Rifle Cleaning Soundbite

Shenanigaming

First off, I’d like to say the sound engineering for this game is a delight for the ears, submerging my mind into the game itself, turning a long trek down a road into a meditative reflection on the environment. Never have I played a game where I’m forced to rely on my sense of hearing so much for survival, for shelter that might not be visible, crows for precious resources, and predators coming over the next snowdrift to rip up my face. 

That being said, I’ve a single quibble.

The rifle cleaning sound – it is physically painful to listen to, to the point it ruins the immersion of the game because I’m forced to mute it. I know I’m not the only one who experiences this, because my friends who also play TLD find themselves needing to mute it as well. 

Is there any way it can be changed so that it doesn’t invoke the aural sensation of nails on a chalkboard?

58 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Odd, I actually clean my rifle sometimes just because I want to hear it... there must be something wrong with me.

I find it sayisfying, when the Pipe cleaner *pops* out of the barrel. But then again Im never bothered by sounds like styrophome rubbing together or metal scraping.

In this case there would be something wrong with me, too ... i like the sound, too ... on the other hand: different people react different on sounds ...

I've taken a wider survey, and it seems to be a 5/7 split – 5 of us can't stand the sound, and 2 don't mind it at all. Your comment on not being bothered by styrofoam rubbing together brought up a memory of how it bothers me too... thankfully, it's only the rifle cleaning sound that gets me in-game. The rest are a delight.  

6 minutes ago, Tsayers1068 said:

I actually have rifles, and actually clean them.  It really doesn't make much of a sound at all.  The rifle cleaning sound in TLD sounds like a good way to ruin a rifle barrel, not clean it.

Without removing the sound effect altogether, what sorts of sounds would better approximate the activity, in your mind? :coffee:

I use oil but it's from a spray can.  That would make a sound but somehow seems inappropriate for this setting.  If it was in a regular bottle the amount you would use would be unlikely to make any sound at all.  I do use solvent to dissolve the carbon built up in the barrel, and I suppose one could pour a small amount from the bottle into something else to use...  Also it's probably worth noting that when you clean a rifle you first have to remove the bolt, which would make a sound like the one it makes between shots of the bolt action working.  Then along with cleaning the barrel you would take apart and clean the bolt itself, probably with a toothbrush or something similar, and this would of course make a brushing on metal sound along with possible metal on metal clinking from the pieces of the disassembled bolt.   When you were done you would of course put the bolt back in the weapon.  The cloth wiping sound could also occur any time in this process. 

1 hour ago, Tsayers1068 said:

I use oil but it's from a spray can.  That would make a sound but somehow seems inappropriate for this setting.  If it was in a regular bottle the amount you would use would be unlikely to make any sound at all.  I do use solvent to dissolve the carbon built up in the barrel, and I suppose one could pour a small amount from the bottle into something else to use...  Also it's probably worth noting that when you clean a rifle you first have to remove the bolt, which would make a sound like the one it makes between shots of the bolt action working.  Then along with cleaning the barrel you would take apart and clean the bolt itself, probably with a toothbrush or something similar, and this would of course make a brushing on metal sound along with possible metal on metal clinking from the pieces of the disassembled bolt.   When you were done you would of course put the bolt back in the weapon.  The cloth wiping sound could also occur any time in this process. 

If the standard rifle was a Ross, instead of a SMLE, we could have a chance of the bolt being reassembled the wrong way, which would then give you the lovely effect of it unraveling when fired and punching it's way through your eye socket into the brain...

My comment on how I dont mind the sound doesnt mean Id be angry if they changed it. I really wouldnt mind because its not that important to me. I do however love the sound of the brush popping out of the barrel. 

Another thig to consider is if lubricants are available to the PC as well. Maybe the extra scratchy scratchy is a result of not having any?

21 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Another thig to consider is if lubricants are available to the PC as well. Maybe the extra scratchy scratchy is a result of not having any?

That's why you need the cleaning kit. Running an abrasive along a rifle without a sealant to clean it up afterwards will just rust your barrel.

• 2 months later...

I didn't do my homework and find this thread before I had created another one, commenting on this subject. For the most part the sounds are appropriate, it's just a certain segment sounds especially 'scratchy and shrill' it's overwhelming on Twitch streams unknowingly, or unwittingly.

1 minute ago, slvrsrfr said:

For the most part the sounds are appropriate, it's just a certain segment sounds especially 'scratchy and shrill' it's overwhelming

I completely agree.  I find the cleaning sound so awful, that I now always mute the sound before cleaning the rifle.  Frankly, I don't ever want to hear that sound again!

On 10/20/2016 at 7:54 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

Without removing the sound effect altogether, what sorts of sounds would better approximate the activity, in your mind? :coffee:

yeah I say those that think it can be better upload a copy of your sound effect.

13 minutes ago, nicko said:

yeah I say those that think it can be better upload a copy of your sound effect.

This type of statement could be said of every single request that has ever been made on these forums.

On 10/19/2016 at 4:24 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Without removing the sound effect altogether, what sorts of sounds would better approximate the activity, in your mind? 

It doesn't matter to me what the sound is, so long as it isn't something akin to fingernails running across a chalkboard!

Archived