parachute

alone sniper

Parachutes are present in jet fighters (alongside the ejector seat, a series of small explosive devices to blow off the cockpit glass and other things) to safely eject a pilot in case the machine receives catastrophic damage due to malfunctions or enemy fire, in military transport planes for paratroopers and in some civilian planes explicitly for skydiving. The vast majority of commercial airplanes don't have parachutes, especially small bush-planes. That's because in the vast majority of cases, commercial airplanes don't explode in mid-air, whereas for military airplanes, that's a realistic threat, so the added weight by parachutes would offer no more protection. There's also the fact that parachuting requires training, which only fighter pilots, airborne infantry and hobbyists receive, the latter at a hefty fee.

Sure, it would be possible to jury-rig the cockpit of a bush-plane to contain an ejector seat, but for what purpose? The worst thing to happen mid-air would probably a TLD-event, and even if every system in the plane suddenly goes dark it's still possible to safely crash-land the plane without much injury. Also, the explosives required to make this feasible are most likely not sold to civilians. 

Notice the small explosion just before the big one - that's the ejection.

53 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

Hi guys !!!

One question : if the survivor is pilot and you begin at coastal highway and the plane is in TWM. 
Shouldn't be parachute or something ?? 

Hes a bush pilot not an airline pilot. If that helps, he flies a small propeller plane like a Cessna 172 skyhawk 

cessna172D_bw.jpg.cda3815aa727f46ddb2a96

Just now, MarrowStone said:

@Wastelander I think he just thought that the timberwolf mountain Cargo plane was the one the PC crashed in. 

Even if it was, those planes do not carry parachutes for reasons I mentioned above - unless literally everyone who ever dealt with a civilian plane was really really horrible at their job, the plane shouldn't catch fire and/or explode in mid-air, thus rendering the parachute mostly useless.

However, a downed fighter plane with a parachute somewhere, maybe in story mode (Mission: Find the pilot) would be pretty cool!

Just now, Wastelander said:

Even if it was, those planes do not carry parachutes for reasons I mentioned above - unless literally everyone who ever dealt with a civilian plane was really really horrible at their job, the plane shouldn't catch fire and/or explode in mid-air, thus rendering the parachute mostly useless.

However, a downed fighter plane with a parachute somewhere, maybe in story mode (Mission: Find the pilot) would be pretty cool!

Yes I know i wasnt disagreeing with you :)

Just now, MarrowStone said:

Yes I know i wasnt disagreeing with you :)

Neither was I with you ;) I just think that whenever I'm 'shooting down' (pun completely intended) an idea, like the parachute in this case, I should give as much reason as possible because otherwise that's just mean :D 

1 minute ago, alone sniper said:

Whatever. but when you start at  Mystery Lake and your plan is TWM in doesn't make sense !!!

That's just how the sandbox works right now, spawning you at random locations. Story mode will most likely look different and include at least hints of the plane.

2 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

Can't pilot have parachute and jump when plane is crashing??? 

Unless they have an ejection seat, which are, once again, not built into civilian planes, no. The pilot would have to go to the back of the airplane, equip the backpack with the parachute, do a number of safety checks, open the door and then jump, all while the airplane is out of control. Chances of survival are much better when the pilot tries to land the plane as gently as possible, and thus, parachutes are not issued to civilian planes.

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Unless they have an ejection seat, which are, once again, not built into civilian planes, no. The pilot would have to go to the back of the airplane, equip the backpack with the parachute, do a number of safety checks, open the door and then jump, all while the airplane is out of control. Chances of survival are much better when the pilot tries to land the plane as gently as possible, and thus, parachutes are not issued to civilian planes.

Okay !!

َThanks for info @Wastelander And @MarrowStone

5 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

The pilot would have to go to the back of the airplane, equip the backpack with the parachute, do a number of safety checks, open the door and then jump, all while the airplane is out of control.

But how about setting plane on autopilot? 

Oh, and one more thing: The chance of a civilian airplane failing are already minimal. Most accidents happen at either take-off or landing - once the plane is in the air, the chances for failure go from minimal to unbelievably tiny. The net safety-gain by parachutes is completely offset by weight, cost and more effective systems to prevent accidents in the first place.

Think about it like this: I live relatively close to some french nuclear power plants - relatively as in "I'd probably get some fallout if they popped". I don't keep a HAZMAT-suit at home because it'd take up space and money and would freak out visitors. The chance of such a reactor are so tiny that it offsets the need for a HAZMAT.

2 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

But how about setting plane on autopilot? 

By the time you have to actively get out of an airplane mid-air, your autopilot won't help you much. Also (this is where knowledge ends and speculation begins) I imagine those systems to be quite expensive, so they most likely aren't fitted into small airplanes, not to mention the additional weight and need for power.

Just now, Wastelander said:

By the time you have to actively get out of an airplane mid-air, your autopilot won't help you much. Also (this is where knowledge ends and speculation begins) I imagine those systems to be quite expensive, so they most likely aren't fitted into small airplanes, not to mention the additional weight and need for power.

Thanks mate !!!^_^

Of course, mate ;)

Now, here's the thing: The idea of a parachute isn't inherently bad or wrong or something - I'm kinda bored by corpses looking all the same, so a downed RCAF-airman dangling from a tree would be a cool addition. Bonus points if we can harvest the chute for cloth :D 

3 hours ago, alone sniper said:

How much should it give us?

Standard Chute when I was packing them in the RCAF was 28 feet in diameter for the CF-104, CF-5, and the CF-101, 24 feet for the T-33 and the Tutor.

Replying to the second post in this thread, Fighter pilots don't actually get any jump training, at least they didn't back when i was in the Air Force.  The Israeli's were an exception to the rule if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, EternityTide said:

Did you know that the G forces involved in ejection are so great that they actually compress the spine of the pilot, so much so that they end up a few centimetres shorter for quite some time after the event.

This can't be true because if the spinal cord is damaged you will be paralyzed, Unable to move your limbs or feel anything. 

2 minutes ago, vancopower said:

This can't be true because if the spinal cord is damaged you will be paralyzed, Unable to move your limbs or feel anything. 

Don't equate spinal compression to your spine being broken. Look it up, spinal cord compression is serious, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you are a paralytic.

• 5 months later...
On 10/14/2016 at 2:06 PM, EternityTide said:

Did you know that the G forces involved in ejection are so great that they actually compress the spine of the pilot, so much so that they end up a few centimetres shorter for quite some time after the event.

Late reply to this, but better late than never.

The above was true for the early seats which were powered by an explosive charge (37 or 40mm cannon shell), not so much with the rocket powered seats in service since the late 50s, which are somewhat gentler as far as G forces go.

On 10/13/2016 at 1:03 PM, Wastelander said:

Of course, mate ;)

Now, here's the thing: The idea of a parachute isn't inherently bad or wrong or something - I'm kinda bored by corpses looking all the same, so a downed RCAF-airman dangling from a tree would be a cool addition. Bonus points if we can harvest the chute for cloth :D 

As you probably know, parachutes are made out of nylon, so that they are relatively light. Harvesting this wouldn't give you cloth, realistically. Clothes are sometimes made from nylon, but have no warmth to them. I think that you could repair with the nylon, but would result in a debuff on that clothing item. Just an opinion, though.

Archived