 3hours, almost frozen to death, and the wolf's still eating. I went to my house at Jackrabbit Island, to sleep 1hour. Upon returning, I saw the wolf just walking away, and the deer carcass was gone! No fur, no guts, no bones (and no meat). Nothing. It was annoying. I intend to try it once again, intentionally scare a deer toward a wolf, what happens. But if Aurora was right, I was simply very unlucky.

I've never actually had anything disappear before my eyes when I've been looking at at. But I've quite frequently experienced deer, wolves and bears appearing or disappearing when you look in another direction for a split second.

Especially at Coastal Highway: I've learned that if the Misanthrope bear is NOT there when you start to walk towards his cave, you should not take your eyes off that spot until you get there, or well past it. If you look away for a moment, the bastard will have appeared at the cave entrance when you look back.

Archived