No Jumping...? and what about restoring health?

mulderfox

I really like this game, it reminds me of slender for some reason - only here the terror is more realistic rather than a faceless "man" lurking about.

But why is there no jumping? running feels so slow, and you can't restore health - even if you take antibiotics, antiseptic, bandages, food, drink and sleep? I can understand if this is just alpha related misgivings, I just hope it won't be in the retail game.

I really like this game, it reminds me of slender for some reason - only here the terror is more realistic rather than a faceless "man" lurking about.

But why is there no jumping? running feels so slow, and you can't restore health - even if you take antibiotics, antiseptic, bandages, food, drink and sleep? I can understand if this is just alpha related misgivings, I just hope it won't be in the retail game.

The speed and jumping feel pretty realistic for moving through snow wearing winter clothing while carrying a loaded pack and a rifle...

But there is no jumping...

Precisely :). Try jumping while carrying a full pack and a rifle while wearing winter clothes and walking through snow sometime, and you'll see why I'm chuckling.

Seriously, though, some jumping/climbing ability would be nice to have when not lugging around a ton of stuff, but in most game circumstances I can't really see it being terribly realistic...

But there is no jumping...

That is true. I believe it would require a bit of an overhaul to how the player interacts with the world to add jumping. Hopefully, they will get to it when they add climbing and swimming (if they add climbing and swimming) to the game. For now, however, there is no real need for the jumping mechanic, unless you were going to try and Skyrim the mountains or something.

Maybe swimming if they venture out of the Canadian winter. Hopping into a river with a full pack and winter clothes on is pretty much a wonderful way to get hypothermia and die quickly. That said- having ice thin enough to break might be interesting- and would work well with the jumping dynamic. You're also pretty much done for if you break through the ice and you're on your own... true story.

The weight issue is irrelevant as jumping isn't possible even if you strip to your shirts (not recommended) :)

Sure, if you try jumping with 30+ KG weight, at most you'll get a jarring motion. But at least you feel more like a real person rather than a floating camera starving to death :)

I agree, jumping of some sort needs to be in. Yes, bunny-hopping with a 30kg pack on is ridiculous, but a little hop here and there is entirely possible. And yes, I have been hiking and hunting in the woods, and even with 100lbs of Elk meat on my back (not fun) it is possible to hop over small roots, and from rock to rock over a mountain stream. As it stands a small root with stop the player. The ability to cross small barriers, like rocks, crevases, fallen trees, and fences, would be appreciated. Perhaps some sort of automated crawl/climb mechanic. This also applies to climbing up rock faces. I wouldn't expect the ability to do full rock-climbing, but being able to scramble up a steep rockface (perhaps pre-generated to be able to) would be nice. It would make exploring the environment more interesting if you were on the look out for climbable terrain.

I'd be happy to see some mechanic that allowed you to step over small obstacles. At present, there are a few things in the game that make you walk around them when in reality they aren't an obstacle at all. Just bits of wood and such like that you would easily step over IRL.

Also, a modest climbing ability (especially if the appropriate gear was to be had) would let you get up on certain vantage points more easily to get the lay of the land. I'm not sure how the would work for getting back down from that position however!

so far i dont really see a need for jumping in this game, i suppose it would add more realisim to the game but i see myself getting injured very often if i jumped....also why exactly do you want jumping? what time in the game have you said "i wish i could jump right here"? i think a climbing mechanic would be nice to scamper up steeper hill sides though. also you can re-cooperate condition if you have a full belly, hydrated and sleep 6-12 hours and you are warm...ish

btw ive always thought the idea of breaking through the ice would be awesome....very scary though lol

what time in the game have you said "i wish i could jump right here"?

During the run I couldn't find a single rifle and was starving the death, I sort of wanted to end things quickly... it was a low point, but I tried to jump off the bridge near the Carter Hydro Dam. I thought it would be quicker, but than I realized I couldn't jump. This simple game mechanic had denied me a quick end. Instead, I wandered the landscape searching desperately for the hidden bunker; dying from a combination of starvation, heat loss, and exhaustion.

I agree, jumping of some sort needs to be in. Yes, bunny-hopping with a 30kg pack on is ridiculous, but a little hop here and there is entirely possible. And yes, I have been hiking and hunting in the woods, and even with 100lbs of Elk meat on my back (not fun) it is possible to hop over small roots, and from rock to rock over a mountain stream. As it stands a small root with stop the player. The ability to cross small barriers, like rocks, crevases, fallen trees, and fences, would be appreciated. Perhaps some sort of automated crawl/climb mechanic. This also applies to climbing up rock faces. I wouldn't expect the ability to do full rock-climbing, but being able to scramble up a steep rockface (perhaps pre-generated to be able to) would be nice. It would make exploring the environment more interesting if you were on the look out for climbable terrain.

I never tried to carry an elk, :) but modern car seats, equipped with all kind of electronics, are very heavy too and I can tell you, it is possible to do little hopps with such a heavy load on your back!

I'd be happy to see some mechanic that allowed you to step over small obstacles. At present, there are a few things in the game that make you walk around them when in reality they aren't an obstacle at all. Just bits of wood and such like that you would easily step over IRL.

Also, a modest climbing ability (especially if the appropriate gear was to be had) would let you get up on certain vantage points more easily to get the lay of the land. I'm not sure how the would work for getting back down from that position however!

My thoughts exactly!

I never tried to carry an elk, :) but modern car seats, equipped with all kind of electronics, are very heavy too and I can tell you, it is possible to do little hops with such a heavy load on your back!

Now try it in snow, and sub-freezing temperatures, and after walking for hours, and after climbing hills (also snow deep)... Grew up with that as a kid -- nothing more exhausting than even just 1 or 2 hops (if you manage to even stay on your feet)... it was fun watching the adults try too -- within about 5 minutes, we used to need to bring in the horses and sleighs just to get them back to the cabins or barns. ;)

I never tried to carry an elk, :) but modern car seats, equipped with all kind of electronics, are very heavy too and I can tell you, it is possible to do little hops with such a heavy load on your back!

Now try it in snow, and sub-freezing temperatures, and after walking for hours, and after climbing hills (also snow deep)... Grew up with that as a kid -- nothing more exhausting than even just 1 or 2 hops (if you manage to even stay on your feet)... it was fun watching the adults try too -- within about 5 minutes, we used to need to bring in the horses and sleighs just to get them back to the cabins or barns. ;)

:lol: Okay, I didn't consider that.

Archived